Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: Aurora SSC P7 AK-P7-5 "900 lumens"

I just disassembled the light (mostly).
The + battery contact board in the pill appears to have no driver on it. So this light is not regulated.

With a fresh 18650 it pulls 1.25A and with 2 CR123As it pulls 2.4A and is about 30% brighter.

rhd

If that's true - then I wouldn't be surprised if you could actually get more light simply by using a different 18650.

If that emitter is really direct driven, and it's only pulling 1.25 A, then I think the weak link might be your battery. It doesn't sound like you have a bad battery - but direct driven, that emitter should be pulling a lot more.

Thoughts anyone?

Don't use CR123A's!!!! You're lucky you didn't kill the light right then - in terms of electrical power you just gave it 4.8A.

If the 18650 is working at 4.2 volts like normal, there's no problem there. Some LEDs are just freaks, I've seen 1A and 4.5A draws from a P7 before.

For example, the output of drivers in their lights, is generally dead on. I'm really curious about the resistor in the tailcap. I've never seen that before. The only direct drive light I've owned still had a non-driver pwm.

Just curious how many of these lights do you own? I have 3, and all of them are 2-mode and use a resistor.