Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Russian nuclear rocket explosion

kecked

How did they know something was wrong to photo this? No violet flash so I bet this was traditional explosive.

There was a lot of smoke billowing thousands of feet into the air before the explosion, I think they were filming that.

I am not so fond of a yin-yang which has red instead of white, but it is very artful and the black border goes well in this forum.

Anthony P

It was my understanding that it was a nuclear powered missile, not a nuclear armed missile.

Ha, that wasn’t a tank, it was a Ku-Band dish antenna trailer. I never thought it looked anything like that LOL, but if the picture small enough I guess can look like a gun barrel some, the feed boom is pointed up like a tank can, but just a framework for a RF power amplifier mounted at the end.

Last edited:

diachi

It was my understanding that it was a nuclear powered missile, not a nuclear armed missile.

Correct, it was one of these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M730_Burevestnik

There's been some speculation that perhaps the reactor uses NaK for coolant (as other small reactors made by Russia/USSR have done) and that the coolant exploded. Others have suggested that it was the booster which gets the missile up to speed that exploded.

There's a good thread on my Twitter account about it, and we should have an article up on the site fairly soon.

Correct, it was one of these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M730_Burevestnik

There's been some speculation that perhaps the reactor uses NaK for coolant (as other small reactors made by Russia/USSR have done) and that the coolant exploded. Others have suggested that it was the booster which gets the missile up to speed that exploded.

There's a good thread on my Twitter account about it, and we should have an article up on the site fairly soon.
Unfortunately It's near Finland 😢

diachi

Unfortunately It's near Finland 😢

So far it doesn't look as though there was too much radiation released, so while Finland is relatively close I doubt it'll be an issue for you guys, thankfully. Might not want to be in one of the nearby towns though...

So far it doesn't look as though there was too much radiation released, so while Finland is relatively close I doubt it'll be an issue for you guys, thankfully. Might not want to be in one of the nearby towns though...
Yep, I don't think it's huge issue over here but honestly it's a bit scary to know there is missiles near by border :confused: