Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGY Scanner Project, So Far...

Got some info on the box I am building into. It has been powder coated and the base section painted cream and the top section painted a dark grey...

Thats defiantly going to need a repaint, so is it ok to paint straight onto aluminum thats been powder coated and painted?

you probably need to -

white spirit
wash with normal water
dry
prime
spray colour

Looks great! I've been meaning to build one for a long time. I can build the laser modules myself, the main thing for me would be the galvos and amps. I have plans for motor control and I know I can deal with the optics.
Thing is I have to save up to be able to afford the dichro + mount ($80) and galvos ($200).
Once I have that covered I'll be building mine into a 2U rackmount case.

BlueFusion said:
Looks great! I've been meaning to build one for a long time. I can build the laser modules myself, the main thing for me would be the galvos and amps. I have plans for motor control and I know I can deal with the optics.
Thing is I have to save up to be able to afford the dichro + mount ($80) and galvos ($200).
Once I have that covered I'll be building mine into a 2U rackmount case.

Do what I have done... The galvos, amp, power supply etc. are the 12k scanner kit from chinese dept store. I have bought the lasers myself and got the dichro from ebay for £10 and I am using andy's home made mount.

I looked at that but I didn't like the degree of engrish. If you can point out power and +-5V X and Y inputs on the scanner amp board then I'll get it.
Can you please actually cos I'd love to save the money.
Thing is my interface is gonna be a USB input output board with analog outputs. I don't need to touch the supplied controller. :p

But my mind is made up on the dichro. I'm getting the one from mliptack's GB. No other mount would have 4 threads per millimetre... I could easily make one myself, but it would NOT be that precise.

BlueFusion said:
I looked at that but I didn't like the degree of engrish. If you can point out power and +-5V X and Y inputs on the scanner amp board then I'll get it.
Can you please actually cos I'd love to save the money.
Thing is my interface is gonna be a USB input output board with analog outputs. I don't need to touch the supplied controller. :p

But my mind is made up on the dichro. I'm getting the one from mliptack's GB. No other mount would have 4 threads per millimetre... I could easily make one myself, but it would NOT be that precise.

I am not actually sure about the power supply, I am using the connections on the far right of the PSU so I can power it via mains. As for the X and Y inputs on the amp, its actually really easy, just connect the cables from the galvos to the amp... If the pattern comes out backwards then you have connected them wrong.

First time you turn it on, assuming you havent changed the DMX switches, it will display a welcome message. If you connected it up wrong then the welcome message comes up ar a right angle and the words backwards.

Yea, I've been wanting to build a laser scanner for a LOOONG time... just one problem... Im a complete NEW00B when it comes to laser scanners... I figured all you need it a couple lasers, dichro, galvanometer, and some other parts?

I thought I saw a DIY laser scanner kit on one members webpage... I donno, I'll have to go my research.

EDIT:

here it is:
http://www.diylasershow.com/catalog/index.php
i think its mlitpack's webpage

amkdeath said:
Yea, I've been wanting to build a laser scanner for a LOOONG time... just one problem... Im a complete NEW00B when it comes to laser scanners... I figured all you need it a couple lasers, dichro, galvanometer, and some other parts?

I thought I saw a DIY laser scanner kit on one members webpage... I donno, I'll have to go my research.

EDIT:

here it is:
http://www.diylasershow.com/catalog/index.php
i think its mlitpack's webpage

I cant get to the page with the kit yet, but I got mine from Chinese dept. store. Everything is done for you, all you need to do is connect a few wires, connect it to a power source and point a laser at the galvos. I hear people saying to get it from the laser show parts site but I dont see any difference between the sites other than descriptions.

The kit sets you back around £80 but remember you still need to buy the lasers, housing, heat sinking, cooling etc.

Thing is I'm not gonna be using DMX. I was not talking about XY out to the scanners, I was talking about XY in to the amp. I am eventually gonna build one that will be 20kpps, 400mw RGY (100g 300r) and entirely computer controlled by my own software.

Ok, its been some time but I finally got around to ordering an aluminum sheet that I will be mounting the parts on. Next step is to mark out where the parts are going and fix them down.

Attachments

• S7300556.JPG
    S7300556.JPG
    387.6 KB · Views: 92

Things

Oooohhh shiny! ;) I have considered buying Glavo's from CDS, but i am kinda worried about the shipping and quality of the galvo's. Andy, got any reviews of the CDS galvos i could take a look at?

Things said:
Oooohhh shiny! ;) I have considered buying Glavo's from CDS, but i am kinda worried about the shipping and quality of the galvo's. Andy, got any reviews of the CDS galvos i could take a look at?

As I said before I got a kit from CDS, I have never had a problem with it. They are sold on there as 10k scanner kit but the galvos are actually 12k according to Laser Parts.

Will be fixing down parts at the weekend :)

andy_con said:
get some thermal paste from maplin, £3 a tube

Will do eventually lol.

All I have at the moment is aluminum housing, aluminum sheet, one 5cm fan and the heat sinks already built onto the lasers and power supply's. I am hoping that will work quite well.

but how are you going to transfer the heat from the laser etc to the alum board??