Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

review of o-like 100mW 532nm Lab-style with TEC

I saw these on o-like's site, and they looked decent so I thought I'd try one out.. The end result: I'm HIGHLY impressed.

*I'm writing this while on a break from work, so pictures will have to be posted later.

The package arrived in about 4 days (I used EMS for shipping). It was EXTREMELY well packaged and survived the trip in perfect condition.

The power supply accepts 90-240VAC but it doesn't come with a wall plug, so I just soldered a lamp cord on it for testing purposes.

The beam exits the aperture with a 1mm diameter (which is smaller than the specs state) and the divergence I estimate to be around 1.5-1.8 mrad, (which is more than the specs state). These units are IR filtered.

The actual power output is anywhere between 150-175mW depending on ambient temperature, (these are estimated power readings using a laserbee power sensor. Unfortunately this is the only laser power meter I have right now, as my trusty LaserCheck broke some time ago.) so that's a nice bonus.. (I don't have power vs. time graphing ability, so that will have to be done by someone else sometime.)

The unit handles modulation very well once it warms up (a 10min warmup is recommended) and remains very stable at all modulation frequencies. The driver is rated to provide TTL modulation capability up to 10kHz, which it did with no difficulty.

All told, I highly recommend these units as they are very high-quality for $126USD plus shipping. The build quality is extremely good, making these units an ideal cost effective solution for a scanner, or just for fun.

My only complaint is that the listed specs are not correct. The beam diameter and divergence are both incorrect.

Will post pics by tomorrow.

Last edited:

k1kb0t

Nice to know, thanks for the review. I was looking at that laser earlier today.

.3lite

Can you make some pictures? Movies etc. Would be nice to see it in action before buying.

^I had planned on having some pictures posted by today, but I just didn't have time last night to do it. Hopefully I'll have some soon, I'm going to try for tomorrow.

Sounds like the extra price VS the Aixis labbies is worth it - I was really hoping the Aixiz would be a bit more stable at that 100mW-ish point, sounds like these would work a bit better ...

Thanks for the info - now get us those pix :)

^The aixiz labbies are a relatively good solution at their price point, but they can be a little unstable, that is true. These modules are in a whole different quality ballpark, and for the price they are a great deal, just like the Aixiz modules are for their price. The main issue I've had with the Aixiz modules is that they can be inconsistent. Out of the 6 that I originally bought, I have 4 left that I use regularly because thay are the only ones that are truly stable. In the case of the Aixiz labbies, any ~100mW green labby for $65 is an awesome deal, but one can't expect miracles.

i ordered my module about a week ago from o-like and it arrived yesterday. i already put it in my RPL host and powered on the meter. i ordered the 30mW 532nm laser module for $18 + $4 S&H. i was amazed at the output. 62mW of 532nm for $22.
very satisfied. next will be the 150mW module (see what the output is there)

south-park-kick-ass.jpg

Last edited:
So I said I'd throw some pics up here, but my camera is apparently broken. I'll be working on getting some pics here, but in the interim if anyone needs to know what the units look like pictures are available by clicking the link in my original post.

Hey EF, do these have the same threaded mounting holes at the Aixiz modules? I'm thinking on picking a couple of these up, but my mounts are already made... Thanks!

They do have mounting holes, and I believe they are the standard size for optical tables. They should be the same, but I haven't checked to make sure. I haven't mounted my o-like labby into anything yet..

I know you've already bought several of the Aixiz modules, and I'm sorry they haven't been working out as well as you would like. These are twice as expensive, but I guarantee you'll instantly be able to see why. They're much more powerful, and they will most likely last twice as long if not more..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Amigo - and don't get me wrong, once I got the Aixiz modules dialed in they're great, I'm just looking for a bit more power for the lumia wheel experiment...

I saw these on o-like's site, and they looked decent so I thought I'd try one out.. The end result: I'm HIGHLY impressed.

*I'm writing this while on a break from work, so pictures will have to be posted later.

The package arrived in about 4 days (I used EMS for shipping). It was EXTREMELY well packaged and survived the trip in perfect condition.

The power supply accepts 90-240VAC but it doesn't come with a wall plug, so I just soldered a lamp cord on it for testing purposes.

The beam exits the aperture with a 1mm diameter (which is smaller than the specs state) and the divergence I estimate to be around 1.5-1.8 mrad, (which is more than the specs state). These units are IR filtered.

The actual power output is anywhere between 150-175mW depending on ambient temperature, (these are estimated power readings using a laserbee power sensor. Unfortunately this is the only laser power meter I have right now, as my trusty LaserCheck broke some time ago.) so that's a nice bonus.. (I don't have power vs. time graphing ability, so that will have to be done by someone else sometime.)

The unit handles modulation very well once it warms up (a 10min warmup is recommended) and remains very stable at all modulation frequencies. The driver is rated to provide TTL modulation capability up to 10kHz, which it did with no difficulty.

All told, I highly recommend these units as they are very high-quality for $126USD plus shipping. The build quality is extremely good, making these units an ideal cost effective solution for a scanner, or just for fun.

My only complaint is that the listed specs are not correct. The beam diameter and divergence are both incorrect.

Will post pics by tomorrow.

I bought the same lab-style module and was somewhat disappointed / surprised to find that there was no way to power it! My module also has 3 wires (I believe, I'm at work, it's at home) that are randomly jutting out from the power supply portion of the module I believe... can I just attach a straight 3 prong power cord to this thing? Such as cutting the end off a 3 prong computer power cord and wiring it to these 3 wires and have it work? How do I know which wire is for which, as no wiring diagram came with my module?

Any help you can lend me would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

There should be only two wires for mains power, one blue, one brown. You can just solder a lamp cord to them, and it will work. AC does not require any polarity. (I'm also at work right now, but I'm pretty sure there are only two wires).

The other two wires attached by a connector next to the laser head cable connector is the TTL modulation input.

There should be only two wires for mains power, one blue, one brown. You can just solder a lamp cord to them, and it will work. AC does not require any polarity. (I'm also at work right now, but I'm pretty sure there are only two wires).

The other two wires attached by a connector next to the laser head cable connector is the TTL modulation input.

Ok, you might be right, maybe there is only two wires. So I can just slap hook those two up to a lamp cord, plug the thing in and it should lase huh? That sounds good, I got a bunch of optics and mirrors recently and if I can make this thing lase tonight, I'll take some beam shots as I attempt to snake the laser around my whole house. =)

-Jesse