Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of waterproof 1W 445, 1W 445 with modes from laserBtB

Hello Guys!

A few day ago a package came in :D. I just love packages :bowdown: This one scared met though! It had stickers on it from customs! The have looked through the package to see what is in it.

FD25E706-D032-4DC6-B89D-408CF05638B2_zpsfwauy05j.jpg

Luckily for me though they were kind enough to let all lasers in the package and have it sent to me :angel:

Let's unbox this :) :

AF6B94EE-2CBD-4773-B8C5-851E7C0F9E9F_zpseyq94mb6.jpg

One step further:

6CD74758-3BDD-413E-960F-08F0C182BEC5_zpsvpr0gdcw.jpg

What i received were the following lasers:

- LFP445H- 1000mW website price $134.48 Offroads GB price $110 HERE

- HL445- 1000mW D50M website price $134.48 Offroads GB price $110 HERE

I find it highly disturbing to be able to put a laser under water. :confused: But according to laserbtb they tested the product up to 50 meters depth! Which is awesome if you ask me. I made a video:

Allways wear goggles when you put a laser under water. The reflection of the water can blind you!

Here is a power graph:

445waterproof_zpsbeb25a28.png

Concluding i still find myself weirded out by the fact i can put it under water. But it is very very cool! :beer: The power is up to spec, and i find the host to be pretty good looking! Under water the beam looks way brighter then above. Because of the particles that float in the water. In the video you can notice me shaking the laser. This is for a reason. When you put the laser under water a small air bubble will sometimes stay on the lens. This will desort the light. Also when you then pull it out. A bit of water can still be laying on the lens making for a dangerous flashlight. However this is easily solved by shaking the laser a bit.

The other laser i got was also a 445-1W. Only this model had modes. This is new for laserbtb to have this in higher powered lasers. I also made a video of the functions:

I find it very cool that the laser has modes. The standby light makes a very good indicator if the laser is armed or not. You still have the posibility to focus the laser and a lens shutter.

Here is a power graph:

445modes_zps3823a7ca.png

You can clearly see the modes. Low, High and 3hrtz strobe. I would like to se the strobe flicker a little bit faster. As i could replicate this with any laser by pushing the on/off button very fast. But i am a huge fan of the low power mode.

----------------------------------------

Would you like to play with these lasers? That is not a problem :) You can borrow them from me for shipping costs only. Only thing i ask in return is to post your findings here in this thread. How cool would it be to see a member diving with the waterproof one? :shhh:

PM me to discuss the details.

Greetings to all! :beer:

Robin

Last edited:

Hey offroads,
Very cool and informative post. I have been looking carefully at both these lasers on the Laserbtb website and you answered my main questions about them, mainly what is the power of the 445 in the low mode and pulsed, and is it really water proof. Now I know. I really like the gray color of the hosts. I guess I have a few weeks to decide to add one or both to my order.

Last edited:
really like the hosts they look great, you should when you shower play with them haha :D

upaa27

Woah! I was talking to someone about taking a high powered laser spear fishing for stunning the big fish before ya spear em!

Hey offroads,
Very cool and informative post. I have been looking carefully at both these lasers on the Laserbtb website and you answered my main questions about them, mainly what is the power of the 445 in the low mode and pulsed, and is it really water proof. Now I know. I really like the gray color of the hosts. I guess I have a few weeks to decide to add one or both to my order.

If you could manage to do a series of your amazing pictures with the lasers underwater...I cant imagine how awesome it would be! Maybe a big aquarium or something.

I wonder how they test these lasers...I, for one, call BS on "every one is tested to 50m." But obviously, it is indeed waterproof...I'm sure the design has been tested at some point, I suppose (or at least one would hope!).

Last edited:
Hey crazyspaz,
I have been thinking about the possibilities of doing what you have suggested. It would certainly be a nice experiment, but as offroads pointed out, very dangerous as the water will scatter the beam unpredictably, and it is a 1W laser. Safety glasses would be a must! It would be neat to set up a beam splitter, mirrors and prisms in the tank underwater with the laser and see what happens. We shall see. Right now I am leaning more toward the one that has two power levels and pulses. If I can swing the funds (I have another 3 weeks to save) I will probably get both.

The water is no more unpredictable in its scattering than the air... Its the interfaces that get you in trouble. optics aren't going to do what they are supposed to if they are used when the ambient index of refraction is different than what they were designed for - that includes AR coatings and dichros and lenses. So if you mean unpredictable because of unexpected additional reflections off what you thought was an AR coated surface, then yes.. My main point here is that you generally have the same potential for danger when using your laser in the air, so caution and protective gear are no less important for "normal" use.

If you could manage to do a series of your amazing pictures with the lasers underwater...I cant imagine how awesome it would be! Maybe a big aquarium or something.

I wonder how they test these lasers...I, for one, call BS on "every one is tested to 50m." But obviously, it is indeed waterproof...I'm sure the design has been tested at some point, I suppose (or at least one would hope!).

Hey crazyspaz,
I have been thinking about the possibilities of doing what you have suggested. It would certainly be a nice experiment, but as offroads pointed out, very dangerous as the water will scatter the beam unpredictably, and it is a 1W laser. Safety glasses would be a must! It would be neat to set up a beam splitter, mirrors and prisms in the tank underwater with the laser and see what happens. We shall see. Right now I am leaning more toward the one that has two power levels and pulses. If I can swing the funds (I have another 3 weeks to save) I will probably get both.

I like the way you two are thinking :wave: Why don't you guys try these lasers out and post your findings here? I dont honestly think laserbtb tests all their lasers on 50m. But they tested the hosts design up to that depth. You just need to be sure your O-rings are ok. :) (comes with a few extra! :D )

The water is no more unpredictable in its scattering than the air... Its the interfaces that get you in trouble. optics aren't going to do what they are supposed to if they are used when the ambient index of refraction is different than what they were designed for - that includes AR coatings and dichros and lenses. So if you mean unpredictable because of unexpected additional reflections off what you thought was an AR coated surface, then yes.. My main point here is that you generally have the same potential for danger when using your laser in the air, so caution and protective gear are no less important for "normal" use.

I think what you are saying is partly true. You ALLWAYS need goggles. However i think water is slighly more dangerous. why? Because when you point it in a certain direction in the air. You can partially predict what direction a possible reflection could go to. With water however it is more unpredictable. We all know water surface reflects light. But water surface also has riples which make the direction of the reflection near impossible to predict.

greetings :beer:

One of the best reviews i've ever read, so simple yet so straight forward and good. The 1W with modes look really cool! Congrats to your new lasers and good job as always!:D