Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Super Visible Green Beam Laser Module

This is a long post with at least 17 images on it; dial-up users please allow for plenty of load time.

Super Visible Green Beam Laser Module, retail $18.88
Manufactured by (Unknown)
Last updated 08-15-11

svgblp-1.jpg
what.gif

This is a green-emitting laser; styled not like the usual "pen" but more like a larger handheld module.

It has a measured power output of 48.33mW at 532nm in the green part of the spectrum; yet it is advertised as a 5mW unit. And before you ask, yes, I checked (spectrographically) for the presence of NIR radiation from the pump diode that might have queered the test, and only very little was found -- a percent or two of the total power tops. So yes, that 48.33mW reading is mainly the green laser radiation.

This laser comes in an aluminum body (protected by what I believe is a baked enamel finish) and it feeds from a single CR123A lithium camera cell.

svgblp-2.jpg
SIZE

using.gif

Feed the laser module the included CR123A cell first (see below), and then you'll be ready to rock.

To use the laser module, just aim it at something you wish to point out, and press & hold down the button on the barrel for as long as you need the laser spot. Release the button to turn the laser module back off. Yes, it really is as easy as that.

change.gif

To change the battery in this laser, unscrew and remove the tailcap, and set it aside.

Tip the used CR123A cell out of the barrel and into your hand, and dispose of or recycle it as you see fit.

Insert a new CR123A cell into the barrel, flat-end (-) negative first. This is the opposite of how batteries are installed in most flashlights, so please pay attention to polarity here.

Screw the tailcap back on, and be done with it.

Current usage measures 285mA on my DMM's 4A scale.

The only thing that really pisses me off about this laser is that it's so darn-diddly-arn unstable -- power output fluctuates quite visibly.

svgblp-3.jpg

Beam photograph on the test target at 12".
Measures 48.33mW on a Sper Scientific Pocket Laser Power Meter # 840011; using a known-new CR123A cell.

svgblp8.gif

Power output was remeasured at 28mW on a LaserBee 2.5W USB Laser Power Meter w/Thermopile.

svgblp-4.jpg

Beam photograph on a wall at ~10 feet.

svgblp-5.jpg

Photograph of the unit with the front "head" removed.

svgblp-1.gif

Spectrographic analysis of this laser.

svgblp-2.gif

Spectrographic analysis of this laser; spectrometer's response narrowed to a band between 781nm and 830nm to show NIR laser line from the pump diode.

NIR filtering is actually quite good; I had to "overload" the spectrometer by a significant degree just to get this "hump" to show. Here, let me show you with the following chart:

svgblp-3.gif

See how much I had to overload the instrument to get that little piddling NIR laser line?

USB2000 spectrometer graciously donated by P.L.

svgblp-4.gif

Beam cross-sectional analysis.

Image made using the ProMetric System by Radiant Imaging.

TEST NOTES:
Test unit was purchased on Ebay on 05-01-11 (or "01 May 2011" if you prefer), and was received at 4:20pm PDT on 05-05-11 (or "05 May 2011").

Unit was found to be rather unstable; varying in power output from a hundred or so µW (microwatts) to over 48mW (milliwatts) with no apparent pattern.

UPDATE: 00-00-00

PROS:
Interesting shape
Feels rather hefty in the hand
Beam is relatively clean with no speckling or other artifacts in it

CONS:
Very unstable output power (this is, by far, what nocked the most off its rating)
No CDRH-mandated "Laser radiation is emitted from this aperture..." warning label.
Not very water-resistant -- but most other lasers aren't. Will not affect rating

fire.gif

MANUFACTURER: Unknown
PRODUCT TYPE: Green-emitting laser
LAMP TYPE: DPSS laser module
No. OF LAMPS: 1
BEAM TYPE: Very narrow spot
SWITCH TYPE: Momentary pushbutton on/off on barrel
CASE MATERIAL: Metal
BEZEL: Metal; laser recessed into a hosel for it
BATTERY: 1x CR123A cell
CURRENT CONSUMPTION: 285mA
WATER- AND URANATION-RESISTANT: Very light splatter-resistant at maximum
SUBMERSIBLE: ¡¡¡PARA LOS MOTIVOS NO DE CRISTO!!!
roll2.gif

ACCESSORIES: 1x CR123A cell, small lanyard
SIZE: 112mm L x 25mm D (barrel) & 39mm D (head)
WEIGHT: Not equipped to weigh
COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE: Unknown
WARRANTY: Unknown/not stated

PRODUCT RATING:
st2.gif
st2half.gif

fire.gif

Update 08-15-11: Remeasured its power output on a LaserBee LPM.

Last edited:

Nice review. Nice using the spectrographic analysis to determine how much IR is coming out of the thing :p better than my usual, totally 100% accurate method of using my safety glasses to block the green hahahaha