Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Side Button or Rear Clicky

Hi,
It seems that quite a few folks favor the two button set up so far .Thank you for your reply pal.

Rich:)

Safety is the reason I said rear if only 1 switch because a side switch is handy but not as safe.

Funny story, when I have a multi watt laser in each hand I often switch them on and off with my chin so that I can make sure to keep them pointed at the ground. ( My 5W+ builds are often heavy and long 3 x 26650's )

When we build 5W+ HH lasers they really should have both rear and side switches in lieu of an aperture shutter, so yes, I think 2 switches would be a great way to make them and it would add value.

Last edited:

Encap

Hi,
Side and rear still in the lead, Great input guys basically this gives me ideas how to build them. Just finishing up on a REAR clicky 2X26650 AL / copper core /24AWG wire. i have a tendency to counter sink the rear latching switches so its harder for a accidental firing and you can stand them up.

@ Encap,
I try to machine different ways so if a customer want a specific type of firing button or buttons you made a good point..

Good idea --keep what you pre-make flexible enough to allow final host to accommodate whatever switches the customer might want.
May be easier said than done space wise.
I would think the basic default configuration would be a just tail clicky if nothing else is specified/required by the customer.

depends on your host and application,if the laser is low powered then either of those are good and it goes to you for what you prefer in the host you got.

in the other hand if you have a high powered laser both would be great to have some extra protection,my nubm08 build has only 1 side switch and im getting paranoid with it so i made a black metal frame and always leave it in front of it so if it accidently turns on to not burn my house :shhh:

i know i could just keep removing and inserting the batteries but this is boring as im using it couple of times every day

Hi, Encap & Red,
Ok were rolling now , two switches for high power would you say above 3W's ? and one switch for anything below 3W's. The two switch requires the host body to be longer due to the switch being in front of the pcb board . say even a two switch in a 2X18350 host would make it longer that usual. But thats not an issue were not talking longer by much. I see the replies here are going towards more of the safety factor than comfort control. So far the to switch replies are ahead , momentary or latching in both groups. Thank you for all this info it will come in handy when i machine a two switch host.

Side switch for me.

I had my custom 473 in the best setup, side slide switch, off, armed, and on, where armed would turn it on if you pressed the button above the slider.

39602d1347997713-vintage-light-diy-473nm-100mw-ancient-light-s-son-p9180328.jpg

Hi
@Diachi
Ok got it two switch builds are still in the lead thank you buddy.
@ Z,
They are awesome I have the military field flashlights in desert tan, black, camp, and of green and they all have that switch configuration.They make great Laser hosts and they can take 2x32650,s with a tail cap spring mod I do. Thank you for the pic

Interesting conundrum !! I found a special switch....with three (3) positions...

1) Off
2) Arm
3) On

I used a wiring arrangement which lite up a small Red LED...in the Arm position....and then...a small Green LED in the On position.

It was a three position toggle;
Full left = Off
Centre = Arm
Full right = On

So....one must move thru the sequence to power up the driver.
Details on my " Purple pHaze " build.

SO....I could not find a smaller version of this switch....which is a larger toggle format.

SO...all that blah, blah...But...for safety sake....for me that function switch would be the best choice....but...smaller....and with any high power.....a side switch....and a tail lock...I suppose would be a good safety choice
....but a side switch is always preferred to a tail cap...if I had to choose between the two

And really...who is gonna put a big honk'in High Power in their pocket....where a side switch could be accidently turned on....well...Hmmmm ???? Maybe a small High Power 450 LD with a side switch may be a problem....SO...with that...a tail switch would be the best option ! Confused yet...yea...me too !!!

I suppose....each build needs to be considered. As usual....there are pro's and con's with any option... Good luck figuring it out !!! Hahaha....I want a voice activated LD control....so....Mhhhh ??? " Laser On " gets'er going !!! Whatever !!

Beam Out

Last edited:

Encap

SO...all that blah, blah...But...for safety sake....for me that function switch would be the best choice....but...smaller....and with any high power.....a side switch....and a tail lock...I suppose would be a good safety choice
....but a side switch is always preferred to a tail cap...if I had to choose between the two

And really...who is gonna put a big honk'in High Power in their pocket....where a side switch could be accidently turned on....well...Hmmmm ???? Maybe a small High Power 450 LD with a side switch may be a problem....SO...with that...a tail switch would be the best option ! Confused yet...yea...me too !!!

I suppose....each build needs to be considered. As usual....there are pro's and con's with any option... Good luck figuring it out !!! Hahaha....I want a voice activated LD control....so....Mhhhh ??? " Laser On " gets'er going !!! Whatever !!

Beam Out

If two switches, tail power and side for laser on---a small power on LED to know if power is on and laser off, makes good common sense, safe operation wise. Maybe an illuminated tail clicky if not a separate hole in the host for an LED or a side switch that is illuminated when power is on

Last edited:

Benm

To me it really doent matter much - as long as it is not a momentary push button but something that stays on if i want it to.

As in using two switches: that could be a an interesting safety feature, where you would first have to do enable power with the rear click button and then can turn on the laser with the side switch.

This would require some electronics though, otherwie you could just leave the sideswitch on and still power it up with a single click of the tailcap button.

I'm sure this can be done though, and with high power lasers you don't want mechanical switches in the main current path really: the losse across mechanical switches are so great it would be better to switch by mosfet or such and have solid connection otherwise.

Hi,
Wow now were cooking all these great ideas from the members are awesome. Gets you to think about how folks have different opinions with some solid explanations to go with it.
Thank you Encap and CDbeam and Benm you guys get a thread going with some cool ideas.

Zom-B

Make it

day321_cylindermaze.jpg

or

7b9b58819b4d51d4a8691242124c1a90--combination-locks-hand-made.jpg

so that you can't accidentally turn it on.

But the downside is, maybe it will attract kids.

Last edited:

Cel

Actually by having both a side switch and a rear (tailcap) switch, the laser can be operated as if it had only a side or a rear switch by leaving the other switch on the 'on' position.

I also like the 'off', 'armed', 'on' sequence, with optional led indicators.

Another option would be having 2 side switches, one momentary and another clicky. Add a rear switch if wanted.