Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SCI FI LASERS-need assistance (spring issue)

Hello all,
Heres hoping you may know how to help...
I bought a blue 501b from Eitan at Sci Fi and let my brother mess with it and then discovered he had fully unscrewed the focusing cap for the beam and the spring which tensions the beam into focus fell out. I have email Eitan multiple times for a replacement and or the specs on the spring so I can try to find another one somewhere in the US but he has not really helped.

I need the diameter, length and strength of the front spring (not the one for the battery compartment) so I can try to find another one.

I have some teflon tape to wrap over the threads to prevent this from happening again but I am hoping one of you fine persons can point me in the right direction with those specs and a store online maybe.

Thanks a mil for anything you guys can do fer me.

- Brent

Thanks....those are the proper dimensions that are appropriate for the 501b? As u can tell im a uber newbie.

Is there any site to just buy springs? I havent found one yet...

R u in pdx or the east coast portland?

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
You can get a replacement spring from Survival Laser; these should work, and they're only 49 cents ea. :)

BTW - Welcome to LPF, have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay!

Last edited:
Many thanks Bowtie! I hadnt heard of that site.....I figured there would be one like that which helps alot.

Crazy, I didnt think I could forget the spring entirely cuz it tensions the lens right? I had tried to screw the cap in and out but the focus never changed or tightened at all....

im in SE Portland!!

wait? east coat Portland?

Last edited:
Oh cool...SE Portland! We are moving to somewhere in the area in the next few months, maybe I can look you up if your up for that!
Yeah, isnt there a Portland in Maine I think....I didnt know which one you were claiming :)

Im very happy to get my pretty blue baby going again.
My next buy will be a yellow Dragon Spartan!!!

Spring just helps counter the thread backlash (aka slop). Teflon tape basically accomplishes the same thing, and IMO the springs don't help near as much as teflon tape.

ha oh my bad.. damn ADD.. i read it and replied thinkin you meant west coast portland or pdx.. ha! wow yea my bad. Well if your old enough to drink we can grab a beer and discuss lasers.. or cars.. or longboards.. women... my stupid mista kitty...

good luck on your spring find... when I first started building.. no matter how careful I was.. I would take the lens off and PEW!!! "where the hell did that go?!"

I ended up getting this when I first started building and it helps me out sometimes when I need a spring or test lens:
10 Pack of Aixiz Standard Acrylic Lenses for 12x30mm Laser Modules and Cases | eBay

Yeah sounds good 10fenny! Im 33 so id be happy grabbing a beer sometime...ill be sure to reach once were in town and settled. Yeah the spring thing seems like a fairly widespread faulty design - it does just shoot off and im like 'well there she goes...'

When I was lookinig around for a blue las, sci fi said theirs were adjustable, which sounds like a good thing but for a laser I realized I onky ever want the beam as fine/narrow as possible...otherwise its just a flashlight basically! Ah well, I doubt it can be changed from adjustable to only a fine point beam...

SteveT

Please be careful with Teflon tape. Small fragments can find themselves on the exposed diode window leading to contamination and potential damage; a good tip is to only wind the tape half way down the lens barrel and not to continuously alter the focus which will cause the tape to shred over time.

Last edited: