Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB White Laser Module with TTL

I am about to purchase the RGB White Laser Module with TTL
from the LPS.

I am a little confused how to activate the individual colors. Is it just a matter of applying a dc voltage of 5 volts to the input for the particular color on the board?

I have a number of lasers but have not had experience with the way TTL logic works in relation to the multi colored lasers.

John

Benm

It would help to have some more information on this laser.

Generally TTL means 5v = on and 0v = off, with a switchpoint in between that may be lower for turning off than for turning on (schmitt-trigger). Typically it would turn on once you go over 2/3rd of the supply voltage, and stay on until you go under 1/3rd. This prevents flickering on and off when around the midpoint.

I would really opt to go for an analog power control though, with TTL you can only make 7 colors.

OK, That is what I thought may be the case 5v = on and 0v = off. Thanks for the clarification.

This is the unit I was looking at: https://laserpointerstore.com/laser-modules

However, I will have a look at analog power control to get a greater range in colors. Any suggestions where they can be purchased?

Gazen

I believe that these rgb units used to be sold by laserland at a cheaper price. Not sure if they're for sale anymore.

Last edited:
If it is the laser I think it is, you'd be better off buying it from LaserLand.com. They built these 300 mW RGB lasers and all you need to do to turn the individual laser off is put a shunt in the two pin TTL port for that color. The laser runs off +12 volts DC so you can use a wall wart to power it if you solder the cut end off the wall wart and connect the red wire to the positive terminal and the black to the negative one. I believe you can still get them there for ~$50.00. I have one and I built a PWM controller for another member here to control the colors individually.

He bought the one from LPS and it had a problem in the driver where the TTL didn't work properly. It is cheaper at LaserLand as they are the original maker of all of these lasers. He bought one from them and it worked. Also, if you just connect the +12 volts to the power input, all three colors will come on at maximum intensity without adding anything else to it.

Last edited:
Actually, that one is a bit better as it uses all direct diodes. The one I have uses a 532nm DPSS laser for green. The driver looks similar, so it ought to work the same. Keep it wrapped up when not in use as you don't want anything to contaminate your optics and this one doesn't have an enclosure as mine does. Do you know about the little shunts you can use with header pins? Get three of them to use as a way to turn off individual lasers by pushing one over the two TTL pins for each color.

OK, that's great, thanks for your advice. Yes, I will get the shunts for the header pins.

OK, thanks for the info on the link to the analog Module. I will stick with the with the RGB TTL at this stage.

OK, thanks for the info on the link to the analog Module. I will stick with the with the RGB TTL at this stage.

Also if your TTL modulation is fast enough, it can make "illusion" of greater range of colors.

I think these RGB lasers will take up to 35 KHz modulation with the PWMs. That is plenty fast enough. I built three at 2.4 KHz and they worked very well at a much lower frequency.

Paul,

Sounds good. Where can I find some DIY build examples or video with the RGB module?

Sorry, John. I never posted any. I built one for cyberdoc to use with his RGB lasers from LaserLand. I haven't even gotten around to building one for myself yet. It turned out to be more effort than I wanted to do as I designed and built mine from scratch.