Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Selling lasers on ebay (ways around their policy)

So, every now and again i see some 150 - 200mw laser pointers up for auction. i was wondering why those havnt been pulled?

so lets say i wanted to start making and selling 120mw Blu-Ray laser pointers. how would i get around their policy?

could i sell it with a title like:

140mA diode current Blu-Ray laser.
or-
0.120 joules/second Blu-Ray laser.

do you think they would catch on? im sure they are so busy, unless they know the conversions they might just skip right over them...

now i know this might be counter productive as the buyer may not know what the conversion are either. so what other methods might work?

rkcstr

Re: Selling lasers on ebay (ways around their poli

If you don't sell it as a "pointer" but rather a "lab component" or "industrial" item.  Posting it as a "pointer" and stating it is >5mW is asking for removal.

Of course, Ebay does that for a reason.... letting kids (or even adults) who don't know what they're handling buy a laser powerful enough to blind themselves (or others) easily is not really a good idea. You probably don't want the liability.

Yeah, just don't use the word "pointer" - in the description or auction text. I sold a 95mw green pointer about year ago and had no problems at all. I think I might have also described it as "a portable, battery-powered green laser". It also helps if you put in some "legal-ese" - like - the laser is designed to be incorporated into a finished product, blah, blah, OEM component, won't be held responsible for mis-use, injury, etc.

People will of course see your photos and know exactly that they are getting a pointer and your auctions will stay up.

This is such a bad idea and you don't even know why.

Then why don't you enlighten us as to why this is "such a bad idea"?

spyrorocks said:
Then why don't you enlighten us as to why this is "such a bad idea"?

Because he's not aware of the consequences that can be brought down upon him by the federal government.

I have yet to hear a story of anyone being busted for selling lasers on ebay by the cops.

spyrorocks said:
I have yet to hear a story of anyone being busted for selling lasers on ebay by the cops.

That's beside the point.
By knowingly or unknowingly selling something that is clearly illegal you assume the risk of being caught.
If he chooses to play chicken with the Feds that is his prerogative, but  he needs to know what the potential risks involved are. Fines levied for this activity can be substantial. Jail time may even be possible.
K-shell has clearly not thought this through.

i second the not a good idea statement.

just because you havent heard it happen or think it wont happen doesnt mean the feds wont want to eventually do it or already do it. and then BOOM

your made an example and get the worst end of their beating stick

Its not going to happen... The federal government has enough on there plate, there not going to worry about laser's on the internet (unless there in the terra-watts). The most you can do is warn people and try to find responsible buyers.

k-shell said:
So, every now and again i see some 150 - 200mw laser pointers up for auction. i was wondering why those havnt been pulled?

so lets say i wanted to start making and selling 120mw Blu-Ray laser pointers. how would i get around their policy?

could i sell it with a title like:

140mA diode current Blu-Ray laser.
or-
0.120 joules/second Blu-Ray laser.

do you think they would catch on? im sure they are so busy, unless they know the conversions they might just skip right over them...

now i know this might be counter productive as the buyer may not know what the conversion are either. so what other methods might work?

yeah i'm not sure how well that would work.......i personally wouldn't catch onto the joules/second thing.....although i don't know a whole lot about lasers (i'm just learning....) but i think i have learned more then the average person that watched a burning laser video on youtube and now wants one :)

JLSE

abadcaffeinetrip said:
I think it is just more than being caught.  We know what a IIIb laser is.  Most people don't.  If you sell someone one a 100mW "pointer" they will assume it is safe - until they shine it in someone's eyes  :-/

Or even worse, they let their kids play with the pretty bluish light. I gave my Father in law a set of pointers, 405nm, 532nm, and 660nm. The lowest powered one being a 75mw 532nm IR filtered. I told him to treat them as if they were loaded firearms. He keeps them in his gun safe with the batteries out. Yet he still doesnt fully grasp the hazards involved.

Ebay is in the habbit of removing them also because it is them who face the fines for hosting. They love to make money, but put an equal ammount of effort in covering their a$$.

In my opinion, anyone who knowingly sells such an item to a minor, or labels them in a way that may cause injury to the unenlightened, is an IDIOT. :-?