Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sci-Fi Lasers 501B 445nm 2-2.4W

About a week ago I received my laser from sflasers.com. All I ever had before was a <50mW green pen pointer, which was way cool in high-school, but doesn't even get close to this :D

It's a 445nm blue laser that outputs somewhere between 2 and 2.4 watts, in a black 501B host with an aluminum heatsink.
The focus adapter with 405G2 lens allows for focus close-up or long range, but because the diode outputs light in a line instead of a dot and has poor divergence (compared to for instance a green laser) the burning capabilities decrease past a certain range. Still, 2.4W is a lot of power so I managed to burn a little hole into my chair across the room shooting this video: Link

The focus adapter fits a little loosely, but this is quickly resolved with some teflon tape.
There are some rough edges on the heatsink and the solder work isn't the best I've seen, but for the price you can't expect the highest quality.
For placing this review I was offered a discount, making this laser even cheaper.

Its beam is visible in a well-lit room (check the video link above as well):
1Ral7wO.jpg

And very visible at night, pointing at the sky:
U4B1Z6n.jpg

E-mail conversations with the seller (MrThejoker) were a little tricky, sometimes mail didn't come through or wasn't replied to. But he apologized and in the end everything was resolved in a friendly manner.
Delivery time was about 2 weeks from the day I ordered.

All in all I'm very happy with this great bang for the buck laser :yh:

Pman

Congrats. Be VERY careful with the Teflon tape as many have had issues with a piece unraveling and then burning up on the diode window or lens. I prefer to use a tighter spring.
+REP to get you started;)

By the way, it's customary to make an introduction post in the welcome section;) Have fun but be safe.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the rep!
And for warning me about the teflon tape, I wouldn't want to burn my brand new laser :eek: so I've made a spring out of a paperclip as a more permanent solution:

lYKNt9Z.jpg

If I decide to dig any deeper into this hobby I'll be sure to introduce myself properly ;)

GSS

absolute, very nice and a good fix with the paper clip. I want to ask what color are the threads for the lens. It looks like a darker steal color than the standard gold I usually see on the G2 type. Just just wondering if it might be a 3 element as the beam profile looks good also.You did say you didnt use teflon tape because of Pmans warning Another quick update my 1+W 445 from SciFi came with a G type lens instead of the 3 element it was supposed to. It wasnt a big issue but did cause me some confusion.

Last edited:
Hi GSS,

The color of the lens case looks dark brown, like oxidized brass.
Maybe you can tell what kind of lens this is from the pictures.

Ue4fAcA.jpg

9CM5Gbi.jpg

To me it looks like there are 2 elements, but there might be a third in between them, I'm not sure.

GSS

That looks like a 3 element lens, i'm pretty sure. Lets wait till someone else chimes in....If it is a 3 element you will lose a little power but at over 2W to begin with its still very strong but it makes up with in divergance.

Last edited:
Great review - thanks for posting this, as I've been looking at these online.
They look like a very inexpensive, yet well-made option for high-power.

One (slightly off-topic) comment:

It's amazing to me some of the color variances that cameras produce with the 445's.
My 445 from a different vendor, definitely has a purple hue to it (which I REALLY like). So much so that I looked up more photos online to confirm, and saw that many 445 photos look like mine. Yours, however, appears much "more blue" in your photos. This is not being critical, just an observation.

Thanks again for sharing this review!

-jeff

GSS

Great review - thanks for posting this, as I've been looking at these online.
They look like a very inexpensive, yet well-made option for high-power.

One (slightly off-topic) comment:

It's amazing to me some of the color variances that cameras produce with the 445's.
My 445 from a different vendor, definitely has a purple hue to it (which I REALLY like). So much so that I looked up more photos online to confirm, and saw that many 445 photos look like mine. Yours, however, appears much "more blue" in your photos. This is not being critical, just an observation.

Thanks again for sharing this review!

-jeff
These 501b hosts seem to be the best first and cheapest upgrade for more power as it kinda has a decent heatsink. From what ive seen the camera seems to show these 445s more blue than the violet side we see. @absolute take a look at DTR,s sight and look up his lenses and you will get an idea. I believe SciFi should have put a G2 on the higher 2+W 445 but if your Happy its up to you.

From the pictures on DTR's site this indeed looks like a 3 element lens.
I'm happy with it either way :D

To me the beam looks as blue as in the pictures, not a hint of violet, but I think we all perceive color a little differently.

GSS

From the pictures on DTR's site this indeed looks like a 3 element lens.
I'm happy with it either way :D

To me the beam looks as blue as in the pictures, not a hint of violet, but I think we all perceive color a little differently.
Good im happy to hear that and with that much output you wouldnt really notice the difference in brightness and burning, if you ever wanted to play with a G2 you saw how cheap they are. Nice video you posted by the way forgot to mention that. Wavelengths do change a little bit on the same diode with different power levels my 1.2W SciFi does have a violet hint to it or it could be are eyes like you said. Enjoy it and be safe ok:beer::)

Last edited:

GSS

absolute as far as the confusion of the 3 element looking like its only 2 lenses, there are 2 lenses that are bonded together. There is another thread going that reminded me of that.

@GSS That might explain the difference in color, I didn't know diodes could change wavelength if they are pushed harder.

And I'm starting to wonder about how much difference in burning power there is between the G2 and 3 element lenses, so I'm gonna ask Eitan if he can send me a G2 (because that's what was supposed to come with this laser)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
absolute, here's a good lens comparison Link, using various diodes. I would estimate that you may see a 30%+ increase in output with a G2 lens.

Last edited:

GSS

I've read maby as much as 30%, going through 3 lenses I guess does restrict some. but at 2.4W your still at 2+ What ever happens with Etain keep that 3 element also cause you will lose alot of that tight dot and divergance. Having 2 lenses to play with is also plus:).....There you go Bowtie you beat me this time!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Bowtie and QSS. 30% is quite a difference!
Eitan has already replied that he will send me the other lens, can't wait to try it :whistle:

Oh, and I get to keep the 3 element lens as well so I can switch whenever I like :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Bowtie and QSS. 30% is quite a difference!
Eitan has already replied that he will send me the other lens, can't wait to try it :whistle:

Oh, and I get to keep the 3 element lens as well so I can switch whenever I like :)

Thanks for the review. And sorry for sending the wrong lens in.

You will get a new G lens within a week :)