Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp 395nm GH0393AA2G

Hi everyone, I bought myself a few of these just to have them in the collection. Unfortunately these are exceptionally un-interesting, unlike most other new wavelengths. Just sharing/compiling some info for those who have seen them floating around.

First off, they are multimode:

And second, the color is extremely similar to 405nm, even pushed hard to 410nm or so... so similar that they're practically identical unless compared side by side. This is an exaggeration, but nails about what to expect in color. 410nm - 405nm - 395nm

And to verify wavelengths being compared:

And notes on polarity if anyone ends up getting them anyway.

Not much else to share, I just threw it into a C6 and it's running about 500mW with a lot of room to go higher.

I haven't measured it but it should be right around 500-550mA; I used a micro flexdrive with all the resistors soldered and moved it a hair past the lowest setting on the pot.

I was never much of a fan of violet lasers myself. Where'd you buy these from? (if you don't mind disclosing your source)

Hi everyone, I bought myself a few of these just to have them in the collection. Unfortunately these are exceptionally un-interesting, unlike most other new wavelengths. Just sharing/compiling some info for those who have seen them floating around.

First off, they are multimode:

And second, the color is extremely similar to 405nm, even pushed hard to 410nm or so... so similar that they're practically identical unless compared side by side. This is an exaggeration, but nails about what to expect in color. 410nm - 405nm - 395nm

And to verify wavelengths being compared:

And notes on polarity if anyone ends up getting them anyway.

Not much else to share, I just threw it into a C6 and it's running about 500mW with a lot of room to go higher.
Lovely laser color, I was wondering what's their maximun output power? Does it has a reverse zener diode protection? What's the time life? BTW AWESOME graphics, what software did you used?

I was never much of a fan of violet lasers myself. Where'd you buy these from? (if you don't mind disclosing your source)
Unfortunately I'm going to have to keep my source secret as whenever they do get disclosed, they get flooded with emails and then don't bother with anybody anymore. My source tends to get some things a little early - or get crazy engineering samples out of the blue - so they're not people I'd be comfortable losing... I hope you understand.

Lovely laser color, I was wondering what's their maximun output power? Does it has a reverse zener diode protection? What's the time life? BTW AWESOME graphics, what software did you used?
Max output rated is 350mW, though they also have a 405nm with the same rated power that hits over 2W when pushed hard... I made no attempt to push my diode to that extent, however barely moving the pot I can see a difference in output, hence my claim there is a lot of room to push harder. I have one spare I can sell to a kill fund, but we'd need someone trustworthy who'd be willing and able to do that as I am not the right person for the job. $150 shipped. redacted

No zener diode based on the product page, look for the product # here, then see it has pinout 9: http://global.sharp/products/device/lineup/selection/led_laser/laser/index3.html

No idea about lifetime, really hard to say on diodes that are still listed as "Under Development" and sold early :)

Software for the spectrometer is Ocean Optics SpectraSuite (it's old, but I like the color coded graph). Hardware is an Ocean Optics USB2000.

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Unfortunately I'm going to have to keep my source secret as whenever they do get disclosed, they get flooded with emails and then don't bother with anybody anymore. My source tends to get some things a little early - or get crazy engineering samples out of the blue - so they're not people I'd be comfortable losing... I hope you understand.
Typical

Typical indeed. I spent a lot of time finding and building the relationships with the suppliers I buy from. As a wavelength collector, it is in my best interest to get first dibs on unique stuff.

If people want these diodes, Phillip has already offered to set up a group buy for them, at cheaper prices than I can get to boot.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Well that's good at least, about the group buy.

Hmm, so you first, got it

Last edited:
You just look for any opportunity to argue don't you? So much that you have to edit it in later?

Yes, I go first because I put in the effort to get myself into this position, and I have no obligation to level the playing field.

Allow me to elaborate on what I stated before, once a source is shared they get bombarded by us, based on past experience. None of them like us, and they especially won't like tons of tiny orders for one diode at a time. Most of these suppliers want bulk orders because that's how they make their money. We are a nuisance, and I am no exception. I am not a customer they are afraid to lose, thus I will do what I can to not be lost.

If you want to be in the same position, put in the effort yourself to find these people or someone even better. Start looking around on Google, alibaba and madeinchina, or contact inactive members who don't care anymore. Send out hundreds of emails and you're bound to find someone with something crazy... eventually. Good luck.

why did I even bother coming back...

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You just look for any opportunity to argue don't you? So much that you have to edit it in later?

Yes, I go first because I put in the effort to get myself into this position, and I have no obligation to level the playing field.

Allow me to elaborate on what I stated before, once a source is shared they get bombarded by us, based on past experience. None of them like us, and they especially won't like tons of tiny orders for one diode at a time. Most of these suppliers want bulk orders because that's how they make their money. We are a nuisance, and I am no exception. I am not a customer they are afraid to lose, thus I will do what I can to not be lost.

If you want to be in the same position, put in the effort yourself to find these people or someone even better. Start looking around on Google, alibaba and madeinchina, or contact inactive members who don't care anymore. Send out hundreds of emails and you're bound to find someone with something crazy... eventually. Good luck.

why did I even bother coming back...
Well you flew off the handle pretty quick (should work on that). I edited my comment to add the latter part fyi. So now you're saying you don't have special relationships with these sellers?
Yeah I know that they don't like small orders. I think everyone knows that. But really who cares if they don't like it? They aren't going to stop selling. If they do that's their thing then. Generally that's what aliexpress is for. For the little orders.
I hear your point though... maybe that's why DTR has been away. There's only so much a guy can take. Too many inexperienced builders blowing their diodes and contacting him about it.

Cool diode. Thanks for sharing!
I wonder if there is any difference in the strength of fluorescence effects with this versus a typical 405-410nm diode...
Also, I'd imagine that in this part of the spectrum the brightness will drop off rapidly. Notice any differences?

No worries; that is why I asked;)
Don't let the weasel bother ya either. It's a darn shame something like him happened to LPF.

Cool diode. Thanks for sharing!
I wonder if there is any difference in the strength of fluorescence effects with this versus a typical 405-410nm diode...
Also, I'd imagine that in this part of the spectrum the brightness will drop off rapidly. Notice any differences?
I have noticed it's definitely dropping off on brightness. I can't tell any differences in fluorescence with the glow sheets I have though, I feel that 500mW is going to charge everything pretty quick.

No worries; that is why I asked;)
Don't let the weasel bother ya either. It's a darn shame something like him happened to LPF.
Thanks. I'm leaving it where it's at now with him, I don't want the headache.