Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the 490nm Copper 10440 pen from Rich.

Giannis_TDM

I received the package In exactly one month, Relatively fast considering the whole situation in the US. This right here ladies and gentlemen is my dream build! Ever since I saw the red guardian on Sanwus site with the 490nm option I knew I wanted one so I commissioned Rich to make a copper pen in that wavelength. First of all,
Here are some pictures:
IMG_20200620_173553.jpgIMG_20200620_173539.jpgIMG_20200620_173621.jpgIMG_20200620_173625.jpg
The color is exactly what I wanted for this build at around 490nm, and the quality of the machining is outstanding. As for the driver he is using an X Boost driver with a 1-sec soft start that I have fallen in love with! The host itself feels heavy and smooth with no sharp edges and the rear button is nice and clicky with long travel time. For the lens, he is using a pair of ar coated 3 element glass lens which do an amazing job of getting rid of the box reflection. The laser was well packed with lots of layers of bubble wrap. It measures at 16mm OD and a length of 130mm and a weight of 110gr(118 with an efest 10440 IMR battery)
TLDR:
Positives:
The amazing quality of machining
Well priced (110$ + shipping)
Solid high-grade copper
Quality driver
Well packed
Included focus ring
The lens was clean
Cons:
Non I am extremely satisfied with the laser

Feedback for Rich: The only thing I did not really like was the lens spring, Personally I don't use lens springs because the lens is still kind of wobbly with them. In all of my builds, I use Teflon tape (3-4 layers) around the lens. It works much better and eliminates any possible back reflections from the lens spring.

Product Rating: 10 Out of 10. Extremely satisfied.

Last edited:

Encap

Great looking pen laser--nice wavelength.
Lifetime17 made an outstanding copper host for you. His work just keeps getting better and better.

Enjoy it.

Hi G,
Glad to see it made to you with no issues. About the springs for lens tension I know all about that , they do have less resistance and are quite thin. but other than that I guess we can live with it. Copper take a bit longer to machine compared to AL or Brass being that it heats fast and gets grabby so its a slow go but the ed results are great when polished. The WL is timeless and beautiful and pleasing to the eyes.
Well thank You for choosing me to make your day buddy. Enjoy and be safe always...
Here is a 2X14500 copper host I machined as well..
Rich:)

Did you ask for it to be that long? Just curious, I feel like a build using only a single 10440 would be small like a sanwu pocket unless you just wanted more length. Looks great though

Giannis_TDM

Did you ask for it to be that long? Just curious, I feel like a build using only a single 10440 would be small like a sanwu pocket unless you just wanted more length. Looks great though
Well yes, I asked for it that long also keep in mind the combinations of a 3E lens and a long is focus ring adds a couple mm too. Also, it's not that bigger than the pocket and it has Much Much better heatsinking for the diode and driver compared to a brass pill for the diode on a stainless steel heatsink since its set at 132mw. Furthermore, the duty cycles are longer than sanwu. But I have to give it to the pocket, It is 31mm shorter. and 3mm less wide.

Ah. yeah I figured the heat sinking would be much better. Rich makes killer stuff. Take care of it. I love copper. Shoulda had him make me a silver one back in March when silver went below $12

Giannis_TDM

Ah. yeah I figured the heat sinking would be much better. Rich makes killer stuff. Take care of it. I love copper. Shoulda had him make me a silver one back in March when silver went below $12
Heh, don't worry I take good care of all of my lasers cleaning the surface oxidation of my brass and copper builds daily and storing them in some high-density foam.