Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SenKat's diodes wattage?

Thanks Benm,
Good answer and completly clear on that and i concur.
Of all the LASER effects the speckle is the most facinating!

DGM

chido

resaL said:
[quote author=Kenom link=1202591275/0#13 date=1202662097]
What resistor are you using with yours??  cause even using larger resistors the least I've gotten with the dorcy is 120mw.  Based on what resistor your using I can tell you what your laser is putting out.

I am using two 5 ohm resistors in parallel.[/quote]
I suggest you turn the current down, you see SenKat got a bad batch of diodes, and these ones seem to die at currents which where considered safe with the other diodes.
Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1199990106

Lee

Here are some pictures of it. My macroing isn't that great so I couldn't get a good shot of the components within the heat sink.

EDIT: My diodes seem to be fine... this one has lasted for a while. I also have a 47uF capacitor crammed in there in case of voltage spikes. Seeing that I don't seem to have that much power output as is, I might leave the diode be.

Attachments

• laser_pictures.zip
    833.6 KB · Views: 24

chido

Ok, it's your choice. Besides there might be a chance that you got one of the good ones, knimrod mentioned he's been driving 2 of the new diodes at 300mA for quite some time now with good results.

Kenom

Yes very well done. Essentially your using a 2.5 ohm resistor. My findings from the dorcy circuit and the senkat diode indicate your laser is running at anywhere between 160mw to 190mw. Probably the latter. so instead of getting what you thought was only 80mw. Your probably getting 100mw MORE than you figured. over double what you figured. I personally would turn it down a bit by going with a 3.3 ohm resistor or just a 5 ohm resistor but if you've been running it for a few weeks or more without any problems then you may be ok.

I would bet that it is running higher than that (190 ma). I had a 5 ohm resistor in mine (two 10's in parallel) and was getting about 200-210 ma. Either way, you are definitely getting a LOT more than 80mw out of it :D

resaL said:
For the longest time everyone has been saying Senkat's diodes are 200mw or 250mw... However, I also read on this forum (forgot where) that the 200mw range is pulsed, not constant. I read the constant wattage is around 80mw. So what is the true (constant) power of a Senkat diode?

Depending on the identity of diode, which still isn't known, the Senkat diode is likely rated between 80-100 mW (continuous wave). Some can be pushed to around 200 mW, however they likely will not live long pushed 2x overspec.

Datasheets:

(supposed to be)
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol37/pdf/sld1236vl.pdf

(might be this instead)
http://www.zet.biz/Laser/data/SLD1239JL.pdf

Lee

Ok, so I'm getting more than I thought. Does ~190mw seem appropriate to the video I posted earlier? I have to always use a black spot on balloons, and nothing really smokes unless I skew the focus.

Thanks Kenom for the info. I'm not too worried about the diode dieing, it has gone through 1.5 batteries so far.

EDIT: The diode died after around 4 hours of use at a resistance of 2.5 Ohms.