Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rkcstr driver help

ok thanks i have ordered some heatsinks. so on the screen it should read around 50 or 300.
cheers after this build i will no longer "anoy you"
cheers
Screen should either read 50mV on 1ohm resistor in the test load, or 50mA when connected directly to driver output, or measuring current draw from battery.

I know you are trying to get into the hobby, and building and all,
But all this info is right there!
All the stickies in Newcomers section covers this I think.

But alright, as long as you get it, it does not matter :D

ok on my multimeter under the A- heading i turned the dial to 200m and turned the pot. it now reads 49.9. have i suceeded.
cheers

Kevlar

somewhat. I believe that comes out to around 400mA. Can anyone confirm this? Eudaimonium?

so this is what i need isnt it? can someone confirm that it is.
cheers

Last edited:

Kevlar

that is 49.9mA if I'm reading that right.

Man I was up too late. It looks like your reading it right it just I'm confused on how he is getting this reading. Since he doesn't have a test load with a 1 ohm resistor I was trying to explain how to calculate the current using the "thru-points" on the driver which measures resistance then has to be calculated to current.

Greenlaser, when you got this reading were you measuring by the "thru-points" or the driver's outputs?

In order to do it with this method, the driver doesn't need to be powered and your DMM must be set to measure Ohm's, you can put it on the 200 setting. Divide 1.25 by that resistance to get your output current setting
in A (multiply by 1000 to get mA).

The rckstr driver only goes up to about 440mA max and as low as ~55mA.

You know, if you don't want to make a test load you can purchase one from rcktstr. Using a test load is the best way. IMHO

i'm still not clear if you are or aren't using a test load? and about your battery question you could use 6v. but make sure they have a decent mah rating. do not use the rectagle type 9v.

michael

ok kEVLAR i put it on 200 with no battery and placed the probes on the resistance pads it read around 14???
cheers

ok kEVLAR i put it on 200 with no battery and placed the probes on the resistance pads it read around 14???
cheers
Unbelievable.

Every time I type a huge novel that pass for post, my internet decides that it's good time to play around with my nerves...

Okay,
To make it short.
Use 2x li-ion for linear driver. 2x 10440 and a spacer in 3xAAA holder will power anything.

Second, you must apply power to the driver, and then measure the output current.

You do not measure the resistance, there is no point. Reading are incorrect because there are other components connected to the resistor,
Reading the Ohms only work when you have resistor, and only a resistor alone.

Just apply power the the driver, set your DMM to 10A mode, and touch output pads of the driver. Read and set current accordingly.

ok thank you so much. i am going to aim around 55-60 am i not.
cheers m8 you have been soo helpful

ok thank you so much. i am going to aim around 55-60 am i not.
cheers m8 you have been soo helpful
For 55 mA, just set the highest resistance possible, that is, lowest current possible.
IIRC, RKCSTR has lowest output at 55mA.

Anyhow, to test that, use 200mA mode on DMM.
Use 10A for anything above 100mA, just to make sure you do not fry your DMM.

how c ome my driver doesnt read anything now???? SH*T have i broken it
If you maybe show us some pictures of your setup, we would be able to help you...

This is like calling a doctor over the phone and asking "What's wrong with me".

Common sense response:"How the hell should I know?"
So, how the hell should I know?

:D :crackup:

Seriously, man. Snap a photo and show us.

ok i will snap some pics tomorrow when i get the camera. what do u think is wrong if i cant measure any Ma any more. i connect the DMM to the output pads then put around 9v into it and nothing reads?
cheers
p.s i will have some pics tomorrow.

ok i will snap some pics tomorrow when i get the camera. what do u think is wrong if i cant measure any Ma any more. i connect the DMM to the output pads then put around 9v into it and nothing reads?
cheers
p.s i will have some pics tomorrow.
Blown fuse in DMM, wrong socketing of probes, empty battery, bad probe,
Can be anything.

Pic can tell us more, to see if you are measuring it correctly.

ok i have just made my own ddl driver yay. i am also making a test load. yay. but i cannot get a 1 ohm resistor. and cant buy one. do i need it? what could i sub it for? the lowest i have is 10 ohm.
cheers