Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 7W silver

How long did you run it?
My handhelds never really get much ON time, especially the >1W diodes in flashlight hosts. The lens mount heats up quite rapidly. Maybe 20 seconds tops?

I know if you're burning something it's easy to get carried away and forget how long it's on for.

I've worked with LDs since the mid 1980s back when having visible (red) at room temperature was a wet dream! 780 was common due to the growth of compact disc players. VLDs had internal photodiodes to monitor their output and a decent driver incorporated this to prevent facet damage and/or instantaneous destruction due to runaway depending on environment.

My favorite index guided VLD was the Toshiba TLD9211. Quite good for its time.

Now we have 1W 520nm VLDs. How times have changed.

I miss my handheld HeNe devices. The power supplies were fun to play with too!

I got into lasers back in the early 1980s when I got my first HeNe 632.8nm to make holograms with. Culled from a Pioneer Laser Disc, it was good enough to make 25 inch^2 glass reflection holograms. I got the bug in engineering school when I saw a copy of "The Kiss II" in the physics building in 1974. I now own several and need to find a place to setup another optical bench for holography. :thinking:

Last edited:

Cool! I would be at a loss these days if I had to find one. I look forward to your review and photos/video. ;)

Got the dispatch email this AM with a tracking number. They also put a note in there that they don't have lenses for the beam expander so it will ship later, ETA unknown. Not pleased with that BUT I do have other beam expanders I can use, it's just not as safe as it requires manual alignment and at 7W the reflections sting! Should (hopefully) have by the weekend as I went with the 2-5 day shipping option.

BobMc

Got the dispatch email this AM with a tracking number. They also put a note in there that they don't have lenses for the beam expander so it will ship later, ETA unknown. Not pleased with that BUT I do have other beam expanders I can use, it's just not as safe as it requires manual alignment and at 7W the reflections sting! Should (hopefully) have by the weekend as I went with the 2-5 day shipping option.

Glad it’s on it’s way, but it’s a bummer about the BE on back order. :( Hopefully it will follow soon. When I ordered from Sanwu, they usually show up 4-5 days (California, expedited shipping).

The 7watts sure can burn the tips of your fingers, burnt mine so many times their cauterized. (You think I learn??? :tinfoil: ) you should be throwing a whole bunch of photons soon. Enjoy and be safe.

Last edited:
Just got my mudule in. I had a 5 watt silver. I sent for the 7 watt module. When I examined it, it lookes like it is open canned to let more laser out and more heat syncing. They sent back a G lens as a bonus. I just installed the batteries...half dead. This thing has a kick like a mule!!. It got warm really quick! Needless to say it ate up the batteries just that quick.

I don't know anything about the quality of batteries they sell with their lasers, but you might want to look into some good new batteries for this new laser. I just ordered some from liionwholesales and got tracking on them today.

The batteries were ultrafire 18650s that sat in a drawer for more than a year since the last charge. Im sure I can get much better ones at the nearby vape shop

I'm sure you can do better than a couple of ultrafires too. I got a few over the years and they are never what they claim to be. You're doing good to get 1000 mAh 18650.

Last edited:
Liionwholesale is legit.

Sony VTC6 is a legit 3Ah. So is Samsung 30Q and LG HG2. If you need 30+ Amps then you will have to give up some capacity. But those are legit numbers. Ultrafire, trustfire, etc. nope. Not happening.

Iguess these junk batteries wont drive tge 7 watt correctly. It gets hot quick but not outputting a full beam

If it uses a NUBM44 diode, the diode alone puts out a great deal of waste heat. If the heat sink is insufficient to handle this heat, the unit will run very warm very quickly. Unless you are saying the batteries are the source of this heat.

Run it for a reasonable amount of time (30 sec?) and immediately pull the cells. They shouldn't be warm at all TBH. I push 18650s pretty hard in some of my mods (vaping) and they get warm but never hot. And we're talking about intermittent use at 30A+. A pull or hit lasts about 3-4 seconds, chain vaping may be 6-8 of those a minute.