Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SciFi repair help - ex SciFi customers only!

Pman

Regardless of how little someone can contribute they should still do what they can. It would be an amazing place if we all gave a bit more. Too much drama and too many people who believe their opinion is the end all. More listening, less hautiness and don't encourage drama which usually means avoiding those threads and of course not starting a thread that's going to get a rise out of others. We've had more than our share of it for awhile. I know for a fact there are plenty who have had more than enough and are either not posting anymore or very little.

Totally agree. I'm even getting burned out on the remaining lingering threads that are still being updated. It's just a reoccurring bad taste in the mouth at this point.

That being said, if people are holding back just out of fear of being ripped off again, I'd just like to say that is NOT the case with this thread! I haven't been here nearly as long as most of the people here, but I can say that Pman and grainde know their stuff, and are active contributing members of this forum. And if it's a cost thing, I would even be willing to step forward and help out! Being that Pman is in N.Y., and I'm in AZ., it may help keep shipping costs down for people closer to the west coast. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have near the build experience as these two guys. But I have done builds, (even a complete one from scratch) and have been getting my "parts" inventory up. So I though I'd just throw this option out for anyone who mite need it. :)

I have a 1.6watt 445 I got from eitan and fried by reversing polarity as soon as I got it out of the package....
I've looked at the driver on dtr, the 1.8amp if I'm correct. There a couple different types on which I'm not sure the differences of, but none the less they're about $25.
How much would I be looking at to have this fixed? I'm in Tx

I have a 1.6watt 445 I got from eitan and fried by reversing polarity as soon as I got it out of the package....
I've looked at the driver on dtr, the 1.8amp if I'm correct. There a couple different types on which I'm not sure the differences of, but none the less they're about $25.
How much would I be looking at to have this fixed? I'm in Tx

Did you happen to get a spec sheet with it? Wondering if 1.6W was the actual output. If he used the older A140 diode, I think 1.8A is on the high side of what it can take. DTR's page has some nice comparisons of the A140 vs. the M140. Whoever you get to take a look at it for you, it would just be parts and shipping costs. I believe their wanting some sort of evidence that the laser was purchased through Scifi though. Just so this offer doesn't get abused.
Being that the damage was self induced, they may ask for a little something, but not for sure. Also being that it was a polarity issue. Hopefully it's just the driver that got taken out, and not the diode too.

Recently it has come to our attention that quite a few SciFi customers have had issues with their lasers. As SciFi seems to have ceased business, it is not recommended to return items to them for repair. Pman and I have therefore decided to offer help to those of you who have bought a laser from him, but, either received a non-working device, or those of you who's laser has broken within their warranty period.

Please note the following conditions:

1) You must have bought a laser from SciFi that is defective - we are not offering a free building service.
2) The laser must have been received within the last 6 months.
3) You must provide proof of purchase, this is to avoid possible abuse of this offer.
4) You will need to cover the cost of all parts (including shipping if required) and shipping of the laser to and from its destination.
5) We are offering this service for free and as such are not earning any money, this means that any and all payments should be made as a gift with PP, or sent as a money order.
6) We are not liable for customs, or other seizures.
7) You must be over 18 or we will not accept the repair.
8) Do not send batteries with the lasers.
9) We are not responsible in any way for damages, or injuries incurred through use of the returned laser.

Pman has kindly offered to cover the US and I will offer to cover Europe - this should minimise shipping costs and any customs risk. Please feel free to contact either of us via PM for further details.:beer:

Hi
I have received non-working 501b 520nm 700mW laser from Eitan, which he promised to replace and stopped responding.
What kind of proof of purchase do you need? I have a pic of the package and can pull out paypal data.

I did not receive a spec sheet. And the only proof of purchase I have would be the PayPal payment or maybe conversation in his threads on here......
I'm ready to get it fixed, or I'll sell it for a low price

Last edited:

Pman

Talk to me in a PM J4K. Let me know any information you have on it too. The last unit I repaired was for the battery reversal on a bdr-209 (405nm) and luckily it was a driver issue as the diode was fine.

@ Andrey I sent you a PM a couple of days ago. If you still want me to take a look at it, just let me know.

@ Pman - FYI Ive had two enquiries, both are being discussed. It seems you are right though, much hype and not too many takers. ;)

:beer:

Last edited:
I should be receiving one to fix this week, so I'll update with pics and show what's wrong. This module was damaged by the user, so he has agreed to donate to the forums.:beer:

Here's a quick selection of photos from dismantling the SciFi laser I was sent.

These first ones show the teflon tape which was used instead of heat shrink and the lack of thermal compound also a cheap older style brass nickel plated module was used:
20160625_120312_zpsnxsqghem.jpg

Here you can also see the lack of heat sinking compound...:undecided:
20160625_120609_zpstkofgvct.jpg

20160625_120813_zpsdle937yr.jpg

Here you can see the driver. Ive been told this was a $ 2 DX driver. The driver was dead, but fortunately the diode still worked.
20160625_120959_zpsvrnqikxh.jpg

In picture no. 3 you can also see that a 5.6 mm diode was used. The laser was sold as a 700 mW 520!:tsk:

Anyway after adding new thermal compound, replacing the tape with heatshrink and installing a new X-boost adj at 560 mA its working again. :) The output hit 213 mW peak so its around 200 mW and quite a bit lower than 700 mA. :beer:

hi,
This is really crazy what this man did to many good people for money. The teflon thing really gets me and the diodes way out of specs, Plus the cheesy drivers. Since i took a look at the GSS build I'm sure that there are many more abortions to come out of this . Damn its a real shame, Grainde thank you again for adding your findings to this thread and all the fine folks here at LPF. 700 mW's Ha !!! Con Man Maximus

Rich:)

Last edited:

Razako

I'm super glad I got my money back from paypal, rather than him actually sending me the items. Seems like all of his later builds were lazily put together crap that he rushed out the door. He cut costs everywhere and used all kinds of underspec components.

#1 scammer in LPF history without a doubt.

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Wow, a shoddy job, start to finish!
I'm suprised that more of this poor workmanship hadn't shown up much earlier. Maybe that's why he usually suggested a return for a replacement unit, it kept these poor quality issues "in house". :eek:

GSS

Has anyone ever looked in one of his older builds when he was so called a great place to buy. Wondering if it was always shoddy work and mismatched parts.