Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Rayfoss RF532-350mW-FGB (pic heavy)

ped

Ok so it finally turned up!

Initial impressions are 6/10 , it feels nice and weighty in your hand.

DSCF2341.jpg

Vice faux leather case
gay.gif

DSCF2342.jpg

Little bit of scuffing to the inside of the box

DSCF2343.jpg

Feels nice and solid in your hand

DSCF2345.jpg

Dimensions around 5 3/4cm x 25cm (inc tailcap)

DSCF2344.jpg

Closeup of the latching , illuminated on/off switch (shiny!!)

DSCF2351.jpg

Size comparison with some of my other lasers
:)

DSCF2352.jpg

Power reading after 60 seconds stabilisation

DSCF2347.jpg

And power reading after adding IR filter :( 124mW

DSCF2357.jpg

Said IR filter

Untitled.jpg

Now, it has a couple of issues. The exit apeture and lens is offset which i'm going to correct, it makes the beam come out at an angle.

DSCF2349.jpg

Front view

DSCF2350.jpg

All the seperate components.
DSCF2348.jpg

Will be getting beam shots possibly tonight.

So, the good points are :-

1, Nice and heavy, well heatsunk.
2, Focusable.
3, Battery & goggles included.

4, Takes extra length protected batteries.

Bad points :-

1, poor beam specs (Stays in TEM00 but divergence is terrible, measurements to follow).
2, Focusing ring is a loose fit and causes the beam to "wobble"
3, Has a hunger for batteries
4, poor construction at the head end
5, High IR content

6, Hit & miss apeture shutter

So all in all more bad points than good, bearing in mind it wasnt cheap ($375 shipped). If i can fix the wobbly focus ring with teflon, and re mount the optics so thier straight i'll probably keep it.
Like i said i'll get divergence measurements later.
/end

Mmm, that's not good news.

Send it back, as it's underspec. It should be putting out 350mW of green, not IR.

The wobbly and misaligned crystal set may lead to problems further on with the crystal set itself.

I'd exchange it for a RF532-300-02 or FMK.

Reactions: ped

ped

Yeah i'll get in touch with Faona i think, see where to go from here.

Yeah i'll get in touch with Faona i think, see where to go from here.

Yeah, talk to Faona about it, and tell us how it goes.

She's very nice and I'm sure you'll be able to work something out.

ped

Here is the email i sent.
Hi, i'd like to request an RMA for this item please, as it is greatly underspec and the beam comes out at an angle.

Here are measurements taken on my Coherent Laser Power Meter. (see attatched pictures)

As you can see, I paid (a lot) of money for a 124mW laser pointer! There is over there is nearly 300mW of IR , and i paid for 350mW of 532nm light, NOT 808nm (IR) light.

So i'd either like a TESTED (IR filtered) 350mW 532nm laser , or a refund please.

Regards

EDIT

Here is the responce

Hello xxxx,

Maybe there are some misunderstanding.
In our online store we never said it is IR filtered version please refer this linkage.
http://rayfoss.com/productn.asp?ArticleID=65

And we will add the remark of (IR filtered) if the item is IR filtered version Please refer this advise:
http://rayfoss.com/productn.asp?ArticleID=59

Since this is not the item you are actually need please send it back we will refund for you after deduct the shipping fee and paypal process charger.

Any further comments please feel free let us know!
Thanks and regards,
www.rayfoss.com
Faona

So now i'm asking, deduct shipping fee? its going to cost me to send it back to them, so i dont see why they should deduct the shipping fee.

Further edit, here's what i said in responce.

Hi,

I know you never advertised is ir filtered.

But you HAVE advertised as "350mW 532nm" , not "124mW /200mW 808nm" now my measurements show you there is only 124mW of 532nm, and thus it's underspec.

Also, you say your deducting shipping? when in fact I have to pay to ship this back to you, i find this unacceptable considering this incedent is NOT my fault, i dont see why i should have to pay, i'm allready out of pocket.

FURTHER EDIT

Rayfoss responce
Hello Peter,Good Day!

Sorry for the confustion caused. There are some conception difference between us.In our place people talking green laser by 532nm and by IR fiilter or without IR filter.

Anyway,it's not important now. We could refund you if you dislike the laser. Once got your returned item in original status we would refund you 360usd.As we actually did the shipping out to you by DHL not by normal post.Please consider and let us know your comments in return!

Last edited:

VERGiL

Well, 124mW green for a $355 laser is sad.
Really a high IR output. Maybe they just raise the IR output and sell them at a higher price?

DrSid

IMHO the bad convergence is result of thin beam at aperture. It would use different optics. Basically the thin beam must be expanded first with concave lens, then colimated with convex lens. In these lasers the concave lens is too weak.

ped

I sent it back to them, this is one of the last emails i recieved

Hello Peter,Good Day!

Yes, we resumed from holidays now.

And engineer has finished the inspection of your returned laser.

We found you have dismantaled the laser and even the tailcap also be dismantaled which is loose.

I only unscrewed the freely removable head, and the tailcap was defective upon recipt

Factaully, under this situation we will not offer charger free warranty service.(The lable on the laser shows REMOVAL VOID WARRANTY).

There was NO warranty label ANYWHERE, look at my review with detailed photos of it.

And my top manager meaning is to refund you the product cost to you i.e. 355usd instead exchange another type.

As he afriada you will dismantle each unit we shipped you and send it back for some reason which will be a problem for us.

That suited me just fine.

Please understand and confirm you could accept 355usd refund! Then we will arrange the refund for you accordingly.

So basically they gave me a refund because they couldnt send me an upto spec laser, and i could prove it with my LPM, as i did to them.

ped

That was just a sticker on the body of the laser, granted i said there wasnt one anywhere, i take that back.

But companies generally put them over a removable part of the body, say two pieces that screw together...so if you unscrew it , it damages the sticker and thusly void's your warranty. There were NON of them, and the head freely unscrewed. Thats the point i was trying to get across. Rayfoss said i damaged the sticker, when i didnt, there wern't any, apart from that one you pointed out, which was perfectly intact.

W4NX

I figured as much, just had to pull your chain a bit. Maybe I should hold off on that til I have more posts and have developed a reputation.

Sucks they tried to jerk you around so much, was that your first purchase from Rayfoss?

ped

Haha ^ no worries i dont mind my chain being yanked...i do it enough.

Yeah, granted Faona sorted me out but the laser was unforgivably poor.

hi
do you know where can i find these modules for c,b-mount diodes with or not a diode?crystals and expander must be high power for 2w diode do not be burned.