Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Sci-Fi Lasers SF501B 1 Watt 445

Just got my SF501B in the mail today, and after playing around with it for 3 hours I would say its time for a review!

So first topic to cover is shipping. Sci-Fi Lasers is known for fast shipping and the tradition continues, with it only taking 2 weeks and 1 day for my laser to arrive in Canada from Israel, and during the holiday season too! Thats faster than the usual shipping for my lasers from the USA.

Next up, lets take a look at the host:

wPY814nl.jpg

The SF501B is in (as the model number says) a 501B host. I personally like this host, as its not too big nor is it too small. With batteries in it it has a nice weight that feels solid without being bulky. Its basic and clean, both are attributes I appreciate. Mine arrived in good condition, with the exception being a small smudge of what appears to be glue(?) under the logo.

jPTWfFNl.jpg

The SF501B has a copper diode module enclosed in an aluminum heatsink. The 1 Watt version uses a 3 element glass lens with adjustable focus.

uSXCg4Vl.jpg

The SF501B uses 2 16340 or 2 18350 batteries. Batteries are inserted with the positive terminal facing the front of the laser.

Now lets talk about some of the specifications:

I ordered the 1 Watt version of the SF501B. Sci-Fi lasers is kind enough to measure the output of the laser before shipping and even includes a printout of the power chart.

WCA2wzml.jpg

As you can see by the chart, my laser clocks in at around 1400 mW. Thats over 40% over-spec :drool:

To say that I'm impressed would be an understatement.

The duty cycle for this laser is 60 seconds on, 60 seconds off, which is decent for the size of the host and the power of the laser.

UsDt8MNl.jpg

The beam of the laser is nice and clean, with no distortions or aberrations present. When focused the laser produces a nice blue dot that appears round. When un-focused the beam resolves itself into a rectangular shape common of diode lasers and especially common with blue and near-UV lasers. As is common with shorter wavelength lasers, divergence over a distance isn't too great, with the dot becoming noticeably bigger over medium distances, however adjusting the focus of the laser counters this effect.

And finally, one of the aspects many people buy lasers for: burning!
At 1.4 Watts, this laser will scorch almost any material instantly (including humans and animals, so be careful). For the topic of burning, words don't really do much justice, so I will let my video do the talking for me.

So in summary, the SF501B is a excellent laser, and Sci-Fi lasers is an excellent place to buy from. for 95$ plus 10$ shipping you really can't go wrong. I highly recommend the SF501B and Sci-Fi Lasers

(Also, more pictures to come soon once my camera is charged)

Glad you liked the laser! Sci-fi lasers are known for their affordability and quality!

Enjoy! Good review!

:beer:
-Matt

Tmack

Glad to see you opted for the 1w 445. Must have gotten that suggestion from some kind of genius :D

Very nice man. Be careful.

looks awesome i have same one ordered cant wait to get mine.

Very nice review. Previously i ordered one from Joker as well. Too bad cant have that beast as package from Israel is not allowed to Malaysia. Great job and customer dealing process from him i can say. Have fun and be safe dude!

USAbro

Okay so I'm gonna buy it then just have to wait until April 7th which sucks.

I loved my scifi laser up until I was being very observant and put the batts in backwards.. blowing the diode and driver... hehe. But that was my fault obviously. I dismantled it for the heatsink... and the quality inside was great.. silicone wires.. good soldering jobs!
Nice review. Makes me wish I didn't blow it!!

Last edited:

Pman

Have only done the reverse battery thing once but got lucky and just blew the driver. Sent it to back to Blord paying the shipping and cost of board and he sent it back including a really nice flashlight gift. Always mark them somehow for polarity and it's a good idea to write down the units information in a notebook if you are going to start collecting. Wish I had written down more specifics such as diode and driver:(

USAbro

Why can't they make them resistant against that with a simple diode?
@Blarg King-Why is your deceased?