Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 7W silver

Even if the battery sags to 4 volts each, that leaves 8 volts at 3 amps from post 42. That is still 24 watts that if it isn't going to optical power must be waste heat. Otherwise, where is it going?

The point is you can test with a jumper in place of the tailcap and an inductive ammeter to see if it's drawing close to what it should, provided you have decent cells, and yes, the 7w NUBM44 makes a fair amount of waste heat, there is also the driver and the lens, so yea, it's going to warm up pretty quick, that's why I like big heat reservoirs with lots of surface area.

No way would the spiker be 100% duty cycle, not unless it cuts power drastically.

Yes total waste heat would be in the 17w range.

30-60 seconds at full power and you should feel some heat based on the size, my big 44 units are good and warm in 5 minutes, but they are much thicker than the spiker.

In the stock projector these diodes are run at a lower current and are more efficient, also they have fan forced air over fins.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is he not getting any light out of it?

----edit----

Ok I see in post 34 he says it's dim, sounds like it's defective, likely a driver issue.

Has he checked to see what it's drawing from the batteries?

Ok I went back and read, YES ultarcrap are garbage, you should be drawing 3 amps from 2 cells and more as they discharge to a lower voltage, it's going to want 24 watts in how ever it gets it.

Try some decent batteries, if it's still dim and getting warm fast I would suspect the driver.

Last edited:
I guess my point is that host is not designed to manage the amount of heat that is produced in it. It is going to run hot as long as there is enough current at a sufficient voltage to produce 7 watts of optical power. Also he is using cheap old batteries and wondering why it runs out of power so quickly.

Yes even with good batteries that host will heat up in a minute, maybe 90 seconds in winter time, depends on what you call warm/hot.

What is the recommended duty cycle?

Last edited:
It may be cutting power to reduce temp

Try good cells and see if it comes on bright, if so and it dims after a set number of seconds consistently then it could be a thermal protection built in.

It wont run more than 90 seconds without getting good and hot...if that, at full power of 7W of laser output.

A courier just dropped mine off today! Two days ahead of schedule.
The batteries I ordered are Panasonic protected 18650s. They are longer than standard 18650s so keep this in mind if you want to use OEM unprotected cells.
The batteries metered in at 3.53V which means they need to be charged.
However, I inserted them and fired up the laser. The multi mode is a PIA to be honest, but once I got it lasing at full power, it definitely throws. (and flames! haha)
It does get hot fast on the business end and after removing the lens holder I can confirm too, the diode is canless.

I was able to ablate the hell out of some candy, even had one of those "sweetheart" candies catch on fire internally and it was hissing like my propane burner.

I put the cells on the charger, they are at 3.32V and recovering.

The materials and workmanship are pretty good on this one. I will order a 1W 520 as well with single mode switch in the Guardian series next. 1W 635 would be nice and perhaps a 150mw 520 pocket series. :)

When I get back from a call I have to go out on I will experiment, er. play some more. It will be dark as well. :D

EDIT: Not sure if there is a published duty cycle on these, but in my experience from what I'm seeing (and feeling) here is runs should be limited to 30 seconds maximum.

Last edited:
My protected Panasonic 18650 3400 mAh cells are scheduled to get here tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing how they perform.

BobMc

A courier just dropped mine off today! Two days ahead of schedule.
The batteries I ordered are Panasonic protected 18650s. They are longer than standard 18650s so keep this in mind if you want to use OEM unprotected cells.
The batteries metered in at 3.53V which means they need to be charged.
However, I inserted them and fired up the laser. The multi mode is a PIA to be honest, but once I got it lasing at full power, it definitely throws. (and flames! haha)
It does get hot fast on the business end and after removing the lens holder I can confirm too, the diode is canless.

I was able to ablate the hell out of some candy, even had one of those "sweetheart" candies catch on fire internally and it was hissing like my propane burner.

I put the cells on the charger, they are at 3.32V and recovering.

The materials and workmanship are pretty good on this one. I will order a 1W 520 as well with single mode switch in the Guardian series next. 1W 635 would be nice and perhaps a 150mw 520 pocket series. :)

When I get back from a call I have to go out on I will experiment, er. play some more. It will be dark as well. :D

EDIT: Not sure if there is a published duty cycle on these, but in my experience from what I'm seeing (and feeling) here is runs should be limited to 30 seconds maximum.

Congrats Nordhavn on receiving your 7 watt Silver. That's one wickedly powerful unit. As per Sanwu's page their saying~~~ Duty cycle,~~7W 455nm(40 seconds on & off)~~ so you were in the ball park, probably safer to cut them a bit short. Your going to love your 1 watt 520 Guardian it's one of my most used lasers, so small compact, the divergence is something to tell the grand-kids about. Can carry it anywhere. But I do have one whine; What, no beams shots!!! :D

Edit, you might not have any grand-kids yet. Think I'm showing my age. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Congrats Nordhavn on receiving your 7 watt Silver. That's one wickedly powerful unit. As per Sanwu's page their saying~~~ Duty cycle,~~7W 455nm(40 seconds on & off)~~ so you were in the ball park, probably safer to cut them a bit short. Your going to love your 1 watt 520 Guardian it's one of my most used lasers, so small compact, the divergence is something to tell the grand-kids about. Can carry it anywhere. But I do have one whine; What, no beams shots!!! :D

Edit, you might not have any grand-kids yet. Think I'm showing my age. :)

Yes I haven't posted beam shots. Have to get out the real cameras. Iphone 7 camera just can't stop down enough to reveal the carnage. :eek:

Is the divergence on the 520 decent? It's pretty bad on this 7W as expected. But then again, even with a beam the size of a pinky across the room it can still blacken the planks!

Burning wood/engraving works well and the constant popping/producing of flames reminds me of much larger CO2 units. That's scary.

The Panasonic cells work well. Starting the evening with fully topped off 4.2V cells, and dropping them on the charger at 3.77 is pretty good. That's with a LOT of laser ON activity!

It will be interesting when the beam expander comes in.

EDIT:

I may have to update my profile pic. That one was from 2003, a laserscope Z fold running at about 35W. :D

And yes as for grandkids, my wife and I could never have kids but if we did they would be in their late 20s. :eek:

Last edited:
Congrats on your new laser, Nordhavn. I hope it is everything you expected and gives you years of enjoyment. :yh:

BobMc

Yes I haven't posted beam shots. Have to get out the real cameras. Iphone 7 camera just can't stop down enough to reveal the carnage. :eek:

Is the divergence on the 520 decent? It's pretty bad on this 7W as expected. But then again, even with a beam the size of a pinky across the room it can still blacken the planks!

Burning wood/engraving works well and the constant popping/producing of flames reminds me of much larger CO2 units. That's scary.

The Panasonic cells work well. Starting the evening with fully topped off 4.2V cells, and dropping them on the charger at 3.77 is pretty good. That's with a LOT of laser ON activity!

It will be interesting when the beam expander comes in.

EDIT:

I may have to update my profile pic. That one was from 2003, a laserscope Z fold running at about 35W. :D

And yes as for grandkids, my wife and I could never have kids but if we did they would be in their late 20s. :eek:

Heee heee, good answer, need to see the carnage in high def. :crackup:

Yes the divergence on the 1 watt 520's is a sight to see. I've got g7's on mine and their just great, 3 element would be tighter still???

I use Sanwu's BE on my 7 watter's, they definitely do the trick as far as cleaning up the beam profile a bunch. Have fun with your BE when it arrives. Just no fair abusing the neighbors cat. :)

That's a 35 watter in your signature? Impressive. :drool:

I've got a 2.6 watt 532 which is just awesome;

https://laserpointerforums.com/f44/2-6-watt-532nm-beam-shots-101456.html

Yep, 35W min. But it's more of a cannon than anything else. What was amazing to see at distance was the Coherent Compass at 200mW.
I have a Melles Griot expander here I may try using with the 7W.

I just got a letter suggesting their batteries. He suspects the tail device might not be working right. It was made for a five watt laser to begin with. So Sanwu is sending me the correct componants to put into the tail section along with the new batteries I ordered.
Anyway the weird thing is that the host gets hot even though the laser is just dim. Is it shunting the heat off somewhere else??

BobMc

Yep, 35W min. But it's more of a cannon than anything else. What was amazing to see at distance was the Coherent Compass at 200mW.
I have a Melles Griot expander here I may try using with the 7W.

I loved to see that thing fired up in the flesh. It’s just got to be sight to see! You get two :drool: :drool: ‘s

I just got a letter suggesting their batteries. He suspects the tail device might not be working right. It was made for a five watt laser to begin with. So Sanwu is sending me the correct componants to put into the tail section along with the new batteries I ordered.
Anyway the weird thing is that the host gets hot even though the laser is just dim. Is it shunting the heat off somewhere else??

Try the new switch and batteries and see, it could be just under the driver minimum due to resistance, but it sounds like a diode/driver problem.

Last edited: