Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanyo develops laser diode for 12x burning

FireMyLaser said:
450mw must be the pulsed rating, otherwise this is a multimode diode. :-?

Multi-mode diodes are incompatible with optical media. The focal point is far too large.

suiraM

Isn't that mostly a matter of a microlens with a blazed grating or somesuch?

The DHT-0811 certainly doesn't operate in a single mode, and has a blazed grating mounted in front of it.

Google "external cavity diode laser" or somesuch... I have 12-pin reds in a very odd case, with a microlens instead of the window, having two mirrors and one blazed grating inside the microlens, and having a TEC between the laser chip and the header plate, as well as something that looks like a very advanced APC with some logic, a photodiode and some sort of H-bridge, going by my microscope.

I love getting all the returns at the local home electronics outlet. ;)

Kenom said:
Boy, I remember not that long ago (6 months) when everyone was hella excited about breaking the 200mw barrier with 650nm laser diodes. We were pushing the envelope and happy to achieve 200mw. Bluray was just coming out and we were all dreaming of the day we'd have bluray lasers and now..... pffft. 200mw red? BOOOORING. Sonar 60mw pulsed? BOOOORING. I'll take 350mw of red and raise you a 200mw bluray.
Same here, I remember when we would buy those ps3 sleds off of eBay for like $60 a piece for 10mW of blu-ray, and it was pretty special for somebody to have one of those. I think there is a thread a year old somewhere where somebody made a topic asking about blu-ray burners, and half the thread is everybody dreaming of 125mW of violet. ;D I can see in a couple of years when it will be outdated to have a 200mW red burner because the violets will be so powerful that it will be useless to keep a red around for burning. ;D