Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: Reke 500RGB (laserius projectorus-cheapus)

I thought i could give some contribution to this great forum, so here it is:
This is my review of the REKE 500RGB and the RUBY L86
Doc

I added your video to the OP, I hope you don't mind.

Thanks for the measurements and a good comparison of the two projectors. I wanted them to see if the back-board of the Reke could work with the Ruby.

Dino Direct is supposedly going to give me a $90 gift card for my troubles. I guess it's better than shipping it back or not having a replacement case delivered. Man does DD have a shit selection of stuff. Who the hell would buy a wedding dress of all things from a site like that? They have no good parts, no good lasers. The shipping is horrendous for projectors, so it would mean I'd have to pay $90 more to use the card on the cheapest ILDA-equipped one they have.

If you need the back measurements I can get them when I get home if it helps.

You could try and add a cheap ILDA show card to it... At least it has decent galvos... One of these days I will get a fancy set of galvos for mine... I am happy with the power output, it's already bright enough for home use. Analog would be nice but the galvos make the biggest diff.

Or you could wire in directly to the galvos and stuff...but yeah I doubt I will bother ordering anything from them...

Looks like yours and mine are travelling together:wave:

I hope we both receive choice units! I wonder why your projector went all the way from New York to San Francisco?

Projectors like traveling in packs :p and no one will ever be able to explain what the USPS is doing.

On a more positive note, I have e-mailed Reke to ask if they would be interested in a group buy on their projectors if I were to run one; either the 500RGB or the 1000RGB if they can get me a decent price on it... I will keep everyone informed if we work something out :)

Projectors like traveling in packs :p and no one will ever be able to explain what the USPS is doing.

:crackup:This morning it's in San Francisco and at noon it's at my son's door where we are staying in Illinois helping family.

They dropped it off from the SR-71 Blackbird "special delivery".:yh:

Go Figure:thinking:

A few hours to thaw out and I'll open it up!

:crackup:This morning it's in San Francisco and at noon it's at my son's door where we are staying in Illinois helping family.

They dropped it off from the SR-71 Blackbird "special delivery".:yh:

Go Figure:thinking:

A few hours to thaw out and I'll open it up!

Heh figures... Well good to hear you got it!

It seems to be working fine as well:beer:

Wish I had more time to monkey around with it today, but I don't. I plugged it in and it ran through the demo fine.

I need the doohickey's & software now to get into programming:yh:

I'll open it up tomorrow and check for any carnage. Hopefully I won't find anything loose or broken.

It seems to be working fine as well:beer:

Wish I had more time to monkey around with it today, but I don't. I plugged it in and it ran through the demo fine.

I need the doohickey's & software now to get into programming:yh:

I'll open it up tomorrow and check for any carnage. Hopefully I won't find anything loose or broken.

Time to order quick show :p

So I got mine today. It dosent work. It makes an awful noise (like a galvo hitting something), and if you bang on it enough, it will display something, but not the right thing. For example, in DMX mode, the circle pattern projects the this.

Any advice? It worked for about 10 seconds then did this.

So I got mine today. It dosent work. It makes an awful noise (like a galvo hitting something), and if you bang on it enough, it will display something, but not the right thing. For example, in DMX mode, the circle pattern projects the this.

Any advice? It worked for about 10 seconds then did this.

Well that sucks.. At least it showed up... Hopefully we can get you up and running!

See if pattern size does anything... Try turning it down all the way till it makes a single white dot.. Does it still make the noise?

Take the case off. A lot of the units have been coming with loose screws.. The galvos may be wiggling around and hitting something...
Check that the galvos are secure and that the mounting plate is screwed good to the case.

You can physically block the lasers with something heavy so no light gets out (make sure you don't use tape, it will burn through)

Then you can satch the galvos as they run and see if you can identify whats making the noise.

Can you make a video?, might help diagnose.

also the banging to get it to work most likely means a connection problem
so follow every wire and make sure everything is plugged in well

also the banging to get it to work most likely means a connection problem
so follow every wire and make sure everything is plugged in well

Could be, or could be moving the galvos away from whatever they are stuck on till they get stuck again...

I would be surprised if it was wiring... in mine every wire was drenched in that weird white Chinese glue you can't get off with an acetylene torch.

Could be, or could be moving the galvos away from whatever they are stuck on till they get stuck again...

I would be surprised if it was wiring... in mine every wire was drenched in that weird white Chinese glue you can't get off with an acetylene torch.

i have no idea how these are hooked up i mean on my galvos the wire from the amps to the galvos are via connectors

but those are pt-30k not 10k scanners in some completed projector

i have no idea how these are hooked up i mean on my galvos the wire from the amps to the galvos are via connectors

but those are pt-30k not 10k scanners in some completed projector

The OP shows what it looks like inside... There are connectors on both the galvo end and the driver end; but those connectors are covered in indestructible goop from the factory.

I popped it open, and wiggled the galvo mirror (it felt like it was at the edge of it's travel), noise has stopped, and it works in auto mode (it's really cool), but in DMX mode, the patterns are screwed up

EDIT: With a pretty damn hard slap, it works in DMX mode, I would still like to exchange it with dino though, because I would like to be able to use this at parties and not have to worry about having to slap it

Last edited:
The OP shows what it looks like inside... There are connectors on both the galvo end and the driver end; but those connectors are covered in indestructible goop from the factory.

now i see oops... btw im jealous of your FB3 make a better PJ so you can really use that :lasergun:

now i see oops... btw im jealous of your FB3 make a better PJ so you can really use that :lasergun:

Yeah... Those connectors don't seem like they could come off of their own accord and like I said their glued down.

I love my FB3 so much... I can do quite a bit with what I have still... I would like to get or make something nicer but my wallet is still recovering from the Pangolin attack :p

Yeah... Those connectors don't seem like they could come off of their own accord and like I said their glued down.

I love my FB3 so much... I can do quite a bit with what I have still... I would like to get or make something nicer but my wallet is still recovering from the Pangolin attack :p

lol more like the projector attack LOL

i keep going over the list of what i still need in my head:cryyy:

i bet that reke wouldnt be too hard to upgrade has anyone tried it...like through some faster galvos in there. mabye lasers if wanted it doesnt seem like it would be that hard :thinking:

lol more like the projector attack LOL

i keep going over the list of what i still need in my head:cryyy:

i bet that reke wouldnt be too hard to upgrade has anyone tried it...like through some faster galvos in there. mabye lasers if wanted it doesnt seem like it would be that hard :thinking:

The projector was cheap compared to the pangolin.

Building one would be fun but most people say they end up spending over 2k on the project...

It's probably not too bad to upgrade... Fitting stuff I'm there might be tight..
I don't know of anyone who has upgraded the galvos but I wanted to but have not got around to it... And now I'm out of money again...

Maybe could use analog lasers and drivers too but less important than good galvos.