Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 7W silver

Kaiden57

Ok so this is my first ever review and I I dont have all the exact specs for this laser sp it will be more of a consumer review instead of a builder's review, so here goes!

Sanwu silver 7 watt 445nm laser

Shipping- ~3weeks from order

Packing- if you haven't ordered from sanwu then its packed like every other order I've received from then in that it's a manilla envelope style package with plenty of bubble wrap and the laser is in anti static bags. They do a pretty decent job with packing in my opinion

The laser- well if you haven't looked at the specs or dont comprehend the mm measurements then let me tell you... it's a big ass laser and heavy. It's a long slim laser that weighs about a pound. I imagine its lighter than a homebrew laser since the heatsink is *cough* non existent *cough* that being said for as much power as this thing pushes it handles heat well. I dont dare run it more than 60 secs and that's pushing it because it does get pretty damn warm but cools off relatively quickly. It burns ...well it burns everything honestly so be careful using it, that means safety goggles are not an option put those f****rs on.

Batteries- the laser takes 2 18650 batteries and due to the duty cycle they last a good while I think. You can also use 2 186650's if you take the half off before the tail cap (more on that later) you can also use 2 16340's in a pinch but in would go with the 18's or you'll get rattling sometimes

The lens and beam- what can I say I've come to love sanwu for their lenses and optics. I mean they are set expertly, just as clean as can be and beam alignment is superb. Hands down better than any other laser I own. The divergence doesn't look near as bad as alot of 7W lasers I've seen in vids and pics, especially with the g7 lens and beam expander sanwu offers. I would say the spot is about a foot wide after 50-75 feet without the expander and 6 inches or less across at the same distance with the expander.

Safety- if you do not own a pair of good goggles by the time you're looking at 7W lasers then you DO NOT need a 7W laser. Goggles are a must for all lasers but even more so with a higher watt output laser like this. The spot brightness between my Chinese 1W and silver 7W look about the same when I peek over my goggles but where you really notice the difference is in the beam. My 1W has a somewhat hazy but good visible beam while my 7W is a SOLID LINE of royal 445nm blue that you cannot mistake for what it is. Needless to say, after seeing the beam if you do not already have goggles on, you're going to be compelled to get some because I certainly DO NOT want to melt my face with a reflection of that beam off of something I lase across ...and melt your face is exactly what it will do. So make sure you have the proper eyewear before even touching this laser. 😎

The host- I love the sanwu host, simple and elegant at the same time. You cant even see the joints where the host unscrews unless you know they're there. The sanwu silver comes in 4 sections: the focusing lens, the module, the body and the tail cap. It holds 2 18650 cells (case negative) and if you leave the body off you can use 2 18350 cells to power it at the cost of run time and a slightly tighter fit when screwing the tail cap on.

Overall- so far sanwu has never let me down. I've ordered 2 pockets, 2 challenger's and my silver from them and they are my absolute favorite company to date. Customer service is top notch, KEEP IT UP PODO/FRANCIS!! They will work with you and any questions or problems you have. Shipping is handled well, sales are honest and overall it's one of the better places to buy a good quality top shelf laser. You cant go wrong with any product sanwu offers you really do get your monies worth from them. 10 out of 10 would recommend anyone new to lasers to take a look at sanwu and anyone who has been into lasers for years who hasn't checked them out to do it and do it now, you wont be disappointed.

Pics- to follow. If they do not upload can someone help me find a place to host them and how to link to them? -edit/update- the pics I have of the host in hand are too large to post here definitely need help with the above mentioned.

Thanks for reading my first ever review! Any feedback and tips for future reviews will be noted and much appreciated!

Stay safe and keep on shining!FB_IMG_1552834437270.jpgFB_IMG_1552861863496.jpgFB_IMG_5762659792476515639.jpg20190315_142608.jpg20190320_111619.jpg

Last edited:

Frozenferrari

Wow, indeed you really cannot see any of the seams in the host. Seems the norm for their products. Jewler like quality. Thats awesome! Great pics and great review!

shame podo can't reply to my msgs in pvt , mine dosnt burn anything that it said, it would
i even e-mailed company , and 2 weeks , still nothing
Thanks

Kaiden57

shame podo can't reply to my msgs in pvt , mine dosnt burn anything that it said, it would
i even e-mailed company , and 2 weeks , still nothing
Thanks
That's a shame, something must have happened during shipping I would guess because mine burns literally everything. I'm sure sanwu will get back to you they have excellent customer service usually. They get busy sometimes so have faith all is not lost. You can contact them by email at sanwuservice@gmail.com and they usually reply within a couple days. Hope that helps and you get your issue resolved!

i already done that Kaiden, i also gave them a hell of a good review for the engineering , i just hadn't tried it then as i never had a battery, still no reply from them as yet, i have just sent another see what happens , but as it was 25 2 19 its gone over the return date i think. plus it would cost half as much as it cost to send as it did to purchase, tut .

i wont buy any lasers below 80 mW again , they all total crap.
we all learn from mistakes...........
200 mW and above next

GSS

Paul, i'm just curious to what your email Sanwu is about, I think I missed it?
Even if it won't burn and is 80mW it's still a nice unit that should last a good long time. You just might also be a little disappointed with a 200mW as far as burning unless you have a 405nm with a nice tight spot which will light a match and maby etch a wooden popsicle stick.
I would think 500mW is bare minimum to get a starter burner..

Kaiden57

Paul, i'm just curious to what your email Sanwu is about, I think I missed it?
Even if it won't burn and is 80mW it's still a nice unit that should last a good long time. You just might also be a little disappointed with a 200mW as far as burning unless you have a 405nm with a nice tight spot which will light a match and maby etch a wooden popsicle stick.
I would think 500mW is bare minimum to get a starter burner..
I just got my new Sanwu challenger 1.4W 405nm in today and I really believe it burns just as well if not even better than my 7W silver 😁. 405nm is definitely the way to go for burn efficiency.

GSS

I just got my new Sanwu challenger 1.4W 405nm in today and I really believe it burns just as well if not even better than my 7W silver 😁. 405nm is definitely the way to go for burn efficiency.
What lens did you get? Has to be one of the new multi mode 405's?

Kaiden57

What lens did you get? Has to be one of the new multi mode 405's?
Not sure the lens I never specified so it's the stock lens they are shipping, either 3E or G7 are what I've been seeing. As far as the laser goes it's just the 1.4w 405 challenger model. No print around the diode window. I haven't asked podo but I'm sure he would know.

My 7W is a fire hazard.
Started a fire by not noticing it hitting a brown shopping bag 30' across the room! Saw smoke and flames!
Don't even think about pointing this at the little red capsule in a sprinkler head above you. Unless you want to get wet. And likely in big trouble to boot!

My 7W is a fire hazard.
Started a fire by not noticing it hitting a brown shopping bag 30' across the room! Saw smoke and flames!
Don't even think about pointing this at the little red capsule in a sprinkler head above you. Unless you want to get wet. And likely in big trouble to boot!
Actually YOU are the fire hazard, the laser is just a tool such as a knife, a knife is not a death hazard unless used carelessly.
I'm not being mean just pointing out the fact that our lasers are not a hazard if used safely.

Well I just want to make it clear, it's easy to get carried away and IMO, there's lots of novices that really shouldn't be getting class IV devices. Whether its exceeding the duty cycle or not being aware of where the beam is reaching (especially outdoors!)

Typically, I treat all of my lasers like a firearm. In the 35 years I've been using them I still have both eyes and ears. (and in my mid 50s can still hear the 15.75 kHz whine of a CRT flyback!) Even as such, it only takes a simple slip up to cause a permanent, life changing event.

Well I just want to make it clear, it's easy to get carried away and IMO, there's lots of novices that really shouldn't be getting class IV devices. Whether its exceeding the duty cycle or not being aware of where the beam is reaching (especially outdoors!)

Typically, I treat all of my lasers like a firearm. In the 35 years I've been using them I still have both eyes and ears. (and in my mid 50s can still hear the 15.75 kHz whine of a CRT flyback!) Even as such, it only takes a simple slip up to cause a permanent, life changing event.

What does that have to do with my statement ?
You are conflating laser safety with carelessness.
Don't get me wrong, mistakes/accidents happen, but labeling a box of matches a " fire hazzard " is incorrect as a blanket statement.

#1 A box of matches is not a fire hazard.

#2 Faulty electric wiring in a match factory is a fire hazard.

Neither of statements #1 or #2 negate the fact that fire can burn you and 3rd degree burns can be very painful and a life changing experience.

Although matches have the potential to make fire they don't burst into flames all by themselves, it's not like nitroglycerine that becomes unstable sitting on a shelf.

In short You are responsible for your actions with a laser, it's not the laser that's to blame for a fire that you might create through carelessness or ignorance while operating a laser.

Furthermore my laser is not a fire hazard just because you started a fire with yours.

Last edited:
Actually YOU are the fire hazard, the laser is just a tool such as a knife, a knife is not a death hazard unless used carelessly.
I'm not being mean just pointing out the fact that our lasers are not a hazard if used safely.

A nuclear bomb is not a hazard, it is just a tool, so YOU are the hazard if you a nuclear bomb carelessly. Nuclear bombs are not hazardous if used safely.

In short You are responsible for your actions with a nuclear bomb, it's not the nuclear bomb that's to blame for a nuclear war that you might create through carelessness or ignorance while operating a nuclear bomb.

Furthermore my nuclear bomb is not a hazard just because you started a war with yours.

(LOL.)