Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

shake-or-wind-up flashlight mod . . .?

BooBoo

I cannot be the only one who has wondered this...although perhaps it would not surprise me if I were lol

Most are familiar with those flashlights that need no batteries, the ones you either shake or wind up.... and such as the leds they use in them, are often powered by either 2aaas or 2aas.... I am only guessing that that is the charge the wind-up flashlights have when fully wound-shook/charged...

Now, can they be gutted, and used as a power-source for these sorts of lasers... a permenant mod, or one you can slip in/on and off of a laser.... so in a pinch, you have power whereever you find yourself needing more power...or just to have a laser you'd never need to buy batteries again for ?

Has anyone tried such before.... or any opinions....thoughts ... ? :-?

the first problem you'd have assuming they can generate enough power is power regulation. if you can fix that AND the method used to gather and store energy is enough to power an LD then you might be on to something.

BooBoo

well the shaking device, might not be the best bet... unless it was detachable.. but yes, the voltage and such it the main factor with such an Idea..I imagine..
hmmm I might try the mod (after a few more opinions and such), if wl makes good on the promise of a free core... sounds liek a goot laser to experiment with and not realy care if it dies mid-project lol ;)

Inside those is a coil of wire, a 3.6 volt rechargeable battery, and a magnet. As you shake it, the magnet passes by the coil, thus charging the battery and powering the flashlight. I dont think a laser would be too practical in one of these IMO. :)

BooBoo

they have wind up ones too... as well as the idea of perhaps making the shake-up battery pack that is removable.... remove from laser and shake... but yes... with the delicate manner in which these lasers are produced.. I would not recommend shaking... although they claim the Core can be mounted on a gun as a site...where-as they specifically say not to do so with any of the other higher mW lasers... So perhaps the core/5mW is a better candidate for trying such a mod...but anyway I hope there are a few more answers here, or ideas chewed on ;)

tatman

a while back (2+ years) i bought a 4 way laser level because it was cheap. like harbor freight cheap. took cheapo plastic case apart and inside were 4 separate laser mods...one of which works fine still- powered by a "dynamo powered" handcranked 3 LED flashlight. it is a cat toy that hasn't needed batteries which is good as the cat cannot afford batteries.

Things

yes DA you are right, and for the wind up ones, it is just a dc motor basically! and yes the regulation would be th hard part, since the battery voltage can go from 0V all the way up to 5V+ at times!

Don't have the laser on while shakeing or cranking. Spikes could be real severe in these units.

Mike