Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Round 2: Argon help!

Hey guys,

So I've been working on my argon laser for a while now... But I've hit a wall again... I've checked out everything that people have suggested in the comments of my other thread... So I thought I would make a video which will hopefully make finding a problem easier.

Laser physics reliant 50S-488

If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know here!

Thanks
-Adrian

Last edited:

these are fine little argons. I don't have a lot of knowledge about the innards but i have one of these. if i could help with any voltage readings or something pm me

Beautiful! Well I was wondering if you could firstly take a pic of where the interface board meets the main board... I want to check if I have all the connections and jumpers in the right place.

Also does your tube start first click? If not... does it diminish like it does in the video for me?

Things

Hmm, sounds like you're not getting any heater voltage or even tube voltage, as usually the starting clicks would be a lot louder, indicating it is striking the tube. Switchmode power supplies are a pain in the ass when it comes to troubleshooting, especially if you don't even have a schematic (And I'm pretty sure it's a 4 layer board).

When you first turn the unit on, do you hear a relay click shortly after?

Yup.. then once I bridge the connector for the keyswitch a second relay clicks on too

PM LASERFAQ if you have time. He might know where to begin making tests around the tube. Ask for a service manual for the off chance he knows where to get one.

Things

Unfortunately Steve hasn't been able to get hold of a manual for these lasers, however he may have a lead if he sees your video, as he'll know what's missing :)

Well today I hooked up a fan and a small light globe to the output that goes to the heater... and nothing, no signs of life.

I did how ever figure out that both outputs are sitting at 240V above earth (laser chassis). Is it possible that there may be a earthing issue? Maybe there is a differential of 3V between both against earth?

Fiddy

can you trace back where the voltage comes from? i.e. a step down transformer and rectifier?