Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SF-BW512L/ 12x Sled extraction

Hi,
Folks Nothing to do on a snowy day make up for lost time. This is a thread showing how i extracted a SF-BW512L/ 12X diode from a sled i had laying around for some time.Total time was 1Hr.50Min... Start to finish and very carefully both PSU readings are with a G2 lens at two different Amp settings.Max for this diode is 450mA i pushed it to 500mA then chickened out i'm happy with that..
So here are some pics on a snowy day in the East 20 inches so far as of 9:00PM Jan/23/2016.. BRRRRRRRRR Enjoy everyone haven't decided which host yet but i'll post that later today..

Rich:)

Attachments

• IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1533.JPG
    IMG_1533.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Nice work. :gj:
I don't know what to think of those 3.8 diodes because all the backing plates, that is the 5.6 and 9mm also stick to magnets, they appear to be ferrous yet coated for what? anti corrosion?

I know they make them smaller for the application, but I wonder why the backing is not copper or just what it is, some ferrous alloy that transfers heat well?

I'm going to try and look it up but I thought maybe you would know.

Enjoy the snow, lol we even got a taste down here but it's not much, still below freezing most of the day. brrr

Hi Red,
The material that i took from around the diode sees to be like AL And the sled came with a flat package RED. The work for them is rewarding in the long run,testing them is the good part. This was a 12X have another sled also BDR-209..Thanks again Pal for looking.

I watched this too and it reminded me that I have a bunch of unused, unlabeled laser diodes I need to test. Thanks. It was nice work.

Hi Paul,
I test and package the diode and mark them you can loose track very easy. These diode plugs work great no extra heat going to the diode. I also tweaked the driver down a bit it's only a 12X 405nm want it to last. Well this completes my 4WL Sinner full copper magic pens.Here's the latest 405nm build from the 12X diode.

Attachments

• IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1552.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 120
Rich, that was great! I did six sinner's MS Envies last year with new, not harvested M140s and they all came out over 2.2 watts. I still have one MSSW from a couple years ago that I'm going to put either a NUBM44 or a 520nm 1.4 watt green in. I've got several of sinner's hosts and love them all. I use a transistor socket to test out new diodes as they don't need solder to run off my power supply. Thanks. I enjoyed looking at your photos. +REP.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
Yes those sockets are great no soldering , slide on solid off done. I have an NUB44 sitting it' might go in to a mag light 2 cell 26650 that i modify nice big heat sink for the heat. Oh by the way the NDG700 will get you over 1+W's to. I have an MS series host i had to hanging out for a while, i just polished it today. can;t wait to see your build Paul cool. Want to thank you very much for taking time to look here .

@ L Chick,
Yes time well spent indeed, but tomorrow brings the digging out lots of work. i think the recipe will be Aleave and coffee tomorrow. thanks for the compliment so much ..

HI FU,
He had 2 versions of the CU pens, one is like these and the earlier ones were a straight CU host with no milling work on them single and double cell hosts. Send him a pic and he might make them don't know. I ordered 4 so i didn't run low on them. I intended to build a 405,450,520 and a 638nm CU pens, now i've completed that. They take 10440 cells so there nice and small but all CU. Ehgemus makes me the Brass pens and there awesome to, they take a 145000 cell. He can make a host with 1 or 2 cells and there really sweet to. PM both of those guys and see what they can do for you. Thanks for the reply on this FU awesome..

GSS

Hi Red,
The material that i took from around the diode sees to be like AL And the sled came with a flat package RED. The work for them is rewarding in the long run,testing them is the good part. This was a 12X have another sled also BDR-209..Thanks again Pal for looking.

That has to be coolest thing to tear apart a gizmo and pull out a precious little "chip" way inside and bring it to life as a little burning monster. Ive seen it over and over but still amazes me that yes its called a DVD "burner" but still an ordinary machine in the average household. I wish I knew way before this hobby because im not the only one who has thrown away many DVD players and burners. Lifetime thats a nice clean extraction method you got going and wow a nice collection

Last edited:
Hi G,
yes it takes time but the rewards are awesome, you have to be very careful. It's quality time to relax and think what to to next without messing up a good diode. Thanks buddy for looking.

Reactions: GSS
Lifetime17,
Impressive! I would +rep but I can't yet. Very nice work indeed. I love the time you took to get really good pictures. It provides so much information just those pictures alone. Prior to my arrival at LPF almost a year ago I extracted some diodes from a Xbox 360 hoping to get something useful in the future. After being here a while I can see I did that all wrong. Had I seen your post and the pictures, it would have made my life a great deal easier and I commend you for your efforts to show good work!

Last edited:
Hi Trend,
Well thank you so much for your generous reply. It's an achievement and drive we all have in us. It's human nature to go ahead. I was wondering about the X Box What was in it , did you get anything? I Know you like lower power WL's for class I like the lowers also in some diodes . My 510nm only hits 30+mW's the color is great .Do you think you'll ever tear down a sled ? Thank you so much again for nice response Buddy Much appreciated..

Pman

LOVE those all copper pens and the rest in that picture. Took me most of yesterday to build my PLTB-450 with LED "on" indicator light using a B-linear driver and gold plated laser 66 pen. Pain in the butt figuring out how to make everything fit and aligned properly.
I do remember it did take me some time to extract the diode from the casing the last time I did this with a 16x sled (and then ended up blowing the diode on my quest for 1W). On Jordans site he shows a pic of a sled and if he is actually harvesting them he must have some kind of easy way of popping them out. I don't like having to remove the solder from the pins either on such a small diode.
I would have thought the price of these diodes would be much less by now considering how long they have been available. Unfortunately I don't see anyone making a stronger one in the future as there doesn't appear to be a need for it.
Looks like you label the way I do. I use black on clear on shiny hosts. One thing I don't like about the clear label tape is it doesn't seem to stick as well or go on as smooth as the others. The black on yellow for 100mW or more and black on white <100mW tape I usually use is much easier to work with but detracts from the look of a shiny host.
I noticed that you are using a spring directly off of the driver. Are you exerting very little pressure from the batteries? I stabilize the drivers by putting a small amount of epoxy between it and the copper module/diode.

Last edited:
Hi P,
First i super glue the driver to the PCB switch but up next to each other let it dry good. Then i sweat the module and diode to the driver -Neg and +pos. I try to get the driver and the diode pins as close to one another as possible on the 3.8mm diodes , the pins are thin and fragile so there's less chance of them bending under pressure. On the Laser 66 pens i'll set the whole unit in little at a time with the batteries in the tube with out the tail cap on to see how little pressure it takes for contact in contrast to the tail cap screwed home. Just a fine adjustment really , without compressing the spring like GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip.
You build is going to be sweet brother hope all works out buddy. Can't wait to see it lit up, I'm going to put a PL520 in the chrome 66 i have.
Looks like a great build PMan

Last edited: