Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

S-KY 808nM 1W

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
looks awesome, bet it performs well too

are most IR lasers overrated in general?
i have heard of people smoking/burning dark objects over 10 meter distances?
somehow i just find that hard to believe.

L

likewhat

Are they overrated. I didnt even know there was a rating system.

For burning things you get way more power for your dollars, that is why any lasers you find in a machine shop are all IR. A non TEM 00 beam will obviously diverge quickly, but if you dont need it to go more than a few feet (like essentially any machining laser) then who cares. Of course some amount of beam quality is necessary depending on what you are doing.

At the same time the output of the laser you are endpumping with a multimode beam will obviously not have a perfect beam output since the region with the highest gain will be identical to the pump diode....

drlava

Switch said:
I was just thinking about that.With one of those 1.5W and a beam expander maybe you could give someone across the street a flat tire.... :p

Now you're thinking with lasers!

On second thought, maybe that's not such a good idea. ;D

Nice videos there, very enjoyable!

I just ordered the Blazer IR Laser (2 watt) laser from BlazeLasers !! Wow - I can't wait until it arrives !

Lorgar

Make sure you get goggles IR wont seem like much but it will still destroy your eyes as fast as any green would

Yep - I'm already prepared. Pseudo included them when I ordered the 500mW 808nm laser from him. The 500Mw is unbelievable. I can't imagine how much more burning capability the 2watt will have.

Lorgar

HEH just tested my 808 on a Kenometer
2344433972_b2d26c0fd3_b.jpg

I come forward as witness... :) I was there. Finally got to meet with Lorgar and test his beast of an IR. What he doesn't say is that before we got the camera out he was getting readings in the 1700s! :eek: I'm sure that when he gets his Kenometer and has fresh batteries that thing will pump out even more. What a monster!

No wonder the thing can decimate a match like that! I for one, was disappointed to learn that the Laserglow beam expanders (Which actually fit the S-KY head perfectly) have incompatible coatings for IR light. So no long-distance burning yet... Moo-ha-ha [smiley=evil.gif]

But those of you with overspec greens should definitely check them out. Popping balloons at 150', who'd of imagined that? Freaky! :cool:

Cheers, CC

Amnizu

Curiously_Coherent said:
But those of you with overspec greens should definitely check them out. Popping balloons at 150', who'd of imagined that? Freaky! :cool:

Cheers, CC

I'm sure it wouldn't fit on my petite little Spartan, but I'd be willing to rig something up so I could use it.

Amnizu said:
I'm sure it wouldn't fit on my petite little Spartan, but I'd be willing to rig something up so I could use it.

It wouldn't be hard to do. If you could machine an aluminum ring to expand the Spartan's diameter to that of a Hercules, you could also drill it out to create a nice heat-sink for the diode/lenses as well. It would also vent any incidental heat created in the 10XDR body itself.

If I had a CNC shop handy, I'd start a GB for adaptors that could fit all the high-powered greens and adapt them for use with the 10XDR. The heat-sink ability would be a nice added bonus. Maybe somebody will seize this opportunity. ;)

Cheers, CC

tomcat

for my cdrw ir rig i use a old crappy 0.8mp camera to both see the dot and shield from eye damage when i get the funds i wilk get me a 2w from blaze i would goto s-ky direct but my engrish is terrible and i cant be bothered to kick them everyday for a good one then i will get glasses

Milos

nice review loarg. That video of burinig match is the real! Puts to shame all other videos that hit the head....

can you elaborate on this :
At infinity the beam is a good 4-8mm and diverges extreamly fast probly a 4-5 mrad very hard to measure when you cant see the beam.

At what distance the dot is 4-8mm?

thanks for the review. I might be into getting one soon.