Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scroll Down

Damien

I gotta say it. I mean, once you get here you know it's a laser forum, but on the face it's all advertisements... and perhaps its the way the pages are set, but I never really feel I'm right here in your forum because each time I move from one topic to the next I am being thrown back into all those goddamn advertisements.

Err, it costs c0ld a lot of money to run this place -- it gets a hell of a lot of traffic -- and hosting for that is not free. Not even close to free.

He already barely makes it break even with donations... (or less, I'm not sure -- he doesn't go around complaining about it, so even if he's not breaking even, we likely wouldn't know.) What would you expect that he do?

If he got rid of the advertisements, would you donate more? (Or at all?)

I understand -- you're annoyed by the ads.. (Most of which are from companies that actually are reputable and a lot of LPF members actually end up using...) -- but what would be your suggestion as an alternative so that c0ld doesn't end up going into debt to keep the place operational?

Really, that's not a rhetorical question, I'm honestly wondering what you'd suggest as an alternative to selling ad space.

Last edited:
I gotta say it. I mean, once you get here you know it's a laser forum, but on the face it's all advertisements... and perhaps its the way the pages are set, but I never really feel I'm right here in your forum because each time I move from one topic to the next I am being thrown back into all those goddamn advertisements.

You are new here.... I've scrolled down a lot more than you...
and it doesn't bother me... It's like I know that I will need to flip
the cover of a book if I want to read it...

There is even a Scroll Down key on your keyboard...:whistle:
As has already been stated... It requires $$$$ to run this Forum...

If on the other hand.. if you are willing to cover the Forum costs
with appropriate monthly Donations... I'm sure the Administration
will remove all advertising for you...:cool:

BTW....

welcome.gif
to the Forum...
Don't forget to read the Newcomers Section and the Forum Rules...
I also see that you have not yet introduced yourself...

Enjoy the Forum...

Jerry

How many forums have you been on that don't have any advertisements?
My answer is none, unless the forum itself is a advertisement. (promotional gimmick)
Or maybe I don't get around to enough forums.
That's because I love this one so much.:)
This forum (and it's members) took me from not knowing anything about lasers, to building my own from scratch in less then 6 months.:bowdown:
FOR FREE! (of course, I donate as much as I can, but I don't have to)
For that, I could put up with a lot of advertisements, which BTW, don't bother me at all, I end up clicking on them to look for good deals.

Last edited:

Trevor

I'm curious, as IceStorm's "unlimited" plan is $9.95 per month. They're probably overselling, but I'm interested in Avery's setup. I'd say it's a dedicated server, but IceStorm doesn't seem to offer those.

-Trevor

Forums and websites are hard to manage even with donations. Ads help run the site.

... Kind of being hyprotic since I have adds blocked..

Theres an app called Adblock Plus for the FireFox browser.. I use it so I don't see any adds.

This is one of the most simple forums out there. It has simple colors and not that much advertisements. Other forums I can't even follow. They have a bunch of damn colors, too many advertisements, and most members signature is like 20 pictures.

AndyR

I agree, this forum's format is amazing in the fact that I could actually find where everything was on my first day.

Kudos to whoever designed it :bowdown:

I agree, this forum's format is amazing in the fact that I could actually find where everything was on my first day.

Kudos to whoever designed it :bowdown:
Yes the reason I never actually sign up for forums is they are so cluttered and just Blah! I agree I could find my way just fine on the first day too.

Damien

I'm not sure I've ever run a vbulletin, but it seems close enough to phpbb2 & 3, which I am familiar. The ads may be placed more visibly in columns along side. A hack may even exist to give it a rolling column effect.

There's nothing wrong with the energy in this forum, I haven't done an Alexa rating, but it's a great community with great variety. However if this is the number one forum for lasers, a change never hurt. The technology is becoming more readily available, lower costs, more powerful with greater display options. Bring in enough members and the community controls who sees what. In terms of business, Joe businessman will always come to read the reviews and see the member displays before buying. Changing the placing of the ads therefore is a matter of respect and convenience for the buyer.

Last edited:
This is for those of you who hate ads.
There is a free product for Firefox
Ad Block Plus
Adblock Plus: Save your time and traffic
This will also lower your traffic saving you bandwidth for those who have limit plans.
It blocks all ads on the page from a database they wont even load.
How ever none of the ads here are on that list but you can right click and hit block and never see them again.
I only say this because i have had many sites with those crappy talking ads and i have finally gotten rid of them once and for all.
But if normal ads seem to get on your nerve the use this program but make sure to donate at least 1$ due to hes not getting the ad revenue.