Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Screambuy 532nm 200mW Silver [$165.50]

I've had the pleasure of making my first order at ScreamBuy.com. In this order was included one 200mW Silver Style pointer. These are available in different specifications: 50mW, 100mW, 120mW, 150mW & 200mW.

The primary reason why I decided to make a purchase for this specific item is because I liked the casing of this laser. And the company seemed serious. Read up on a few reviews here which described an excellent customer service.

Company summary

First off I would like to do a short review of ScreamBuy as a company. As it's the first interaction I had with them. The experience has been all positive.

The staff / owner contacted me immediately after purchase confirming everything. We decided on customs declarations and packaging. And the order went out to the factory to build my specific model. All their pointers comes with stickers with unique serial IDs.

They are fairly knowledgeable. Own some type of LPM (got a photo which I can attach if someone requires) and try to verify everything as good as possible before shipping the units out.

For sure above the regular wholesale companies around. Which is a good thing.

Good points:
  • Good replies to all questions
  • Knowledgeable staff of how green 532nm DPSS actually works
  • Complete customer oriented service

Bad points:
  • Got a 405nm specified at 200mW which performs around 130mW. This is however addressed very well in our support conversation.

Pointer specifications

Wavelength: 532nm
Power: 200mW
Size: 189mm * 23.5mm (silver tube)
Weight: 171g (inclusive battery)
Divergence: 1.00-1.20 MRad
Transverse Mode: TEM00
Operating mode: CW
Battery: 1x 18650
Temperature: 15-35 degrees Celsius

For a feel of the pointer size in the hand, look at below pic:
08.jpg

Packaging

The pointer comes in a neat gift box. Not the standard china pointer "Green laser" white boxes:
01.jpg

The inside consists of the pointer split into two pieces & one 18650 rechargeable battery:
02.jpg

A picture of the specification sheet included:
03.jpg

Pointer construction
The shaft of this seems to be some aluminum casing with a silver polish.

It has a centered push button for turning it on/off. It is not a momentary button but a fixed on/off trigger. This is something which I appreciate a lot. And the placement is excellent! I dislike the ones placed at the bottom of the pointer.

All pointers come with unique production serial numbers:
04.jpg

ScreamBuy sell these in Red 650nm, Green 532nm and Blue 473nm. Both push button, power indicator diode & front matches the color. A nice touch :)
05.jpg

The battery is placed in the end tail part and screwed into place. The mechanism and build quality of this pointer is Excellent:
06.jpg

Example of the assembled pointer turned on with the green diode in the middle. It is however quite bright. They could have implemented a bit more dimmed version:
07.jpg

Measurements & beam quality

I have calculated the divergence to be about 1.22 MRad as of my best estimation. A little bit over specifications.

The beam seems to stay in TEM00 during all time except for short fraction of seconds when it jumps to other modes. But quickly back again. Had to use a beam expander to see what it was doing. Suspected it was doing mode hopping. But as of yet I have no proof of this being true. The dot size was about 8cm and could still not notice anything.

The power output can be studied from following graph:

po.png

It has a specified duty cycle of 40s usage. Considering during these 40 seconds it does incredibly well! I have confirmed that these pointers come without IR-filter. So I cannot unfortunately accurately estimate the 532nm light from these readings.

However comparing to other laser pointers I own it feels in pair of spec/brightness.

Readings are done with a LaserBee Deluxe.

I think it performs what is specified at from it with good margin. Noticeable is that it seems to stabilize at 200mW sustained after 250s of use. This is after 4 minutes of usage. I will not lie to you however, I did expect a slight better sustained power from it. But it's a good burst for $165!

Picture of the pointer in daylight turned on:
09.jpg

Summary

This pointer gets a positive review from me. It is within promised margins in all areas except for divergence. But this is a 0.02 Mrad difference. And my measurements could be a bit off as well. I am not dissatisfied with the beam divergence. It suits very well!

The interaction with ScreamBuy has been very good. I can recommend them to anyone whom care about good customer service in all areas.

They are understanding & polite. And foremost honest. If they don't know the answer they will say so straight away!

Beam shots

Just a beam shot I took. I may add a few more if there's a snow storm coming up. ;-)

10.jpg

And a tree. Which accidentally was placed in the images folder:

12.jpg

Merry xmas ;-)

Questions? Or recommendations for completion of review? Throw a feedback!

Last edited:

Grix

Re: Screambuy 200mW Silver [$165.50]

Buy a pair of goggles, then do one power reading with goggles in front of the laser, and one without, then you know how much IR the laser outputs, and the real power is easy to find out.

Re: Screambuy 200mW Silver [$165.50]

Buy a pair of goggles, then do one power reading with goggles in front of the laser, and one without, then you know how much IR the laser outputs, and the real power is easy to find out.

That's actually a very good tip :) However, doesn't green protective goggles almost always leak some 532nm through?

I saw that optotronics had an IR filter 25x25mm for cheap money. However out of stock. I have mailed them asking when they are expected restocked.

You have to make a minimum of $20 purchase so you can't buy just one filter from there. Also the protective glasses for green lasers will only allow a single mW or less get by (depending on the goggles)

ZRTMWA

Holy shitttttt!?? Excuse my language but this is the best performing handheld 200mW green for under $250, I've ever seen. I don't understand how the price could be that low and the quality in the mid to high range coming from a chinese company?!?

Did you ever mention to the owner that you were planning on testing it with a LPM? I've never even thought of screambuy.com to buy a 200mW green from as I have been in the market for one for a couple of months now. I'll have to check them out.

Do you think all of their 200mW 532nm's would perform somewhat overspec (at least in the first 30 seconds) like yours did?

How long did shipping take and where are you located?

I will probably buy a laser like this after I am able to see an IR test. Thanks for posting a great review!!!

You have to make a minimum of $20 purchase so you can't buy just one filter from there. Also the protective glasses for green lasers will only allow a single mW or less get by (depending on the goggles)

Thanks for clarifying. :)

I put a bid on ebay of $11 o an IR blocking lens. Let's hope that lands so I have something!

Holy shitttttt!?? Excuse my language but this is the best performing handheld 200mW green for under $250, I've ever seen. I don't understand how the price could be that low and the quality in the mid to high range coming from a chinese company?!?

Did you ever mention to the owner that you were planning on testing it with a LPM? I've never even thought of screambuy.com to buy a 200mW green from as I have been in the market for one for a couple of months now. I'll have to check them out.

Nope. I ordered it without mentioning anything about reviews. Good question for the quality. They looked reputable. And they turned out to deliver!

ZRTMWA said:
Do you think all of their 200mW 532nm's would perform somewhat overspec (at least in the first 30 seconds) like yours did?

Nope! This was a very pleasant surprise :)

I was a bit chocked of the test results. So I let it cool down and redid the tests three times. Always the same graph. However tops were at 280-310mW variating.

ZRTMWA said:
How long did shipping take and where are you located?

Timeline:

Order date: 2009-12-03
Shipping: 2009-12-06
Receiving: 2009-12-15

Shipping method: EMS
Shipping destination: Sweden / Stockholm

ZRTMWA said:
I will probably buy a laser like this after I am able to see an IR test. Thanks for posting a great review!!!

Cool :) Thanks!

ZRTMWA

Also, I'm guessing you LPMed it on fully charged batts?

I see screambuy has 3 200mW greenies. Two are $165 and one is $150. Anybody else want to buy another one and LPM test it first?? lol

Also, I'm guessing you LPMed it on fully charged batts?

Yepp! Fully / freshly charged. Room temp 23.5 degrees C (74.3 F).

I was going for their $150 version first. But it has the push button in the back :)