Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Seeking Diode Info?

I'm really trying not to ask stupid or repeated questions, and I've looked around, but can someone direct me to some basic information about blue diodes?

I wanted to try to recreate a blue laser seen on Styropyro's video recently, and I understand how unreasonable that sounds (he was hoping for 8w, he made 5.5w) but I was hoping to find some information on high power blue diodes- SO THAT I CAN DESIGN A DRIVER.

I clearly understand that such a power is unsafe for me as a noob, and I don't plan on actually building it anytime soon but still having specs for a desired diode would help in creating a driver, non?

If you can help me find this information, that is deeply appreciated, I will continue looking, myself, in the meantime.

-Light

I'm just getting started but I like to understand everything before jumping in to intending to build anything

Edit: Like I said, I'm just seeking some basic info on the diodes out there. People talk about NUM44'S and NUBN77's and I have no idea the difference or where to get them or how to find my way around them

Thanks Alaskan, I'll do that.

Edit: That was precisely the information I needed! Thank you so much! I almost feel a little stupid that I didn't Google that earlier 😅

Last edited:

Encap

On eBay search " Drivers 445nm laser diode" there are a lot of good constant current drivers which is what is needed for laser diode.
They are not expensive relatively, might be cheaper than attempting to design and build one small enough t use in a hand held laser unless you have advance skills in circuit design, parts, and the equipment necessary already and want to do just for the fun of it.

Constant voltage drivers for LEDs are a no go for laser diodes ---laser diodes need constant current.

Last edited:
I understand that buying a driver is more appropriate than making one, but I relish the mental exercise in at least designing, building and testing a driver, even if I would end up buying one for a final product.

Haha, if I ever make a finished design, I will. I think I'm more of a ADHD-type where I never finish anything I start, but that's usually fine by me, since knowledge is enough to satisfy me.