Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sci-fi lasers SF501B 100mW 520nm

SF501B 100mW 520nm review!

So to start off I shall talk about Customer service --> shipping --> opening --> What I think of the laser --> Beam shots last lads :)
No numbers? Nothing about beam dimensions, beam divergence, current draw, voltage regulation window, focus, or power?
Thanks Gabe for providing. added to review :)
image.jpg1_zpsjrprcvxf.jpg

Here is the laser being measured by Eitan
16462626597_25ff592689_c.jpg

So then, about a month ago since I ordered from sci-fi lasers and it felt like a long time! After about 2 and half weeks I still had not heard about my laser so I decided to give Eitan a PM about why its taking so long. Turns out the post office was being slow and there were many orders to make and that my order was going to be shipped the next day (Which was no problem). Every time I had a question Eitan replied within 24 Hours :). So after messaging Eitan I messaged him a week later saying that i do not have my tracking code yet. He replied saying to give him an email which I did and soon enough he got back with a picture of the laser having its power measured (That is why I have no Power certificate which is again no problem) and also sent me a image of the package that was about to be sent out so it wasn't sent out after all cheeky :p. Shipping took about a week actually so wasn't too bad after all.

So The box! Its compact and easy to get into! The laser itself was wraped in bubble wrap and tightly fitted into a small white box! It could NOT of gotten damaged!

16034048344_666162e407.jpg

The Laser was neatly preserved in the box no damage or dust at all :).
Thanks for this Eitan!

Laser and box:
16630424566_d9bf4402e9_c.jpg

Ok next please!
So the laser itself then. The laser is very well built. Batteries DO NOT rattle and the host is perfect in every single way! The lens comes with a dust cap that i keep on when I am not using the laser you should do this to :).
The laser also is great for burning due to the focusing lens which is terrific for you mid power lovers. I think the laser is good for the people who want to start using powerful lasers like me (remember to buy some goggles!)
I am using my trustfire batteries (which I have already done a review of here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/review-2x-trustfire-16340-s-92657.html!) They work great in the laser!

WARNING!: BATTERIES GO IN NEGATIVE TOWARDS TAIL CAP WITH THIS LASER!

Pics of laser :

16468963050_beaf145dca_c.jpg

Lovely host!

Front:

16655334962_0be330bcc1_c.jpg

Back with button on tail cap:

16470194069_67c6ccb160_c.jpg

BEAMSHOTS! :

I have tried my best with my phone to take the pictures that I needed... Hope they all come out ok.

16036459423_e02f9718ff_c.jpg

16630423396_8504193b72_c.jpg

16630423456_70c7ef73de_c.jpg

16470194039_4d15bf7b24_c.jpg

Thanks for reading and seeing!

I will hope to order more from Eitan in the future :D

- Narwhal out

Last edited:

Cool review, and nice laser you got there! If I can add, the pictures look good with the beam easily visible but all of them except the last one look like 532nm(at least on my screen :D)

+rep for a quick but easy and to the point review!

-Alex

Cool review, and nice laser you got there! If I can add, the pictures look good with the beam easily visible but all of them except the last one look like 532nm(at least on my screen :D)

+rep for a quick but easy and to the point review!

-Alex

Thanks alex i appreciate the rep :) and yes ill use a better camera in the future.

Nice laser i have a 100 myself, its very bright when its dark why need more u can see the beam without any problems anyway.

Nice laser i have a 100 myself, its very bright when its dark why need more u can see the beam without any problems anyway.

Very true i think I am in love with it if I am honest even at 100mW the beam can be seen in areas that have been lit to an extent.

Gabe

Nice quickie review! Would +rep if I could :( It looks like your 532nm might be dead, but can you tell a difference between it and 520nm, in person?

No numbers? Nothing about beam dimensions, beam divergence, current draw, voltage regulation window, focus, or power?

Nice quickie review! Would +rep if I could :( It looks like your 532nm might be dead, but can you tell a difference between it and 520nm, in person?

Yes I can see a difference! its very slight but it does not seem as lime as 532nm does. so a tad bit darker which i like very much. :)

sorry :( I have added the picture that Gabe has kindly provided :)

Last edited:
Good laser I like it, I have a build with the same PL520 diode and it's my only laser with a visible beam that I can point around inside without having to worry about burning anything. They are really bright even at low power.

Alan

Gabe

No problem, Narwhal. Cyp, If I remember correctly, SFLasers provides a power certificate with each laser. Maybe Narwhal could add that. Beam diameter shouldn't be too hard to measure for him, and he could plug those numbers into a divergence calculator. Current draw would be difficult to measure without a digital multimeter, but they can be pretty easy to find. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure Joker gets his diodes from DTR, here
Narwhal, here is a divergence calculator: over here

Last edited:
No problem, Narwhal. Cyp, If I remember correctly, SFLasers provides a power certificate with each laser. Maybe Narwhal could add that. Beam diameter shouldn't be too hard to measure for him, and he could plug those numbers into a divergence calculator. Current draw would be difficult to measure without a digital multimeter, but they can be pretty easy to find. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure Joker gets his diodes from DTR, here
Narwhal, here is a divergence calculator: over here

I did not get a power certificate but instead he sent an image of him testing it out measuring at 99mW ill update with divergence and picture of the testing later:)

Edit: tried to measure divergence.No idea if I have done this correctly 0.9049771285117201mRad

Last edited:

Gabe

.9 mRad. That's really good. I'm sure the focusability helped. Just as long as you're sure you focused it to infinity, by getting the dot as small as possible on a wall much farther away than the walls you tested divergence for :)

.9 mRad. That's really good. I'm sure the focusability helped. Just as long as you're sure you focused it to infinity, by getting the dot as small as possible on a wall much farther away than the walls you tested divergence for :)

Yes made sure I had focused it to infinity. :D

Gabe

Ok good :) Then it looks like those PL520 Osram diodes are as good as they say they are. That's good to know, I'm planning on picking some up sometime.