Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should we have a new Forum Marketer role on LPF?

What do you think?

• Other, please suggest alternative options.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
As recent threads have shown such as H2Oxides http://laserpointerforums.com/f58/community-goal-100116.html
There has been a recent decline in activity here on the forum over the last couple of years.

Alaskan has come up with the idea of posting comments on laser related YouTube videos to drum up some attention to the site.

Reaching out to find others who might be interested in the laser hobby, we have a community at laserpointerforums.com where we post our projects, share ideas or just ask for help.

And I thought it may be a good idea to assign select individuals the role of promoting the forum tactically, rather than everyone spamming random videos and becoming a nuisance.

I just want to know what everyone's thoughts are on the idea.

A) Bad idea, don't market the forum.
B) Good idea, have select individuals take on the role.
C) Good idea, have anyone take on the role.
D) Other, please suggest alternative options.

forum_marketer.png

Last edited:

Good idea, but there is no way to control who might do so, selected or not, but I doubt anyone who would take the time to do so would be reckless about it, simply because to take the time to work on it also means they care about the forums reputation.

Expected edit: However, asking for volunteers, or assigning individuals out of the volunteers would promote ownership of the job and likely produce better results, simply due to expectations they would work on it as a volunteer. I already voted, but on second thought, better to find volunteers and make assignments, maybe a minimum amount of time in the forum a qualifier?

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Anyone you wants to can, but your edit is the point I was going for. Morale of doing something good for the forum and community.

may be a colorful gif laser show background for the forum instead of black and white?

may be a lpf youtube chanel?

and lpf facebook page....

and may be an lpf classified market place since member always put things up for sale...

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
A laser show background would look cool, but not good for those with slow internet or want a non distracting page.

But I like the idea of a LPF Youtube channel. :) We could post safety videos, forum advertisements as well as some cool member footage that we have. :beer:

Radim

Nice idea, Oliver. I'm happy to suggest the LPF to anyone interested, what I actually did already. Maybe facebook page - there is some but it does not look like being used much. And to link to other social media as well. Maybe even some button with share options might be added to forums features to share posts from here to other social media and attract more interest. I think there is a lot of potential in social networks in general.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Radim, any referrals for LPF are is positive. :)
Social networking could be a way forward for us. But we will need people to manage them, and we will also need Coldshadow's input on the idea as it his forum after all.

Radim

Of course, let's see Coldshadow's (and others) opinions.

I believe if LPF could link with various tech, laser, edu etc. fan pages on FB (and other social media), this could help move forward the community and to enhance both sides - LPF and the other party. Also for FB page content - interesting threads/posts from LPF might be shared there by administrators to keep fans interested and spread the work community does here (it's a pitty it is just here on LPF - many interesting projects are shown and discussed here and a lot of inspiration for science students project). I believe it might even help to reduce laser incidents and accidents as strong focus on safety will be likely promoted even externally. In addition laser companies might be willing to cooperate and support LPF and community more as there will be potentialy new customers for them if e.g. a review on new laser made by a member here is shared on FB page. I really lack some deeper interconnection here, when thinking about it. Of course to mention some disadvatages - we can expect more spamming, trolling, and still repeating same questions to appear more, but this might be reduced by linking to kind of sticky thread with general information about particular topic IMO.

In addition maybe some motto like: "Forums not only about laser pointers..." should be considered (in that sense, I believe there will be much better motto made up), just to keep current URL and name - to be honest - pointers are just vast minority here - what is very good IMO...

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
More linking with companies and education could be highly beneficial step for this forum. Getting the word out that we are not just about producing the highest powered portables possible and that we care about safety, science and technology could be rather important. Social networking however is something I will keep in mind. :)
Trolling and spamming is one of the major negatives surrounding publicising LPF more.

Sta

I'm going to recommend the forum in my laser videos (some of which get many thousands of views)!

Radim

Well, if so, I might add some link to LPF in my instagram and FB posts (although not many followers are there - hopefully "yet"). Anyway does LPF have some hashtag? Like #laserpointerforums to be used? I've found just 5 pics under this hashtag on insta - from kookapeli.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Just use #lpf instead as it will be easier to catch on. That is what I'm going to use on my laser related posts from now on. :)

Razako

Good idea IMO. Even if we mostly get "What burning laser should I buy" types of posts, some of those people will possibly stick around and contribute long term.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes exactly Razako, it is attention after all. We need people that want to learn and stay with the forum.