Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

review of Rick Trent 520nm 1W kit

Alrighty lads and ladies, i buckled down and purchased Rick Trents 1W 520nm kit from ebay! For those of you who dont want to read on, this laser is well worth your hard earned cash! You can find his kit with a search on ebay (if its still available).

Okay so to the review! My experience with Mr. Trent was optimal. From time of purchase to time i received the package was 9 days. Mr. Trent lpm'ed the laser before it was shipped and notified me that he had ordered another diode to replace the original because it was a bit underspec. So the total shipping time was a tad longer, for a good reason. I couldnt possibly show enough gratitude for such honesty! The underspec diode peaked at around 700mw at recommended current and the replacement diode tested at 1.5W max and a stable 1.44W (i believe it is being driven by the recommended 2200mA)!!!

The package was shipped in a small flat rate box with everything nicely packaged in ample bubble wrap and/or static resistant mylar. The flashlight (host), pre assembled module / copper heatsink, the original lens (3 element lens was already on module) and red safety glasses were included. Oh and i almost forgot to mention a sheet of paper with some specs, instructions and safety tips as well.

efPkwvW.jpg

dsOMiKj.jpg

sYTfykr.jpg

9IIJ8k1.jpg

EEPnZhJ.jpg

Disassembling the flashlight and assembling the laser and host was a breeze and self explanatory. Removing the glass, reflector and LED assembly and replacing that with the heatsink \ module took maybe 5 minutes or so. The complete assembly is very neat and pretty cool looking. Everything fits nice and snug with no wiggly parts aside from the focus knob which really isnt a big deal, considering the movement is so minimal.

P1bm4bg.jpg

5PySdCh.jpg

So after all the hype, i had two charged 18650s ready to go. I put on my safety shades and popped in the batteries. The laser is operated by a tailswitch clicky. i carefully aimed the laser at a white wall to prevent and burning and voila! On it goes. i stepped behind a doorway to take the safety glasses off and noticed the beam is incredible, even in a lit room! The laser was pointed into the kitchen and green light was just pouring out of its entrance way, so i could only imagine how bright the dot is! I soon put it beside my 1W 445nm and 35mw 532nm and it looks great! I really like the slighty softer tint of green the 520nm is compared to the 532nm.

oy5Yt99.jpg

uwpycLu.jpg

q7OZfVX.jpg

J9zw16H.jpg

429XCls.jpg

Oh yeah, i also tried the G2 lens to see how that paired up the with 3 element lens and found that the G2 lens has some sort of odd rectangular splash beside the dot... (???)

CyGkQAH.jpg

One thing i immediately noticed is that the beam is in fact rectangular, just as my 445nm. So i took it outside, made sure no aircraft were around and aimed for the sky... The beam is stunning! Because the beam is rectangular, rotating the laser 90 degrees or so makes the beam brighter or dimmer due to looking through the extra density (or flatness) of the beam. Sorry i have no outdoor beamshots as i didnt want to gave a bright green beacon shining near a city full of roaming folks :D but that brings me to conclude this review! Over all, this kit is great and well worth the money! some people may not like the width of the rectangular beam, but if youre just looking for a bright and burning beam of light, then this kit is just right for you! Mr. Trent, in my experience is an honest and fair seller. I highly recommend this 1W 520nm kit!:wave::wave::wave:

:lasergun:

Last edited:

I'm unable to view the images - it say "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting"

I'm unable to view the images - it say "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting"

Oh no! Wow i didnt realize its 399 for 3rd party hosting on photobucket... :wtf: ... i will have to get back to this later. Its currently almost 4am here. Heh.

GSS

That is one nice build and review:)
Nice hunk of copper for sure..I'm a bit confused with your lens explaination though?
A 3 element lens and a G2 lens are two different lenses. Are you under the assumption they are the same?

Edit: I think I see, Rick gave you 2 sets of lenses with focus knobs.
One is the G2 that will give you a rectangular spot but with the most output,
The other is a 3 element will help round out the spot but you will lose 30% output, still thats alot of green!

Last edited:

BobMc

Nice write up and read. 1.44 watts of 520, that's a whole bunch of green photons. Enjoy that puppie and be safe. Thanks for posting. :gj:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
GeoninjaIII, that's a nice looking 520nm green monster you have there, thanks for all the pics! :beer:
This kit looks as if everything laser related, comes pre-assembled from Rick, that makes for a nice easy build!

I wonder why he doesn't have the 12mm copper module inserted farther into the heatsink so the front of the module is flush with the heatsink?

Geo, stay away from Photobucket, they have royally screwed their customers over with their $399. third party hosting fee! Go with Imgur, or some other photo hosting site. :mad:

Last edited:

GSS

Talk about staying away..they already took the pic's down:can:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Wow, that was quick, they were there when I previously posted less than an hour ago; screw that Photobucket crap! :mad:

BobMc

Bunch of crooks!! :(

As Bowtie suggested try Imgur, seems to be a whole lot easier and quicker to use.

That is one nice build and review:)
Nice hunk of copper for sure..I'm a bit confused with your lens explaination though?
A 3 element lens and a G2 lens are two different lenses. Are you under the assumption they are the same?

Edit: I think I see, Rick gave you 2 sets of lenses with focus knobs.
One is the G2 that will give you a rectangular spot but with the most output,
The other is a 3 element will help round out the spot but you will lose 30% output, still thats alot of green!

ooh! Yes i had it all wrong, thanks for clarification :D

Also i edited the post and used imgur. Hopefully those images will appear now.

Awesome.

So does anyone know why the G2 lens has that odd rectangle beside the dot? is that a flaw in the lens or is that just a true projection of the diode itself?? Or maybe its just some scattered light... its not a problem for me, i just find it interesting how certain lens configurations will give different results even with lasers, as i am an amateur astronomer and have alot of experience with lenses and mirrors to perform certain tasks.

BobMc

I've heard some people say it's just a reflection from inside the diode can. Some diodes produce it others don't. Changing the lens helps, but than you lose some power. So it's a trade off?

Reactions: GSS
Perhaps you can super glue a small disk on the end of the knurled focus adjustment with a hole in it just the right size for the beam diameter to mask the splash from getting out?

Last edited:
Nice review. I have seen this rectangular artifact with many of the new Sharp green diodes. They are especially prevalent with a single element aspheric lens like the G-2. For lower power builds I use the stock acrylic lens and never see it with that lens. You couldn't use it here as it would melt. :crackup: Nice that the three element glass lens works to obviate the artifact.

Nice large piece of copper for a heat sink. That should allow for longer run times. :thanks:

Talk about staying away..they already took the pic's down:can:
Not to derail your thread, they,photobucket, screwed up my website with that nonesense and cost me customers.

That is one awsome beam. It will outshine my 7 watt Sanwu I bet

Reactions: GSS