Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB2X_ White Lightning

I will pay for four modules if you can coaxially combine all four of them into a single output, or close to coaxial if knife edging can provide a nice beam.

Edit: I would prefer the output have beam expansion to 30mm or more for the single mode diodes, if that can be done while maintaining the beam alignments to make the output appear to be white, at least, to the eye while doing a night beam shot.

Holy Shit Batman !!! Combining two (2) RGB units will be a challenge....Combining Four (4) Nope.....I'm out !!!

And...If I understand correctly Chris...you also want the output of all four modules...centered into the build....so that a Beam Expander can be used....YIKES.....:cryyy::cryyy::cryyy: My hair is on fire !!!!

We might as well shift to the Multimode unit @ 4W that Opt Lasers offers.

Mateusz.....Thank you for joining our project !!! I would luv to see what concept you have for combining four (4) modules....into one beam !!!! ??????:drool::drool::drool::drool:

SLG....yes....as I said.....I am sure Mateusz and his company are the real deal....and....are experts at optics !!! Let us learn from their experience....and I am very grateful for his help !!!!:san::san:

CDBEAM

Is two units of three diodes the practical limit to make a nice beam?

(I edited out suggesting eight units, my bad, just a joke).

Last edited:
Is two units of three diodes the practical limit to make a nice beam?

(I edited out suggesting eight units, my bad, just a joke).

I am not sure just what the limit is ???? SO....IF...a big IF....one where to try to combine four (4) RGB single mode units.......

I speculate that we could first combine two (2) units...with the Knife Edging process....then....

Combine each dual set....via a BBar PBS cube....what a build that would be...but....the cost !!!! wow.....the RGB units alone will be $ 1600 USD !!

Then ....add all the other components, CAD costs, Machining set-up costs, Machining time, Optics, Mounts, and misc !!!!

And what would we get....to produce about 1.5W.....out the front door after optics with a Quad RGB ;

* An Alignment Nightmare...to achieve and maintain.

* A substantial size and weight !!!

* A current hungry unit....with likely limited run time.

* A major dent in the wallet !!!

Naaaaa.....I does not make sense !!!

I say....Pop for the Opt Lasers 4W multimode unit....Divergence is...well OK...and likely be satisfied with about 3X the power...smaller footprint........and likely less cost.

For me....the practical limit is a dual RGB !!!....or....go for the Opt Lasers Multimode unit !!:drool::drool:

See =====> http://optlasers.com/en/diode-fiber-rgb-modules/82-4w-rgb-laser-module-5902693110507.html

115mm x 85mm wide
1.8mRad
Cost @ $ 1100 bucks

CDBEAM

Addendum Note One:

I dunno !!!! I am rethinking all the options !!! You all know me and my desire for nice tight beams !!!!
I am really tempted by the idea of the dual RGB !!! Those little modules....well....for starters....they are ultra small, very tight beams, not too expensive...combinable.....and best of all....ready to use outa the box !!!! That is he real temptation !!!

Addendum Note Two:

Also....the specs on Opt Lasers drivers.....
http://optlasers.com/en/lite-drivers/66-0-5a-lite-lpldd-590269311000.html
OK...input voltage requirements....... @ 3.3 to 12 VDC !!!!!.....(Nice Drivers !!!!!)

SO....No need for 12VDC for the LiPo cells......This changes the build !!! What to use as a host now ??????????? Many more possibilities !!!!

Maybe this !!!!! I used this host on the Tridentis build....Good quality !!! Reasonable cost !!! 60mm in dia===> good for all the RGB units and the combining optics !!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRAY-10-x...312240?hash=item4d46faa170:g:U7oAAOSwJb9WsFUQ

Last edited:
If you can machine the end of the barrel to accept a beam expander to match the diameter of the tube the units are mounted inside, I'd commission that.

Remember that when you power the driver from 3,3V you can use only red diodes, blue and green diodes need higher voltage :)

If 7,5 VDC is the minimum voltage required for R,G,B we will not have a problem when using two 3.7 to 4.2 VDC Li-ion batteries in series to produce 7.4 to 8.4 VDC, almost 7.5 VDC when discharged, so no problem.

Mateusz, can you make a special unit combining two of these 3 RGB diode units which CDBEAM can more easily work with to put inside a host for me? For that kind of work you need a minimum order of five, correct?

Last edited:
Well....This is iteration # 10 and a first attempt at a concept render. See attached pic HBERGB-V10.

As far as I can determine, the WL unit will require a OD of 82.55 mm ( 3.25")to fit the dual modules RGB1 and RGB 2. We just cannot go any less diameter due the size of the RGB units !

The drawing shown has the connecting bulkhead machined to fit into the SkyRay Host. The double step downs accommodate the host internal dimensions.

The common bulkhead....to which each module is attached is 8mm in thickness ( currently). If I go with more thickness in this cross section, we will have to increase the overall diameter to 88.9mm ( 3.5") Not sure about this yet ??

Now...the Beam Off-Sets - Vertical Off-set @ 22.5mm below the centre line and the Lateral Off-Set @ 10mm to the left of centre line. Again, these dimensions are driven by the footprint of the modules and the combining optics !!

Due to the geometry of combined modules, we cannot have the combined beam path aligned with the Host centre line. That is just the way it is !!

We couild still add a Beam Expander socket to the forward bulkhead....but of course, the optical axis of the BE would need to be directly in alignment with the A/B propagation path. I also worry about achieving perfect BE alignment in such a build. Then again, I see no need for a BE on this build....as the single mode LD's will already have excellent low divergence !!

Well...there ya have it.....a first attempt at a design that will use those beautiful Opt Lasers RGB units.

CDBEAM :san::san::san:

Attachments

• HBERGB-V10.JPG
    HBERGB-V10.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 82
i will take it, be happy with it if you will build for me, but I am also going to try to figure out how to get a future build put together where everything is center line, maybe using a large PCX lens for the expansion, up to six inches diameter, and then there is plenty of room to move the modules around inside to produce axial output.

Depnading on what combination do you need. If combination just need to join two existing modules then it is not a problem. You know all the dimensions etc so I think you must decide about the host. We do not produce any hosts for handheld or other lasers. We can mill it if course for additional payment.

OK....I will proceed using this reasonable priced host....that I have worked with B4 !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRAY-10-x...312240?hash=item4d46faa170:g:U7oAAOSwJb9WsFUQ

The HBERGB unit must be milled from one solid bar stock of Aluminum. Only in that way can we have a solid relationship between the end bulkheads and the common bulkhead ( Which the RGB units are fixed to).

And...Finally....I have a small concern regarding the space demanded for the driver unit.
RB/Matesuz....what is the LHW dimension of this triple driver combination ??.
As typical...I have some work around's in mind depending on the space needed.

As usual....there are many details remaining. Pass the popcorn !!

Thanx for your encouragement !!

CDBEAM

Last edited:
What is the battery configuration with the Skyray? All four batteries in parallel to produce 4.2VDC?

I like the project ;)

Well....This is iteration # 10 and a first attempt at a concept render. See attached pic HBERGB-V10.

As far as I can determine, the WL unit will require a OD of 82.55 mm ( 3.25")to fit the dual modules RGB1 and RGB 2. We just cannot go any less diameter due the size of the RGB units !

The drawing shown has the connecting bulkhead machined to fit into the SkyRay Host. The double step downs accommodate the host internal dimensions.

The common bulkhead....to which each module is attached is 8mm in thickness ( currently). If I go with more thickness in this cross section, we will have to increase the overall diameter to 88.9mm ( 3.5") Not sure about this yet ??

Now...the Beam Off-Sets - Vertical Off-set @ 22.5mm below the centre line and the Lateral Off-Set @ 10mm to the left of centre line. Again, these dimensions are driven by the footprint of the modules and the combining optics !!

Due to the geometry of combined modules, we cannot have the combined beam path aligned with the Host centre line. That is just the way it is !!

We couild still add a Beam Expander socket to the forward bulkhead....but of course, the optical axis of the BE would need to be directly in alignment with the A/B propagation path. I also worry about achieving perfect BE alignment in such a build. Then again, I see no need for a BE on this build....as the single mode LD's will already have excellent low divergence !!

Well...there ya have it.....a first attempt at a design that will use those beautiful Opt Lasers RGB units.

CDBEAM :san::san::san:

Chris...Battery config. with SkyRay....Originally...yes...four (4) parallel LiPo 18650 cells to yield 4.2 VDC. After battery compartment modification ====> 2 + 2....giving 8.4 VDC....which is what we need.

OK...got the driver dimensions...thanx...still working out the details.....not 100 % sure...but I think...all three (3) drivers will fit in the Switch Compartment...not sure...the long way....or the short way ??? Very tight in this area !

I have a SkyRay 6000 ready for use as a host.....so....will do some figur'in tonight !!

Thanx for the support....I assume my HBERGB-V10 drawing explains the beam path ??

AND...See attached: White Lightning General Arrangement concept drawing...WLGA-V3...Note...works in progress !!!@

Beam Out

Attachments

• WLGA-V4.JPG
    WLGA-V4.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
OK....See updated General Arrangement drawing WLGA-V5. I previously noted that this is a works in progress....and it is !

In closer study of the Opt Lasers RGB driver dimensions......At 61mm long by 21mm wide by 15mm tall.....and the fact that two (2) driver units are demanded....I have decided....that there is no where near enough room to entomb the driver electronics within the host switch cavity !! No way !!

SO...Why not just have the drivers mounted just behind the RGB units !!! We have plenty of width here. Mount one driver atop the common bulkhead....and the other driver under the common bulkhead.

This will increase the overall length of the HBERGB unit..by 30.4mm...now coming in at 128.9mm in length...but....this is just the way it must be !!!....especially considering the driver unit width at 61mm !!!

It is much easier to move things around in CAD...vs during the build....and there will likely be additional adaptations required. I will build at least two (2) units....in 2017.

CDBEAM

Attachments

• WLGA-V5.JPG
    WLGA-V5.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited: