Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu's Pockets: Laserpainting

Radim

Hi my Friends,

it is long time, I've purchased some lasers and since I've heard here Sanwu is not releasing their RGB (any news and/or information confirmation?), I'll go with original idea for Instant Laserpainting and my Secret Project A.

I'll go with Pocket Series Lasers.
Hereby my art for reference: LINK

Since I have no products of Sanwu so far, therefore I would appreciate Tips & Tricks about these lasers. Some experience is fine. Thanks.

Wavelengths considered:
  • 405 nm
  • 488 nm
  • 505 nm
  • 520 nm
  • 635 nm
  • 650 nm

Which option (I'll likely go with 3 lasers now) would you recommend me? Just tips (I have my Favourites already).

What about Lens? Is there possible to get drawings or photos of G3 and G7? I'm interested in best beam specs possible.

Thank you.

Regards,

Radim

P.S.: What about 530 nm? Any experience with this diode?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, duty cycle may affect you if wanting long exposure times and complicated setups.

Gazen

There duty cycle isn’t the best, like others said.

I own a 405 and 650 and they’re great, the 405 should have decent beam specs given the diode.

Tip: don’t get the multi mode driver, it’s a pain in the ass to deal with given the small button, though the low power mode is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Radim

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've went through their pages, I'm aware of Duty cycle. For my use no problem. I can deal with that and extend it by proper technique. I like the size of pen and high powers of wavelength.

Regarding Lenses it would be best for me to see some drawings with dimensions. I will calculate my parameters, no problem. I'll try to ask Sanwu maybe.

Anyway for best beam G3?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
G3? I think you mean G7. :thinking:
According to Sanwu themselves.
G7 is the second best high pass single lens but it won't increase the beam divergence like G2 does. G7 has a long focus length just like 3-elements lens, a well balanced lens between 3-element(divergence) and G2(power).

3-element is for beam quality, g2 for beam power, and g7 is the best of both. I would of thought you would require beam quality over power, so a 3 element or g7 would suit you best.

Last edited:

Radim

Update: They offer G2 or G7. G7 for best beam then?

Edit:

G3? I think you mean G7.
According to Sanwu themselves.

3-element is for beam quality, g2 for beam power, and g7 is the best of both. I would of thought you would require beam quality over power, so a 3 element or g7 would suit you best.

Yeah, thanks, Curtis. I was thinking so...

Now just to get decision on Accessories. Optic kits, cases for carriage, tips for use... Any suggestions? Experience? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
They offer 3 elements too. They are the Standard lens option.

BobMc

Hi my Friends,

it is long time, I've purchased some lasers and since I've heard here Sanwu is not releasing their RGB (any news and/or information confirmation?), I'll go with original idea for Instant Laserpainting and my Secret Project A.

I'll go with Pocket Series Lasers.
Hereby my art for reference: LINK

Since I have no products of Sanwu so far, therefore I would appreciate Tips & Tricks about these lasers. Some experience is fine. Thanks.

Wavelengths considered:
  • 405 nm
  • 488 nm
  • 505 nm
  • 520 nm
  • 635 nm
  • 650 nm

Which option (I'll likely go with 3 lasers now) would you recommend me? Just tips (I have my Favourites already).

What about Lens? Is there possible to get drawings or photos of G3 and G7? I'm interested in best beam specs possible.

Thank you.

Regards,

Radim

P.S.: What about 530 nm? Any experience with this diode?

I think I may have inadvertently started you thinking that Sanwu was not releasing their RGB. What I meant to say was “yet” they still are going to, as far as I know? And if not, I’m calling my Congressman!

Pockets 488, 520 , 635 (my opinion) :)

Last edited:

Radim

Thanks Curtis, still G7 will be better option.

Bob, it could be the case. Still the RGB host takes long time to develop, therefore I guess there are still child diseases present. We might wait longer than expected. I even did not seem some recent information from Podo, therefore I guess we might wait for it till Autumn, Winter this year. When seening such a small host of RGB it is for sure not easy to handle. In addition we have presented a lot of stuff they can do with it, so it might take longer to adapt some selected ideas.

Thank you for your opinion, in case of three lasers this would be my option. ;) Now I think to get also 405 nm, what is awesome wavelength as well. I'm very intereseted in 488 nm, due to its amazing blue-greentinted color. Might be interesting to capture on camera. 520 nm is classic, but beautiful color and 635 nm or 650 nm? I have just a little reds and I guess 635 nm is better for color balance if the laser selection should create nice colorspace. 650 nm might be too dim and of too much power invisible - more dangerous (since I need to see the beams for complex compositions) for same amount of power.

Also when thinking about duty cycle. As far as I know, if the laser is not held in hand and cooling is provided, it might run much longer. When using Optotronics Beast I did not have problem with short duty cycle. I was able to extend it with laser still being not hot after all. No visible power loss. If laser is of high quality in reality the duty cycle is longer with no problem. If I compare my collection, WL have unlimited duty cycle and they often get warmer than Opto Beast when I switch it off.

That reminds me. Optotronics Beast review. It will take me some time, since I use it rarely, it is jewel. Beautiful laser used for special purposes only. And there it excel with perfection. The artwork of Unseen series I've seen yesterday - well, Beast did her job much better than expected. Such results were extremely surprising for me. Expensive, but great laser even with limited duty cycle.

I bought a G7 lens from them. I suppose it is useful for some diodes, but didn't like it for these Sharp diodes. With housing and shipping costs, they are among the more expensive lenses offered. Mine is collecting dust in my stock. If the 30 second run time is no problem for your purposes, Radim, then go for it. But, if it is, there are alternatives that will give you much longer run times. My 488nm will run for two minutes without getting warm. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Gazen

Update: They offer G2 or G7. G7 for best beam then?

Edit:

Yeah, thanks, Curtis. I was thinking so...

Now just to get decision on Accessories. Optic kits, cases for carriage, tips for use... Any suggestions? Experience? Thanks in advance.

For optics kits you could try optotronics.

Radim

I bought a G7 lens from them. I suppose it is useful for some diodes, but didn't like it for these Sharp diodes. With housing and shipping costs, they are among the more expensive lenses offered. Mine is collecting dust in my stock. If the 30 second run time is no problem for your purposes, Radim, then go for it. But, if it is, there are alternatives that will give you much longer run times. My 488nm will run for two minutes without getting warm. Just a thought.

I just want the best beam possible, not interested in burning, just nice beam. Thanks for input.

For optics kits you could try optotronics.
Yeah, I have a really nice kit from them, what I've ordered together with my RPL II - the Beast. BTW awesome laser, best 532 nm portable.

Edit: It seems RGB is still in the game. I've just seen Sanwu's ad on FB Page. Saying coming soon... Damn it, I need to wait. :D I still want that RGB badly. :D

Last edited: