Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Siver switch problems

Got the new cheap ones- a 100mw green and a 200mw red and of course glasses to go with. Mostly for pointing but the red lights cigarettes so maybe it might light a match,pop a balloon or burn through paper. Anyway I'll have three colors to light up the night sky.
Why didn't you guys tell me once I held a laser in my hands I would get addicted? Is there a 10 step program for laser addiction?

BobMc

Got the new cheap ones- a 100mw green and a 200mw red and of course glasses to go with. Mostly for pointing but the red lights cigarettes so maybe it might light a match,pop a balloon or burn through paper. Anyway I'll have three colors to light up the night sky.
Why didn't you guys tell me once I held a laser in my hands I would get addicted? Is there a 10 step program for laser addiction?

I take it you bought a couple of Sanwu's pocket lasers ? If you did, their nice little units you can carry on your pocket. I'm guessing that why they call them pockets :thinking: heee.

Yes there is, if your addiction gets to bad you can always go to Lasers Anonymous :)

Have fun lighting up the night sky!

Last edited:

Podo

Glad you figured it out, it isn't in low power mode, it's a electronics lock, the output is around 0 ~ 5mw generally.

In that case, we will send the silver tailcap together with your laser pointers order.

Last edited:
0 to 5mw. It looks a lot brighter than that. I would guess that it is more like 100 to 200 mw. When I get the new ones in I will compare it to them and maybe take pictures and post them here.
Thanks Podo for everything and for sending a new tailcap.

Update: I received the metal button for the tailcap put it in and it seems ok. The green and red laser 303's are also working. The green laser takes the battery positive side towards the tailcap and the red laser takes the battery positive side towards the module end. Both 303's but quite different from each other. Sure would be nice if they would have some sort of instructions with each one.
The green laser really shows up in the night sky,the red laser not so much.

GSS

Peabody, i'm trying to link you the relative brightness calculator if you don't know about it already to compare WL's. I'm having a issue so hopefully someone can link it.
Its a fun tool to play with:)

Last edited:

diachi

Peabody, i'm trying to link you the relative brightness calculator if you don't know about it already to compare WL's. I'm having a issue so hopefully someone can link it.
Its a fun tool to play with:)

Relative Laser Beam Brightness Calculator: (418nm 1mw) vs. (639nm 1mw)

:)

Update: I received the metal button for the tailcap put it in and it seems ok. The green and red laser 303's are also working. The green laser takes the battery positive side towards the tailcap and the red laser takes the battery positive side towards the module end. Both 303's but quite different from each other. Sure would be nice if they would have some sort of instructions with each one.
The green laser really shows up in the night sky,the red laser not so much.

That's a result of how DPSS laser pump diodes are constructed. The diode case itself is the positive/anode pin, so generally the whole host case is positive, otherwise they need to insulate the diode/DPSS module electrically from the host which adds complications and could create thermal issues. It's generally safe to assume that the battery will go in negative first (Towards the front/driver etc) for DPSS lasers, while the positive terminal will be in contact with the case at the tail end.

For red diodes the case is either neutral or negative/cathode, so the host case is then used as negative/cathode.

Green is far brighter than red (especially at 650nm) for the same power output. You need much more power at 650nm to achieve the same beam visibility.

Last edited:
hey, thanks for the info Diachi and GSS. Are you saying that the green one will probably get hotter than the red one because the case ends up negative? I don't really understand DC current that much. It would seem like the module would get hot no matter which end of the battery was facing. So much to learn about current!

I have a 100mw 532 and a 200mw 650. Both are working really well for cheapies. Got both lasers and two pair of glasses for 67 bucks from Sanwu. Pretty good deal.

diachi

hey, thanks for the info Diachi and GSS. Are you saying that the green one will probably get hotter than the red one because the case ends up negative? I don't really understand DC current that much. It would seem like the module would get hot no matter which end of the battery was facing. So much to learn about current!

I have a 100mw 532 and a 200mw 650. Both are working really well for cheapies. Got both lasers and two pair of glasses for 67 bucks from Sanwu. Pretty good deal.

For equal output powers the green will get hotter than the red due to higher input power/lower efficiency. A 100mW green requires a >300mW pump diode for example, perhaps even 500mW.

But that's not what I was getting at. If you have the DPSS module/pump diode electrically isolated from the host (in order to have the host case negative, instead of case positive) then it becomes harder to remove waste heat from the diode/module, which results in performance issues and/or a shorter duty cycle. Especially with DPSS lasers which are rather temperature sensitive compared to direct diode lasers to begin with.

Hope that clears it up? :)

Oh, OK, so probably the Silver 445 is a direct diode laser since the batteries are positive forward.
Again, thanks so much for helping a dummy out. Eventually the info will sink in there and the bug-a-boo will be trying to retrieve it! LOL

diachi

Oh, OK, so probably the Silver 445 is a direct diode laser since the batteries are positive forward.
Again, thanks so much for helping a dummy out. Eventually the info will sink in there and the bug-a-boo will be trying to retrieve it! LOL

Yeah, 445nm is direct diode. The only DPSS wavelengths we see in pointers are 532nm (the most common), 473nm, 589nm, 594nm and then much less commonly 561nm and 671nm. Anything else is almost guaranteed to be direct diode.