Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu 1.6W 405nm?

So i was looking on Sanwu and saw on the challenger (as well as other models) that there is a 405nm 1.6W option! I immediately came here and found no info on this ridiculously powerful Blu-ray burner. Anyone else know about these? I am too curious about how much the visibility will be!

I think there are some multimode diodes available for 405nm. Pretty sure there was a post at some point about one that could reach these power levels. I would dig it up but I'm stuck on my phone for the rest of the year.

BobMc

So i was looking on Sanwu and saw on the challenger (as well as other models) that there is a 405nm 1.6W option! I immediately came here and found no info on this ridiculously powerful Blu-ray burner. Anyone else know about these? I am too curious about how much the visibility will be!

Here you go, Sanwu made a post about them a while ago. If you buy one, please let us know your thoughts and do a review. I'd loved to read it. :)

https://laserpointerforums.com/f39/...teel-spiker-release-93166-50.html#post1509455

Last edited:
I don't see the practical use of a multimode 405nm laser. Like Alaskan said, you'd be better off combining two BDR-209 single mode diodes and have much better divergence specs. A 1.6 watt multimode 405nm has the bad divergence of all multimode diodes, plus the barely visible wavelength 405nm provides. If I got one free, it would go into my collection never to be used again.

I don't see the practical use of a multimode 405nm laser. Like Alaskan said, you'd be better off combining two BDR-209 single mode diodes and have much better divergence specs. A 1.6 watt multimode 405nm has the bad divergence of all multimode diodes, plus the barely visible wavelength 405nm provides. If I got one free, it would go into my collection never to be used again.

Podo said the divergence is better then the m140 diode. Which is pretty good imo.

And plus we're not remembering that our one green diode, the PLP520-B1, is multimode though the divergence is barely affected by it. Every time it gets posted there's always someone who comments that they didn't know that.

Though I'd only be interested in these if we pushed them to the brink of death and shifted the wavelength. Personal preference for color over power :whistle:

And plus we're not remembering that our one green diode, the PLP520-B1, is multimode though the divergence is barely affected by it. Every time it gets posted there's always someone who comments that they didn't know that.

Though I'd only be interested in these if we pushed them to the brink of death and shifted the wavelength. Personal preference for color over power :whistle:

What wavelength do you think it could shift to?? I've heard of Blu-ray diodes hitting close to 415nm so do you think it could get even higher than that? That'd be a hella tight wavelength to see 😍

I would want to see this diode with the same lens compared to the M140. Just saying it is better is not a guarantee that they are. These are high power diodes, unlike the PLP-520-B1. If it isn't compared, don't complain when it diverges as much or more than the M140.

Tough to say. Some diodes like the nubm07E go way, way over the 465nm expected rating when overdriven. Like 476nm range. Other diodes not so much...

And I've heard that too. Id like to get something in the 425-435nm range. It'd be nice to get a murderer fund for one of these to see.

And Paul, reason I say that is because the bdr209s are single mode and some go 1W+

Last edited:
Multimode :( I'd rather PBS combine two single modes at 1.5 watts.

I tried that with mixed results. I combined two 750 mw. It was iffy at best. Some loss becaus the beams were oval shaped and when i crossed them, there seemed to be a 25 percent total loss from the sum of the two.

Tough to say. Some diodes like the nubm07E go way, way over the 465nm expected rating when overdriven. Like 476nm range. Other diodes not so much...

And I've heard that too. Id like to get something in the 425-435nm range. It'd be nice to get a murderer fund for one of these to see.

And Paul, reason I say that is because the bdr209s are single mode and some go 1W+

I have seen threads showing BDR-209s that went over 1 watt, only to find later that they died an early death. I have no idea how much this diode would shift in wavelength, but my S06J didn't shift much at all. Can't remember the specific WL, but ~409nm sounds about right.