Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety - Packages from China - Coronavirus

Shiiru

Hello,
So I’ve ordered a few lasers from sanwu and I was thinking if there is any chance of getting infected by the coronavirus by getting a package from China.
So I decided to ask you all, is it possible to get infected with coronavirus from a package from China?

Matthew488

I contacted them because I'm wanting to order something as well. They replied that they won't be shipping anything until the 10th do to the Coronavirus. Beyond that I have know idea.

Shiiru

I contacted them because I'm wanting to order something as well. They replied that they won't be shipping anything until the 10th do to the Coronavirus. Beyond that I have know idea.
Unfortunately I ordered before they posted the message and I’m really concerned when I think that the package is going to come this month.

I am still dubious that this virus remains viable on dry surfaces for days at a time. Have yet to see any confirmation of this. Just speculation.

Shiiru

Edit: In summary it is coming to light that there is some concern over parcels arriving from infected regions. The risk is low, however it is present.

Okay, I'm really scared about that. My package will be sent at 10th February and arrive 17-24th February. What should I do? Pick it up or not? If yes, how do I disinfect it? Do I need to wear some mask while opening the package?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The chance of the parcel having a live transmittable quantity of nCoV is low. So no panic is necessary. I didn’t intend my reply to cause any anxiety. But do however take caution based on the better safe than sorry attitude. Wear gloves and a mask and clean the package and the contents whilst making sure not to use chemicals that damage the product. Warm soapy water or even better antibacterial wipes will do the job. Any more than that is not necessary at this stage. I will be doing this myself even though I know I have mor me chance of being hit by a motorist right now.

Shiiru

The chance of the parcel having a live transmittable quantity of nCoV is low. So no panic is necessary. I didn’t intend my reply to cause any anxiety. But do however take caution based on the better safe than sorry attitude. Wear gloves and a mask and clean the package and the contents whilst making sure not to use chemicals that damage the product. Warm soapy water or even better antibacterial wipes will do the job. Any more than that is not necessary at this stage. I will be doing this myself even though I know I have mor me chance of being hit by a motorist right now.
Clean the package from outside too or just inside? What if the virus comes out of the package while cleaning and infect later? I don't think my lasers are waterproof so I will use the antibacterial wipes.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
If you was to handle an infected package would want to clean the exterior and carefully remove the packaging. Then procede to clean the contents and dispose of the packaging.
It’s important to stress, the chance is low of this being a true concern. Also, viruses will be on the surface and will not release out on you like some trapped gas when you open the package. Just don’t disturb a surface without a mask and gloves if you don’t trust the package.

Shiiru

If you was to handle an infected package would want to clean the exterior and carefully remove the packaging. Then procede to clean the contents and dispose of the packaging.
So I should pick the package up in a mask? lol

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Lol, my honest opinion is your parcel will be fine. I wouldn’t like to state a probability but it would be very low to receive a parcel you would get ill from.
If you are one with a sense of humour you could always collect the parcel with a mask on and check out peoples reactions when you say the parcel is from China. 😁

Shiiru

Lol, my honest opinion is your parcel will be fine. I wouldn’t like to state a probability but it would be very low to receive a parcel you would get ill from.
If you are one with a sense of humour you could always collect the parcel with a mask on and check out peoples reactions when you say the parcel is from China. 😁
Well, at least a good idea for new youtube vid :D Thanks for help

This is nonsense panic. I have studied viruses in college and getting infected by ANY of them days after a dry surface has been infected just never happens. This kind on nonsense causes much more damage than any possibility of becoming infected by your package.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I did clearly state several times the probability is low. But you can not be sure that is the case with new strains. It definitely can not be ruled out as a possibility. Getting complacent is what causes problems down the line. I agree, this may be overreacting but until I’m 100% by scientific report that this virus cannot be spread this way then I will always advise to be cautious. Diseases have been man-made to spread via packages before now.

Edit: Just done some quick research into it and it appears Paul is right on nCoV from current knowledge. However it still doesn’t mean that being cautious is wrong or dangerous. And saying never is asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Biologic weapons used to infect people are bacterial, not viral. Anthrax is a great example of one of these. Getting people worried about dry parcels being viable vectors of this virus does far more harm than any good. I won't be gloving up and wearing a mask to unpack my Chinese parcels as that is just not reasonable. Won't be trying to disinfect them either.