Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGV Adjustable Sled Mount Heat Sinks - Feeler

In the link below I have changed the optical cube in the sled with a dicro found in an old walkman.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/l...32895-7-colour-pocket-spiro-5.html#post537587

I'm sure a dicro could be found in other sleds as well that would work better than the cube also. I have about 20-30 dicro's laying around and another 20-30 in sleds yet to be harvested. I will test some of the others I've got and see what I can come up with. I suggest looking through some old optical devices, maybe you'll strike gold!

You guys are silly now. The optics in the sled are FINE and you can't complain at the price either. :thinking:

Two dichros for $20 is not a worthy replacement imo.

You guys are silly now. The optics in the sled are FINE and you can't complain at the price either. :thinking:

I do agree that the PHR optics are fine if fine is what your looking for.
I don't find it silly at all though. It is interesting and fun to learn what works best.

I payed $140 for my 8x blu-ray that is in there so an extra $20 for 12% less loss is worth it to me. Even more worth it if harvested from empty sleds.

sadly I am not finding a harvested Dichroic mirror that transmits red or blu-ray well and reflects the other. I am testing them at a 45 degree angle and not liking what I see. The reflections are great for the correct color but transmitions take an obviouse loss.

At least with Dichroic mirrors you can choose where you take your losses or pay for ones that are engineered to transmit better. As far as harvested ones go I think Green is an easy choice to take a loss and depending on the power of what you have you can choose what will balance best.

-Ryan

Eku

These they are.

The sled optics kill 60 percent of the green, 40 percent of the red and 20 percent of the blueray.

Were as these will only lose 10% of rgv.

Eku

I do agree that the PHR optics are fine if fine is what your looking for.
I don't find it silly at all though. It is interesting and fun to learn what works best.

I payed $140 for my 8x blu-ray that is in there so an extra $20 for 12% less loss is worth it to me. Even more worth it if harvested from empty sleds.

sadly I am not finding a harvested Dichroic mirror that transmits red or blu-ray well and reflects the other. I am testing them at a 45 degree angle and not liking what I see. The reflections are great for the correct color but transmitions take an obviouse loss.

At least with Dichroic mirrors you can choose where you take your losses or pay for ones that are engineered to transmit better. As far as harvested ones go I think Green is an easy choice to take a loss and depending on the power of what you have you can choose what will balance best.

-Ryan

I agree, the sled optics are ok but I'd much rather have 500 in and >400 white out then 500 in and 180 white out.

Pm me if you want to know where to get them.

Im working on replacing the cube with a dichro

Im working on replacing the cube with a dichro, we will see if the phr sled will still hold together once I have machined a slot to place the dichro. Also if i don't get it mounted straight I will not get the beams aligned. I just got my dichro from laser wave today so I'll give it a shot.

I had bad news and good news this weekend. I dropped down to the states for Fathers day and at the same time I tried to coordinate the delivery of a few LPC sleds so I can finish my 8x RGV project. Bad news is that the sleds didn't arrive over the weekend.

The good news is what I found for an alternative. The BDR-203BKS comes with a tiny little 4.2mm open can red diode that I forgot about. Anyway I build one of my 1" heat sinks with a press fitting for the little thing. I wish I had a meter because it is giving me quite a bit of light when running it at 300ma. I’m thinking it can be pushed beyond 300ma but for now I’m leaving it there.

If anyone out there has one of these little gems and a LPM let me know. I will make a 4mm press fit heat sink with a 9mm .5 threaded lens mount so you can test what it can do. The only catch is that you have to test it till failure so we know it's instant death zone.

Thanks,

Ryan

Eku

I'd test that red diode Im going to make 8x RGV in september though by then it would of already been tested.

But yea I'm making a 8x rgv too, problem is it's on my to get cash for to do list.

Xer0

Hmm... but with this effort, to build 3-axis adjustable heatsinks and so on, who needs the sled anymore? Creat a Case where you mount the Diodes in and line up the extracted PB's Cubes to them. Should come out even more compact and stable!

Setting up the diodes directly across from one another and the greenie 90 to those seems to me to be the best way to save more space (length wise).

I would choose 2 Dichros over PBSs from what I have seen... I may be missing something but I think You would take great losses with two PBSs because one of your combined beams from the first mix would have the wrong polarity going into the second PBS cube.

Is there PBS cubes that will reflect on a polarity coming from one direction and transmit that same polarity coming from the other direction? I don't think there is.

Anyway making it all from scratch is a good idea...One thing at a time though.

-Ryan

Last edited:
Using two PBS cubes will not work. You can only combine beams with a PBS once, then you have to switch to dichro's. Just learn how a PBS works and you will know why, I can't explain well but I looked around and quickly this info.
I am working on a dichro mod for the PHR sled, Starting from scratch is way more effort then needed when you have this nice layout all ready there. It sounds easy but doing it is a whole different story. I should have my dichro mod done by next week and I will post pics. Im cutting a slot where the PBS cube is to place the dichro there instead. This is hard becuase my dichro .04 thick and cutting a slot that small is time consuming. Also It must be properly aligned or the beams won't combine correctly.

It is best explained with a pic
pbs1.gif

quick pick

I snagged this from another thread. The next PBS can only pass or reflect one of the polarized beams comming from the first so unless there is another type of PBS that will allow the combining of lasers on the same polarity bepending on the side of the cube you are aimed at, 2 PBS cubes are not an option.

Misterwilling, Does your shop do any casting? It may be a worth wile pursute to build our own, make a mold and then cast them.

Thanks,

Ryan

No we don't do any casting, we do machine a lot of parts that are meant to be cast. But that's it.
I am going to be just building mine project as a one time thing, you all ready came up with a good solution for the hobbyist with no access to machines to have a seven colored laser. I don't think I could come up with anything better. I'm sticking to building a fully machined host that can be customized. Coming along great so far.

Yes and I have honed some new skills with my new equipment. Your mounts are built and ready for shipping.

I am ready for production of these. but I want to wait for your hands on feedback before doing that.

When they are fully ready and endoursed I will post a new thread as this is no longer a "Feeler".

My plan is to have atleast two kits that will include the sled with them. This is so I can thread the apatures for the mounting bolts and align the mirror if requested. I will also have different "Plug and Play" versions that have everything already done for you in a smaller version of that awsome clear case you used on your first one.

Let me know when you get the kit and how you like it.

Thanks,

Ryan