Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review on Laserpointerstore's Pocket LPM

Ding, thanks Paul, I've been wondering what a isoperibole is used for, I've seen them on ebay, but didn't know that was to isolate the sensor to allow low power readings. I'd like to see someone else do a review of one of these against a recently calibrated LPM.

Yep. On my AC2500 Astral Calorimeter I need one to measure powers below 30 mW or 30 mJ. But, if you are measuring powers over 30mW the sensor can be damaged by the excess heat build up inside the isoperibol. I had to pull out the manual because I forgot the cut offs for using it.

Last edited:

Encap

It's a hobbyist LPM for sure which with this report shows it's OK for that, but all of the professional units I have worked with separate the head or sensor from the circuit board electronics, otherwise the heat generated inside throws off the readings. However, for short usage maybe not so bad. I have seen a couple of so called professional LPM's which had a sensor on the back side to shoot into, with proper engineering you can make the internal electronics have less impact, but not the ideal setup.

Exactly-it is a play toy level device for children to entertain themselves with---"golly gee willikers, when you shine a laser at it the digits change" :crackup:

Reactions: GSS

tommy

Thanks for your review hoo7h. It's not easy to see reviews with multiple pictures and a lot of details, tests. i would say it's as details as a video.

and we don't need more reviews on this LPM but hoo7h can get a pro LPM from school, that was so interesting, so why not have a try and compare?

the producer of the pocket LPM have same thought with Alaskan, to provide a internal sensor or a separated one. The answer is he make internal firstly and separated later, he is still testing the new device.

I totally agree with hoo7h conclusion:

If you are buying this LPM as a hobbyist and looking for a fairly close estimate to how much power your laser is outputting, I would recommend this product. If you are an electrical engineer calibrating lasers for LASEK eye surgeries, then you may need to look for something else (that will cost more than 80 bucks).

PS. I'm a little bit surprised that hoo7h pick the RED color, almost no body choose the red :undecided: any reasons?

GSS

Exactly-it is a play toy level device for children to entertain themselves with---"golly gee willikers, when you shine a laser at it the digits change" :crackup:
He has that pocket meter at as an accessory at his check out with the cheap glasses and battery's.. Doesn't that tell you something:undecided:
Tommy cut the price in half.. Tell you what i'll send you $30 for one and I will use it just 5 times a day for one month straight with plenty of cool down time in between and treated with upmost care to see if it stands up and I will send it back to you.. Lasers ranging from 50mw to 2W+ and the once a week with a 5W..

Tommy hoo7 said chose the red readout so he could see the readings with his safety glasses on when testing green and blue lasers..

Last edited:

tommy

Sorry GSS, didn't read carefully, shame on myself :banghead:

if you review this LPM, you may be on target, be queried. :na:

I don't know what you would expect from an LPM that costs $80.00? The fact that it is in the ball park of so many diodes makes it pretty good for the price. If you want to measure lasers that go down in power to <1 mW, you will need another meter.

I just didn't see the OP mention anything about it so I mentioned it about mine.

Astralis is stopping selling LPM, i want to buy a LPM in near future,, the Ophir LPM is very expensive to me, so i'm aiming at them, are you still use fine? have any problems with the sensor?

Gazen

Astralis is stopping selling LPM, i want to buy a LPM in near future,, the Ophir LPM is very expensive to me, so i'm aiming at them, are you still use fine? have any problems with the sensor?

Astralist ceased sales of the hyperion LPM? I thought he was just away for a few weeks.

I'm not so sure astralist has left the LPM sales forever. He is gone for the moment, but you can ask him when he returns. I am getting low on his Pico drivers so I hope he returns soon.

icah93

Upon this review I decided to buy one unit and I must tell you I am satisfied.

Mine arrived today and I check all of my lasers as fast as I could.
To my surprise, I got the numbers I was expected, upon my previous calculations.

Being a toy or not, this tiny shiny box is fully satisfying my needs to have an overview
of the light power of my recent and future devices.
Thanks H for the review and thanks LPS for the unit!

A short vid of the device test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhpcnozwlvY

The list of the devices:
red dilda - test done with kinda sh@t batteries, 2EG, around 150mW
dog chaser - PL520, G2, right on the spot, around 75mW
SITH52 - N520 w/ SXD, 2EG, right on the spot, around 830mW
MS-SSW - N465 w/ SXD, 3EG, right on the spot, around 4100mW

To my surprise, I got the numbers I was expected, upon my previous calculations.

Being a toy or not, this tiny shiny box is fully satisfying my needs to have an overview

The list of the devices:
Cool and well done, The more people who test this the better the review will be and it will serve to weed out any bias on anyone's part!

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

The list of the devices:
As long as you are satisfied... that's all that
is important. Unfortunately I and others were
not satisfied since we have better LPMs to
compare to.

BTW... Who is H and where is that review..:thinking:

You already linked to that same video in your Post #27

Jerry

Last edited:

Benm

The reference is an issue indeed if you need to know actual power levels.

For relative power measurement this is less important, you can still conclude that swapping lens X for lens Y created 5% more output power and things like that, even if the actual figure is off by more than that.

I would assume "H" is the OP of this thread "hoo7h" and his review is the very first post but I could be wrong...

Yeah... The "H" makes sense...

The reference is an issue indeed if you need to know actual power levels.
For relative power measurement this is less important, you can still conclude that swapping lens X for lens Y created 5% more output power and things like that, even if the actual figure is off by more than that.

I agree... It's better than sticking your
finger in the bean to get the power...;)

Jerry

Last edited: