Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the THOR M2 from ebay

INTRODUCTION

Hello and welcome to my review of the THOR M2 laser I bought from ebay here!
Yes this is quick review but I hope you enjoy reading.

This is my first high powered laser that has found itself into my collection! So far it has been used for a few months with no problems. This made me think "I need to review this now it's been too long." so now is the time to do it.
Obviously I purchased some Eagle Pair OD6 190-540nm goggles as I do need my eyes for future use. :D

THE SELLER
The seller "ayoboxcom" has some great reviews. "ayobox.com" redirects to laserpointerstore so I am guessing ayoboxcom is the owner of Laserpointerstore?
Either way, being the unsocial person that I am and having no issues with shipping meant I never had to interact... phew. But on a serious note the seller I would give a 10/10. No problems at all.

POSTAGE + PACKAGING
Postage + Packaging cost: £3.81
To be completely honest... shipping was ok! From order date to arrival date it only took 9 days from china. (21st-30th November). Estimated arrival date was 19th of December according to ebay.
The laser made it swiftly through customs with batteries inside inserted opposite way they should be inserted. This could be to prevent accidental switching on during transport.
The laser itself came in a bubble wrap which was inside a card box.
This was inside a smallish box.
Inside the box was also some simple stadard pattern caps and a charger (cheappppppp).
wnuBePjm.jpg

Packaging: 7/10 - pretty basic but got the job done.
Shipping Cost: 8/10
Shipping Time: 8/10

THE LASER
Laser cost: £48.79
I thought it would be best to save the laser until last (You have probably skipped to this point anyway).
The laser is not tested but probably around 1.6watts. The laser can burn cardboard and leave an ember from about a meter away when focused to infinity. When focused to a small dot it can burn from quite a distance around 8 feet probably more but obviously not as good as being close to the object.

The Host is amazing. Black host with a tactical look to it. The threads which screw the laser together are smooth. This lasers host doesn't feel cheap at all. The only problem I did encounter with the host are small sharp bits that probably have something to do with the manufacturing of the host These are 2 very small chips but they do not affect the overall looks too much. The mechanism to turn the laser on is an on/off button on tail cap which is simple and easy to use. I remove my batteries just in case anyone manages to get hold of it. Host 8/10.

Picture of the chips in the host:
lcGFKuVm.jpg
9x3860Jm.jpg

You should 100% buy some safety goggles as this laser will fry your eyes even when just looking at the dot on a wall. I am not willing to test this and I do not recommend trying it out yourself. Just get the goggles and be mature.
I Do not have any photos of the beam in the sky due to low flying planes (3500ft-4000ft) above the house.

The beam has a divergence of approx 3.6mRad which is pretty normal for a blue laser of this value.
The Laser takes 2*16340 with + side touching the tail cap
The Lasers weight without batteries is 0.2Kg.
The beam is also straight and aligned with the host.
The focusing mechanism is at the center of the host.

People have been getting varied results in power. I do not have an LPM but expect it to be in the 1.3W-1.6W range

Its crazy how bright these lasers can get at this price and did not expect it to be this bright at all.

The beam can be seen inside with a pretty bright bulb on which is just crazy! (though one image doesnt really show this)
I have managed to melt a few dog waste bags and burn cardboard packaging. Overall this laser is a 10/10 for the price. Best £52.60 I have spent in a while.:drool:
Cool factor 10/10

Here are some shots of the laser:
3UMr62Bm.jpg
kIrFbopm.jpg

MLKH3NAm.jpg
YUus8Cam.jpg

OxsMwfBm.jpg

RDJEA8Gm.jpg

7tBtQUlm.jpg

With this being my first review in a long time, I am sorry if I have not covered everything and if everything seems biased due to this being my first powerful laser. If there are any questions I will be happy to answer them for you.

Thanks for reading, hope I didn't waste too much time of your lives. :D

Last edited:

Sta

Good review and good pictures, +rep!

The Thor has always been one of the few reliable eBay lasers. Good choice. :D

Hi,
Thanks for sharing this review with us, Enjoy and be safe.

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice laser you've got there, NarwhalZ! :beer:
You can't go wrong for £52.60 total inc. S & H, it's too bad that it has those two sharp little dings in the host, otherwise it would have been perfect.

Thanks for the review! :yh:

Hi,
Thanks for sharing this review with us, Enjoy and be safe.

Rich:)

No problem I will :)

Nice laser you've got there, NarwhalZ! :beer:
You can't go wrong for £52.60 total inc. S & H, it's too bad that it has those two sharp little dings in the host, otherwise it would have been perfect.

Thanks for the review! :yh:

Thanks, Yes £52.60 isn't bad at all. This was to ease myself through to become more comfortable handling higher power lasers. Will be doing a review soon on my SurvivalLaserIII so more to come!

Nice review, Narwhalz. Very comprehensive for lack of an LPM. Not a bad price for this laser, but I do wonder what the optical power is. Using two 16340 batteries tends to make me think the power is lower than others, but IDK for sure.

Last edited:
Nice review, Naewhalz. Very comprehensive for lack of an LPM. Not a bad price for this laser, but I do wonder what the optical power is. Using two 16340 batteries tends to make me think the power is lower than others, but IDK for sure.

Thanks Paul! Planning on buying a Hyperion power meter soon. When I do get around to buying one I will be updating the review :) . My estimate here was only based off me comparing it to other lasers of certain powers + reviews of THOR M2+H2 (low power option) scattered on YouTube and around the internet. :yh:

I have to stop using my phone to respond to and post here. It leads to terrible spelling mistakes. I look forward to your update with an LPM, Narwhalz. You can't really get a good estimate by sight alone. :D

i have this same exact laser and i get 1450mw from a cold start on my lpm

Last edited:
Well, that should give you a ball park estimate of the power of this one. ;)

Snecho

I got one too. It's pretty good for what it is