Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Spiker - 3W vs 5w

payj

I am looking to get either one. And would like to know which one has the least beam divergence of the two. I would like to avoid the 3x if possible.

Thank you

Sta

The 3W will have somewhat lower divergence. However, if you use the G7 lens, it'll counteract the poor divergence of the 5W. Either one is a good choice but if you're looking for a great balance I'd go with the 5W and G7 lens. :)

Last edited:

payj

What would be the size of the beam at lets say 6 miles?

I guess, I am looking for a burner along with something that can reach out there, but without the 3x adapter if possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BobMc

Don't know if it's what your looking for but if your looking for a real tight beam Sanwu's Challenger 2 at 520nm at 1 watt with a g7 lens seen to be the tightest beam that I have. It seem to be just like straight pencil for miles and just doesn't break apart but than its green and they do have a tighter divergence. Don't know if that helps. But food for thought ?

Sta

Don't know if it's what your looking for but if your looking for a real tight beam Sanwu's Challenger 2 at 520nm at 1 watt with a g7 lens seen to be the tightest beam that I have. It seem to be just like straight pencil for miles and just doesn't break apart but than its green and they do have a tighter divergence. Don't know if that helps. But food for thought ?

In fact, the NDG7475 (your 520nm 1W) has exactly the same divergence as the NDB7875 (the 3 watt 445.) So you can expect similar results with the 3W/G7. However, neither one will reach 6 miles easily without the 3x expander. But if that is your goal I would recommend the 3W 445 with G7 and expander. :)

Edit: Even with the expander, the beam will be about 5-8 meters wide at a distance of 6 miles.

Last edited:
Surprised that nobody's mentioned corrective optics or even a standard 3E lens. The 3-element lens has one of the best divergence qualities on the market, and a cylindrical pair (corrective optics) would greatly reduce the divergence on the fast axis for a much better beam quality.

Sta

Surprised that nobody's mentioned corrective optics or even a standard 3E lens. The 3-element lens has one of the best divergence qualities on the market, and a cylindrical pair (corrective optics) would greatly reduce the divergence on the fast axis for a much better beam quality.

EP, the G7 has the same divergence specs as the 3-element, but with more power. So there's no reason not to use the G7. :)

diachi

Surprised myself no one mentioned the 3E - although it is a little lossy compared with the others.

As for corrective optics ... I don't imagine OP wants to start bolting DIY corrective optics mounts and such onto the end of their shiny new laser... At least the 3x goes with the host and is professionally built. :)

BobMc

If it is true like Sta says that the divergence of the 3w is the same as the 1watt 520, if beam divergence is what your looking for I would definetly go with that. I have a Sanwu Silver 5w with a g7 lens on it and when I compare that to my 520 there's no comparison, the 520 has a much tighter beam. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

payj

Hey Guys,

After speaking with Francis I ended up going with the 3W 445nm. It uses a single mode diode where the 5w 445 and 4w 465 are using multi-mode diodes and therefore have a wider beam divergence.

I used to have a 150mw green laser I got back 6-7 years ago after doing some research here. It seems technology has really picked up? How much was a 3W blue laser back then?? Thousands right? I remember Optotronics being highly recommended back in the day and still is. I went back to his site and he want $17,000 for a blue 2W laser!?!?!? It seems like his pricing reflects a decade ago pricing for such power?

In terms of brightness and power I would expect this to spank my 150 out of the water right?

BobMc

You can't go wrong with a Sanwu, and yes it will be a huge step up! Thing about getting a beam expander their really worth the 65.00 dollars. If you get one get the adapter also, that way you can use them on your other lasers.

Last edited:

GSS

He said the 3W is a single mode?? Not sure on that.

Last edited:

Cel

Hey Guys,

After speaking with Francis I ended up going with the 3W 445nm. It uses a single mode diode where the 5w 445 and 4w 465 are using multi-mode diodes and therefore have a wider beam divergence.

That doesn't exist.

Has anyone confirmed divergence of G7 vs 3-ele (except the sellers)?

payj

It is possible I misunderstood him. I just re-read his email. He stated that Laser over 3W usually have poor divergence due to multi-diode - thats all. He then proceeded to say that his 3W 445nm laser has a divergance of 1.3mrad with the G7 and would be the best option for me as I wanted a good mix of power and throw so to speak without the need of the 3x expnader....

payj

Also, to help wrap my head around - why is a blue from Opto of similar (2w) power $17,000? Was that not the price of admission from 10 years ago or so?

Last edited:

Cel

Glad that's clarified. :)

The one from opto isn't portable, it's a labby. And I have no idea why it's so expensive.

Last edited: