Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB+CV Laser

It's nothing electrical. Those are levers that reach out to screws for fine adjustment of the beam alignment. One screw for horizontal and one for vertical adjustment. At first I thought I could get away with just gluing and patience, but that led nowhere. I thought for a long time and made that solution with the levers. I wonder if there is another way, but this works well.

I was so lost in understanding, appreciate the update to what you had done, I was wondering how you could adjust and thought those were electrical for some reason, but of course, they didn't wire further :p

I found this post saying that the G3 has focal length of 8mm, same as G8, so the narrower beam is because of the the smaller physical aperture and lens diameter, so it clips the output. I will not use G3 because of this. Now it will be G2 or some other lens.

Why can't all this info be listed for every lens DTR sells? Also where is DTR?

Needing to pay express shipping and importing fees stings a bit when the parts don't even work. I'll wait until monday and then will just order G2 lenses and hope that they do work. Meanwhile I wait for Aug to answer with real measurements, or anyone else to suggest a fitting lens for this project. A post on the updated circuit may be come tomorrow.

New updated circuit. The schematic looks busy so I boxed in each section and put in some notes:
View attachment rgbcv laser schematic - notes.png

Video of one Rainbow color cycle.

With the built in RGB controller, and with the help of the double AND-gate, the cyan and violet mimic the weaker of its two inputs.
So if green is at 100% brightness and blue is at 50%, then cyan will be on at 50%.
And if green is at 50% brightness and blue is at 100%, then cyan will be on at 50%.
Or if green is at 25% brightness and blue is at 25%, then cyan will be on at 25%, and so on.

(If yellow laser diodes were thing, then this circuit can easily accommodate that as well, for a 6 color channel laser.)

The color gamut looks something like this:
rgbcv5.png
The brown line encompass all possible colors by this laser. The orange is with just RGB. And the yellow approximates what the built in RGB controller can do.

The aux port bypasses the AND-gates and give direct control of each driver. So I may use an Arduino or whatever to make any possible color combination.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:
WOW
Great pics-- more please!
I know very little about the status of DTR.
I 'think' he lost a dog. (as in it died)
and There were some other things he needed to do.
He has been a super friend to me AND the forum-he will be back.
We need to give him a break.
At least we have Augi to fullfill orders.
& he is doing his best.

Rather dwell on what DTR is NOT doing ATM we should appreciate all he has done. I am sure he will be back with us asap.

best wishes Jordan

hak

GREAT to have you back...Did you notice that Dave (daguin) has retired?? we miss him IMO.
AND some have passed like Pirsquare and Greenmechanic. sad.

I got G2 lenses now and I'm happy with them, very tight aperture beam and the divergence is not bad IMO. The red and the highest and the violet lowest, and the rest in between. I adjusted all to match the red, and it's about the same size spot as I had before. Single mode diodes are very nice to work with.

15.jpg

All housings gets a flat spot so they have large patch for thermal transfer, and I use thermal paste to the heatsink. The diodes are pressed into the housing with the correct optical polarity to work with the PBS cube.
14.jpg

I had to make some changes from the original plan, and it all just barely fits
17.jpg

First run with all diodes set to 125mA. Near field beam alignment is very good. Far field put the beams in tight cluster, not all overlapping. I need to make some fine adjustment setup like I had before, but I'm unsure about the little space I got. I will try and see what I end up with.
This is very pretty so far though. And the matches in the background show that this thing got some power. Even without pinpoint focus and somewhat idle current, it is able to light matches in a few seconds.
18.jpg

The laser is compete and I've been waiting for some foggy weather, but I'm not having such luck. Here are some pictures:

rgbcv final (1).jpg

Each combing optic has two adjustment screws for horizontal and vertical alignment. I'm using a drop of mild strength thread lock to make the adjustment smoother.
rgbcv final (2).jpg

rgbcv final (3).jpg

rgbcv final (4).jpg

I found a more efficient cyan+violet dichroic mirror in a BDR-209 sled, which also required those lasers to swap places.
rgbcv final (5b).jpg

rgbcv final (6).jpg

rgbcv final (7).jpg

Proof of 5 wavelengths. How many portable lasers can do this? 🤔
rgbcv final (8).jpg

rgbcv final (9).jpg

rgbcv final (10).jpg

Last edited:
More:
rgbcv final (11).jpg

rgbcv final (12).jpg

Classic "Time Tunnel" attachment.
rgbcv final (13).jpg

rgbcv final (14).jpg

rgbcv final (15).jpg

rgbcv final (16).jpg

rgbcv final (17).jpg

Lumia effects.
rgbcv final (18).jpg

rgbcv final (19).jpg

rgbcv final (20).jpg

This laser is very powerful, and I have to be careful where the beam ends. I estimate the total power to be about 1W (tuned to cool white), but it has a much tighter beam at a distance compared to the typical multi mode lasers at this power level.

If yellow laser diodes ever come, then this will be updated for 6 wavelengths.

Last edited: