Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Showing off my PHR-803T build

Ginge

OK, I know its not a very impressive build (I'm pretty sure nearly everyone makes this for their first laser) but I'm proud of it, damn it.

It's a PHR-803T diode. The host is just some crappy Coleman aluminum torch that I sanded for a cooler finish. it's being fed 125ma, but I'm not sure exactly what it outputs. This was a blast to make and it was pretty painless thanks to some LPF members help. I can't wait for my next build... Hopefully it will be a good 10 times more powerful than this :p

Pictures are crappy because i took them with my computer (my buddy pointed the laser at my computers camera after i finished it and now there is a little violet dot burned into it to forever remind me)

-Shawn

Attachments

• Photo on 5-8-12 at 11.04 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-8-12 at 11.04 PM.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Photo on 5-8-12 at 11.05 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-8-12 at 11.05 PM.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 341
  • Photo on 5-8-12 at 11.02 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-8-12 at 11.02 PM.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 334

JLSE

At that current with an aixiz glass lens, you should be seeing around 115mW~125mW
depending on the diode.. Nice work :beer:

Ginge

@JLSE, I have a 405nm collimation lens from rayfoss. Would that provide a noticeable increase over the aixiz lens?

I like it! That host has a Steampunk kinda' feel. Nice...

JLSE

@JLSE, I have a 405nm collimation lens from rayfoss. Would that provide a noticeable increase over the aixiz lens?

I couldnt tell you.. When I was working with a lot of PHR's it was some
time back, and used the same lenses all the time. Comparisons have
been made between lenses on the forum, have a look in the search.

Aside from that, I cant tell you much..

sinner

The good old PHR's , thats one awesome looking DIY laser!

congratz!
looks nice )
im still waitin for my 826 and resistor(for dummy load) to ship but i think that i will break my diode while soldering it :(

Ginge

Thanks for all of the compliments, they're much appreciated!

I was a little worried about ruining my components while soldering too, personx. Those parts are pretty small and I'm not very experienced with soldering in general. Practice making quick, small soldering connections before you try to solder anything to your diode or driver. I just used a small old circuit board and tried attaching some wires to it in different places. It's definitely worth the time.

ped

Good work, looks a 100 times better than my first build :crackup:

you did a good job! looks cool too. how does the inside look? the insides of my first one that worked looked like shit:barf:

Last edited:
The host is just some crappy Coleman aluminum torch that I sanded for a cooler finish.

Its not a Crappy Host.:p I love this Host. I just bought one last week they where on sale at my store.:)

365dd2b0.jpg

I Like how yours has the 2 tone. It goes perfect.:gj:

Nice first build. The PHR diodes are a good choice too because they're cheap enough if you kill one you're only out a few bucks and they're something that you typically don't see every day. I built one about a little over a year ago and even though it's one of my lowest powered builds it's still one of my all time favorites. FWIW mine is being driven at 104ma and putting out 87mw so I'd guess yours is in the 100-110 or more range. Just be careful because that's getting into the power range where potentially serious eye damage can happen if you get hit. Have (safe!) fun with your first build.

Ginge

Its not a Crappy Host. I love this Host. I just bought one last week they where on sale at my store.

Haha, correction, it WAS just a crappy LED torch ( i got it for ~$8 :D ). Now it's badass! I like the straight silver host. Is that your heatsink sticking out of the front?

you did a good job! looks cool too. how does the inside look? the insides of my first one that worked looked like shit

Thanks! The inside isn't too bad, but it could be greatly improved. The design of the host made it difficult to wire with my limited supply of tools and budget. My next laser though, shall be a masterpiece! JK, but I can't wait to improve upon a new design after what I've learned from this one.