Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp GH04955A2G/ The New 495nm diodes

18LJ

Hi 18LJ, you can do Paul a solid and bring him a set screw:)
And yes Paul is a wealth of info:beer: but just so you know:shhh: he doesn't like American beer....

Uhh i can hook up a medicine bottle that has that size set screw but ive misplaced my calipers so if he doesnt have a pair it might be a bit of a guessing game digging through a mixed skittles m&ms bag of assorted screws to find. And just so everyone here is in the know.... america makes the best gdamn beer in the whole wide world!... as long as you count belgium part of america....

Uhh i can hook up a medicine bottle that has that size set screw but ive misplaced my calipers so if he doesnt have a pair it might be a bit of a guessing game digging through a mixed skittles m&ms bag of assorted screws to find. And just so everyone here is in the know.... america makes the best gdamn beer in the whole wide world!... as long as you count belgium part of america....

:crackup: You guys! Rich has sent me the correct size ( I hope) set screw and allen wrench which should get here Friday according to the tracking on the parcel. I used to make my own beer, but gave up drinking alcohol sometime ago because it wasn't doing it for me any longer. I was never crazy about beer made with rice.....which is every brand made here in the states. Hated Crudweiser and Coors horse whiz. I used only barely that I malted and used some hops that grew wild in Colorado. It made a very nice malty brew with just a hint of bitter to it. Anyhow, I will be ready to finish this way over due build on Friday after the mail runs. :thanks:

Hi Paul,
You can bet your Beep Beep they are correct . Sent two sizes i only use 6-32 and 4-40 sets. the only reason i forgot to include them is because there were other jobs on the bench besides your free host. And i put your build ahead of three others to get you going. Enjoy

Rich:)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Hi Paul,
You can bet your Beep Beep they are correct . Sent two sizes i only use 6-32 and 4-40 sets. the only reason i forgot to include them is because there were other jobs on the bench besides your free host. And i put your build ahead of three others to get you going. Enjoy

Thanks, Rich. I'm happy to know that one of them will definitely fit. But, this host was not free. I paid $30.00 plus shipping for it. I'm sorry if you feel I somehow took advantage of you, but I bought this host just for this 495nm build, and after waiting on an overdue driver, it is frustrating to wait for a set screw now. I had hoped to finish this build a week ago. :undecided:

Hi Paul,
Wish you the best on your build buddy. glad you will receive the set screws soon. Yes i know it can be frustrating waiting for parts to finish a build. As for the free host i was referring to the first one i sent you , hey no problem willing to help a LPF member when i can. Cant wait to see the end results of that awesome build pal.

I do appreciate the free host, but if you'll recall, I can't get it apart. I think it is either the paint on the threads, or possibly the rubber O rings snagged. It was kind of you to send, just wish I could use it. My plan is to heat it up one of these days and see if it will come apart then.

18LJ

Rice? gross i wasnt aware that it was used to brew beer? Ive been interested in trying out homebrew for awhile its just a project ive never gotten around to starting i have all the equipment thoughjust needs to get some hops/yeast and clean out the carboy thats been getting dusty in the attic. Washington has a wealth of local micro brews around. Im not really into bitter beers like ipa's which totally dominate the market recently (someone told me this is cuz ipa takes shortest time to brew) i prefer sweeter beers lambics belgians barleywines porters. Etc. Neway, t
Good luck with the build, post some photos when you complete

Yeah, rice. It's way cheaper than barley. You'll need a sparging ton to get it to malt. Or, if you're lazy, just buy Danish barley malt. Hops have no effect over the time it takes to brew beer. It's mainly the type of yeast and temperature. Since you don't pasteurize it, you get these tiny little bubbles. Pasteurization removes them and so they just carbonize beer like soda pop. Yuck!

I hope is to finish my build tomorrow and take some beam shots later in the day. Then I will make a review thread on it and the nice host I got from Lifetime17. I've been looking forward to this for a long time now.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
Yes you should be getting you package today buddy cant wait to see that diode in action. So far no one has produced any beam shots that i can recall from it. I should be building one in a pen soon . Have to find the time..

Last edited:

GSS

Hi Paul, just have to ask this silly question if you have tried any type of leather or rubber strap to loosen the ends..Strange that both the front bezel and the tail cap on the 501b host are that tight. I have easily 6 of them and only on one the threading felt a little rough on the cap but not jamed and a little vasoline smoothed it nice.
To put heat to it regardless of how low the temp, will be a shame to ruin the anodizing.
In any way did you over squeeze the thin walls of the host to distort it?

Last edited:
No, I had another one that I used some leather and a vice with a huge pair of channel locks to get apart, but it still marred the finish. I decided to try something different with this one as I want it apart, but not at the cost of the finish. It's painted, as near as I can tell and the threads on the one I got apart had paint on the threads.

So, my package is out for delivery, but haven't gotten it yet. Who did you get your 495nm diode from, Rich? I haven't seen a sales thread except for mine and it went fast.

Sorry for the double post, but this is worth it. My set screw didn't get delivered, so I called the post office at 3:00 and got them to find it still left at their office. They sent a carrier out and I got the package right at 4:00 P.M.

I now have the laser built and the color is AWESOME! I am waiting for the nail polish to dry because I had to use an acrylic lens. This is right at 493nm, so it is blue, but it is also green too. I plan on taking some photos and putting out a review thread on it today. :wave:

And I'm with a friend tonight with better soldering equipment than I have. Maybe I'll be able to get mine running as well. Gonna test it on one of the spare >505's I have first this time.

Reactions: GSS
And I'm with a friend tonight with better soldering equipment than I have. Maybe I'll be able to get mine running as well. Gonna test it on one of the spare >505's I have first this time.

Mine has failed before I could get it finished because the paint between the sections on the host kept the ground from making a good connection. But, I suspected the spring on the contact board first, so I cut it down from the back side. Unfortunately for me the positive connection for the red/positive wire on the contact board was only soldered from the back side, not fed through as I normally do them. Now I am trying to repair this host AGAIN! :undecided:

jnrpop

@Paul,
Failed as in the diode is LeD? :O

Mine has failed before I could get it finished because the paint between the sections on the host kept the ground from making a good connection. But, I suspected the spring on the contact board first, so I cut it down from the back side. Unfortunately for me the positive connection for the red/positive wire on the contact board was only soldered from the back side, not fed through as I normally do them. Now I am trying to repair this host AGAIN! :undecided: