Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safe Fire Red laser pointer

Those don't put out much light, but they would light up the back end to be a nice glowing red. If you want to throw out some light, try 1, 3 or higher watt output LED's. I guess your limit on the power output of the LED is the battery you use and if you want the LED to stay on for very long, also the size of the heat sink.

Here's a 1 watt red LED I found on ebay you might consider but might need a heat sink. If it needs one it probably won't need to be very big at this power:

5pcs 1W High Power LED Red Light Lamp Bulb Beads 40 50LM 2 0 2 2V 1watt Free P P | eBay

This LED might be the right fit for your project, no heat sink required:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Product...130340?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item43d1690824

Last edited:

weamy

You want to have them shoot each other? Do you want the other toy to melt? In that case fire is 9000000000% safer than using a high powered laser for public display

I really don't want the other toy to melt, the laser beam will only be active for 2-3 seconds.

weamy

Here's a link to a video I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAqlEoQKrU

In the first 5 seconds of the video, you see a green laser.

I want a laser that LOOKS like that but is safe and is red.
I DON'T want a red dot.
The laser I want will only be active for a period of 2 seconds.
Is it possible to get a laser like that?
It also has to be safe for the human eye.

The camera makes the beam look far more powerful at 100 milliwatts of output than it will to your eye, I mean like hugely more powerful. To get one that looks anywhere near close to that bright in real eye viewing (with room lights on), it would need to be much more powerful, I'm thinking a watt or more. Someone chime in if you think I'm being too critical.

Last edited:
In other words, the only way you could make it visible in a lit room without fog, is have an extremely powerful laser that puts eyes out. Far from safe. You would not be able to use a safe laser to make a fire effect. You could still try it and buy a cheap red pointer at Walmart...
But the only thing it will do is make a dim red dot.

Last edited:
Get a plastic or glass tube which will transmit light, drive it with a high power LED and put a solenoid on it to spring out the same time the light comes on, it will be so uber bright they won't see the tube, just a huge output of light coming out the back like fire, have it pop back in before the light goes out.

Many years ago, some toys had these solid plastic tubes which transmitted light so well the whole tube would glow, this was before high power LED's which I am sure would work very well with them. You might also consider a bunch of fiber optic tubes all cut to lay down in a christmas tree like shape and drive those with light inside the car and have it pop out like flames on a small solenoid actuator, if the light is bright enough, you shouldn't see the device as it pops out and back in, just a huge flash of red light like flames. You could also mold some flame-like shape out of clear resin plastic and light it up with a bright red LED and have it pop out and back in.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a video I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAqlEoQKrU

In the first 5 seconds of the video, you see a green laser.

I want a laser that LOOKS like that but is safe and is red.
I DON'T want a red dot.
The laser I want will only be active for a period of 2 seconds.
Is it possible to get a laser like that?
It also has to be safe for the human eye.

No, that is physically impossible. Any
laser that visible in clear air will have
hundreds or thousands of times what is
considered eye safe. StyroPyro is a member
here and he uses fog in almost all his
videos. That video was taken with thick
fog to bring out the beam. Otherwise it
would be very dim, and that is still
nowhere near eye safe.

Fire would be much safer, as it cannot be
reflected off of shiny objects into your
eyes (even black ones you wouldn't think it
would
).

Last edited:

weamy

Thanks for the feedback. I won't use a laser. I'll use Laser Project's idea.
Thanks everybody.