Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Skytech Class IV 520nm Green Portable Diode Laser

Re: Review of the Skytech 520nm Class IV Green Portable Laser

BTTT: Performed multiple repeat power output analyses and current usage measurements of this laser.

BTTT: Weighed the product in 1x and 2x cell configurations.

That's all copy-pasta bullshit anyway. The only reliable way to determine thermal characteristics is to test them. :shhh:

The 75% duty cycle they recommend is the same 75% recommendation of a 30mW pointer in the same housing. Odd, don't'cha think?

One thing that bothers me is how well heatsinked are driver components and are their wattage ratings appropriate? You can measure temp rise of the case but it could easily conceal things getting hot that transfer heat to it poorly.

I intend to post a review soon of a 1watt jetlasers PLE in 520nm.The only tools I currently lack are a lab grade variable power supply to check regulation and drop out and a LPM.I also don't have a decent oscilloscope so seeing noise is a no go as well.
But a cheap ir thermometer?Yes.Good DMM...Fluke 87V is on it's way(massive upgrade over the older Tripplett VOM and radio shack DMM. I have wanted a better DMM for years so I am as excited over that as the laser!)

I probably won't get a good variable lab supply.I hardly build things anymore that need it and it is too big a capital outlay to justify for as seldom as I will use it.

A great review LED!
I have enjoyed your work for a very long time.The LED Museum site has consumed vast quantities of my time...and it was a wonderful way to pass the time too!

Green Laser Diodes....wheee!I am happy to see how far laser diodes have advanced...it is very cool indeed!

BTTT: Re-remeasured optical power output in minimum & maximum power configurations.

if thats the tightest beam you can get im pretty sure its defective. could be that the lens cant get into the proper distance from the diode to get a good focal point. or the diode is to deep into the laser. I would get it replaced because thats more like a laser flashlight.

if thats the tightest beam you can get im pretty sure its defective. could be that the lens cant get into the proper distance from the diode to get a good focal point. or the diode is to deep into the laser. I would get it replaced because thats more like a laser flashlight.

The beam terminus image bloomed significantly on both of the indoor photographs -- much more so in the second which was made with the laser emitting almost one watt.

Let's see here...white paper...1 watt...cheap camera...you guess what happens next. :undecided:;)

The divergence is still a bit higher than I'd like to see, but nothing nearly as dramatic as those test target pics would seem to indicate.
In fact, I'd better caption them as such! :D

The beam terminus image bloomed significantly on both of the indoor photographs -- much more so in the second which was made with the laser emitting almost one watt.

Let's see here...white paper...1 watt...cheap camera...you guess what happens next. :undecided:;)

The divergence is still a bit higher than I'd like to see, but nothing nearly as dramatic as those test target pics would seem to indicate.
In fact, I'd better caption them as such! :D

i was more so taking about the beamshot up into the sky. It even looks more divergent then the high powered multimode red diode lasers which it should not be. the 1w 520nm diodes are supposed to be the same divergence as the 3w 9mm 445nm diodes. did you have it at its tightest beam possible for the outdoor fog shot?

i was more so taking about the beamshot up into the sky. It even looks more divergent then the high powered multimode red diode lasers which it should not be. the 1w 520nm diodes are supposed to be the same divergence as the 3w 9mm 445nm diodes. did you have it at its tightest beam possible for the outdoor fog shot?

Yes, I had the bezel tightened as far as I could without tools; the beam divergence still looked a bit high to me, but nothing to shit myself over. :whistle:

BTTT: Performed stability analysis cum battery discharge analysis at maximum power output.

BTTT: Performed stability analysis cum battery discharge analysis at minimum power output.

I'm going to re-run both analyses.

The first because I bumped something and queered the test approx. two minutes in.

The second with a different 18650 cell because the chart that my LPM pooped out looks an awful lot like an alkaline battery discharge curve rather than a nice flat lithium battery curve.

Reactions: GSS

BTTT: Repeated stability analysis cum battery discharge analysis at minimum power output using a different cell ("battery").
I'm going to run it a third time using a protected 18650 cell.

Last edited:

BTTT: Performed a third stability analysis cum battery discharge analysis at minimum power output; also performed multiple spectrographic analyses of the product below lasing threshold.

Pman

To Cist I own a couple Fluke 87 including the V and even though I have at least another 10 MTM it's my go to for everything. They do make another unit that is almost the same but is about twice the size that can float but I've had my V out in pretty severe weather and have never had an issue.

Pretty impressed by your thorough testing LED.

Last edited:
BTTT: Performed a fourth stability analysis cum battery discharge analysis at minimum power output.