Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Lightsaber

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey guys, after recently reading a thread made by "Brewdiver82" reviewing his new Sanwu Spiker 7W w/accessories, I felt the need to try out one of Sanwu's "Lightsaber" attachments.
I've always thought they looked pretty darn cool, but I just never got around to ordering one; hell how can you go wrong for $18. :yh:

I ordered the Lightsaber $18, and the 9.0 x 0.5mm adaptor $5. I don't own any Sanwu lasers yet, so I only bought the generic 9mm adapter that fits any 12mm module.
I figure I'll make any other laser specific adaptors that I'll need.

This is my first time ordering from Sanwu, and I found the ordering straightforward, the shipping was quick, and the Lightsaber arrived in perfect condition.
I was a little worried when I saw that it was shipped in only a brown padded envelope with some extra bubble wrap at the ends, and it was stuffed in my mailbox with not quite enough room to get the door closed properly. :eek:

When I first received my new toy, I naturally had to take the knurled 9.0 x 0.5mm adaptor off, and when I did, I noticed that the threads that were cut on the plastic Lightsaber itself were a larger diameter (12mm x 0.5mm) IIRC.
Seeing this gave me an idea to try to fit the Lightsaber directly to my J/L pen series laser, which has an internal thread cut into the front of it; it looks like it was literally made for it, a perfect fit! :cool:

All in all, I'm very happy with my first experience with Sanwu, even though it was only a small purchase. I would, and probably will buy from them again. 10/10! :beer:

This version of their Lightsaber seems to be different (better) than some of the previous versions that I've seen; these have some very good looking vertical grooves on the inside of the bore which give it a much classier look than the plain tube.

One suggestion that I have would be to make a "Big Brother" version of this fine product.
The current Lightsabers are approx. 40cm (16") long, which seems to be a perfect size for the small to medium laser hosts.
I think something a few mm larger in diameter, and maybe 15~20cm (6"-8") longer would be perfect for those extra large lasers such as the PL-E Pro's.

Below are a few photos of my Lightsaber. :yh:

EJIjdtG.jpg

sayYt6g.jpg

qm0NLzi.jpg

3H8oSTh.jpg

YZY1pmH.jpg
VvCjClE.jpg

Here you can see the internal grooves, they really improve the look over the original.
9AIetOv.jpg

Made for each other!
rc9SVhw.jpg

On my J/L 465nm PL-E Mini.
LNaKZdC.jpg

Edit: The following photos have been added 9/18/17 7:22pm

Here are a few more pics of my Coleman 638nm, and my Spartan 589nm! :yh:

cbKHbmi.jpg

bJQHJro.jpg

ryg1f7i.jpg

bzQQPhi.jpg

UASl41j.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:

Looks like you will fit right in at the next Star Wars
screening...;)

Jerry

BobMc

Very nice Bowtie! It does look like it was made for the JL. It's great when you find things that just fit together like that! Always wanted to grab one but always forgot, when I ordered from them. Looks like a great addition. Enjoy and don't cut anybody in half. :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Looks like you will fit right in at the next Star Wars
screening...;)

Jerry

I wish, unfortunately, my face is made for radio! :crackup:

@Bob, Thanks, it just happened to have the correct threads, and the diameter was right, and what do ya know ...a custom Lightsaber! :D

BTW, I just added some more photos using my Coleman 638nm, and my Spartan 589nm; a golden Lightsaber does look sweet! :yh:

Encap

Nice review, something different---good $18 add on--- as you mentioned looks better then most with the groove cuts--reasonable price for those who want similar.

The short length would make it good for signaling people or directing them to an area at night.

the 589nm and 635nm look good --unusual.

Hi BT ,
Very impressive great purchase, that is one really nice saber and the WL's stand out clearly. Good job and thanks for sharing the photos they are shocking buddy.

Rich:)

Great review, Jeff. Good thing you had those JL lasers. I don't have any so it would serve n useful purpose for me. Nice looking photos too. :D

Yep, beautiful shots indeed Jeff.
I've got a couple of the original ones as well, they certainly put on a nice show.
These look even better.
Love your 589 and 638 shots especially.

:beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice review, something different---good $18 add on--- as you mentioned looks better then most with the groove cuts--reasonable price for those who want similar.

The short length would make it good for signaling people or directing them to an area at night.

the 589nm and 635nm look good --unusual.

Yeah, they would make for a nice traffic or pedestrian directing wand, being unfocused, the plastic saber portion doesn't seem to heat up much at all. Your only limitations would be your duty cycle on the laser.
Go with low power and a large heatsink, and you'd be good to go almost indefinitely; at least as long as your batteries lasted. :yh:

@Lifetime, thank you sir!

@Paul, thanks, I just got lucky with the J/L pen laser. I happened to remember that it had threads inside the crown area, so I thought I give her a try.
Heck, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile! ;)

@Andrew, Appreciate your comments. I don't have any of the old style, but I've seen them in Pmans Lightsaber thread, and I agree, these have an improved look, especially when they are off; the grooves hide all the smudges and fingerprints that get on the plastic.

Nice! I would recommend the metal adapter piece as well though, since it threads on to the saber and has metal threads on the male end. Then you aren't risking damaging the plastic threads fitting it and removing it.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
No doubt, you are correct; I did get the one 9.0 x 0.5mm adapter that fit the 12mm modules, but not their other one.
It was just coincidence that my J/L pen had the proper threads to fit the Lightsaber, I had forgotten that it even had threads in it.
The next time that I order from Sanwu, I'll probably pick up an adapter.
Do you know what the thread size and pitch is on their adapter?