Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: 5W 450nm Blue Laser

Keaton

Since this is my first review I won't be making it too terribly wrong or else I will end up stating things that don't really matter. But I will cover what I feel I need to cover, so without further ado, here it is:

P.S The manufacturer who I got this from sells this host and the laser to many other people who use it under different names. So this is a review for anything alike, some of the names you might recognize or see is Oxlasers, Thor Ultra, or Thanos.

Packaging

First off, I just wanna say the packaging was amazing,it came safe and snug in a nice high quality leather case. I did pay an extra 35.00 for the case though. I think it is worth it for the extra money because it's a nice storage place for this massive thing and looks cool. Everything came packaged and in order. It comes with 2 keys(I'm guessing it has 2 in case you lose one). And it nothing could have been better so I give the packaging a solid 10/10, pictures below.​
DOXXGv.jpg

pAWkNX.jpg

The Host

Now, this thing is massive. It measures about 35.5 cm in length and 3.5 in width. It weighs also about 0.5 kg or 1 pound. This thing is also pretty beastly looking, I like it a lot. It comes with a keylock or a code lock so you can make sure no one uses it if you have small children running around. Since this thing is massive, it takes two 26650 batteries. It charges on a 3.7V Wall Adapter or just a normal battery charger that can charge 26650's. Overall, this part was to talk about the host but I just provided those details because I thought it would fit well in this section since It's about the hardware and stuff. I give the host a 9/10, pictures below.​
1p6g7l.jpg

tTe7YE.jpg

Qk2gvR.jpg

The Laser

So this thing is 5W 450nm Laser. You NEED Safety glasses for this. And not some cheap ones, some nice ones from survivallasers or something. Especially if you're thinking of doing any burning. The laser has 3 modes. High power, low power, and strobe. The strobe mode blinks about every quarter to half a second, closer to a quarter. The beam on this thing is very bright especially at night. I did get some fog shots and those will be below and this thing in the fog is just absolutely beautiful. You can even see this things beam in the daytime just a tiny bit. The divergence on this thing isn't too great, I've never really had a problem with it though. It is a bit wide at long distances but it isn't much of a bother, and as with many blue lasers, divergence is never too great. This thing has a duty cycle of about 120 seconds actually, which is kinda odd as far as duty cycles go but It's nice if you wanna use it for longer than normal lasers can. This laser will cost you about 150-300 dollars.(Different sites) I will post at the end the best sites to get it from. But, now, I give the actual laser a 8.8(Weird number I know) Pictures Below​
CW5aGq.jpg

Xm1dr9.jpg

6EgGBV.jpg

7RMNDf.jpg

tGrdKU.jpg

j0RNSy.jpg

gZCMn7.jpg

vO4AHq.jpg

5Bi78i.jpg

2hqDYj.jpg

SQsEay.jpg

I am very sorry about the blurry pictures, I even read the sticky on how to make pictures more clear but I couldn't get it to work too well.

Final Verdict

Overall, I give this laser an 8.8/10. Stunning beam, nice and cool looking. But the divergence and price did set it back a little bit. I hope you enjoyed this review, if you do have any questions about the laser, you can reply to this thread asking or just message me. Also if you would like to critique me about my first review, go right ahead, I need the advice. Also, I found 2 of the best sites you can purchase this laser from, First one, I highly recommend since it's the cheapest and comes with everything Here: and you can also purchase from LaserPointerStore [URL="https://laserpointerstore.com/laser-pointers/thor-ultra-laser-pointer"]Here: (much more expensive) [/URL]

That was a pretty good review for your first try. I was wondering how much it cost, since you mentioned it was expensive. Some of your photos look more violet than a 450nm actually does, but that is a camera issue. Also, who did you end up buying it from? You said it was on www.laserpointerstore.com, but it sounded like you got yours someplace else. :thanks:

Keaton

That was a pretty good review for your first try. I was wondering how much it cost, since you mentioned it was expensive. Some of your photos look more violet than a 450nm actually does, but that is a camera issue. Also, who did you end up buying it from? You said it was on www.laserpointerstore.com, but it sounded like you got yours someplace else. :thanks:

The laser can vary in cost depending on where you got it from. I got it as a christmas present and my father actually got it directly from the manufacturer. But I recommend oxlasers as it is the same laser with everything like the case, batteries, and safety glasses but at a cheap price(actually on sale right now) Since I expressed interest in it and my dad works with many Chinese companies, he actually purchased it from here But oxlasers one can be found Here And yeah, the camera makes it look more 445 or violet than 450, it is much more blue and actual 450nm in real life.

BobMc

As mentained a very good review for your first one. Enjoy all the photons and thanks for such a good read. :gj:

Good Job on your first review...

It would have been helpful to include links to where
you got it and the actual price you got it for.

BTW... Dark Blue text on a Dark Gray background
is next to impossible to read.

Would have also been helpful to know hoe close
to 5W the Laser actually is...:beer:

Jerry

Keaton

Good Job on your first review...

It would have been helpful to include links to where
you got it and the actual price you got it for.

BTW... Dark Blue text on a Dark Gray background
is next to impossible to read.

Would have also been helpful to know hoe close
to 5W the Laser actually is...:beer:

Jerry

Well my father got it from Xindlandlasers as he works with many chinese companies and such, I don't know the exact price but I can say probably around 300. As for the power rating, I saw in the reviewers section of a product that someone had tested it with an LPM, and they got 4.8W

One thing I've noticed about these Chinese lasers like this one is they use a much smaller heat sink than many builders here would ever think of using. You can't tell how hot the diode is getting by feeling the outside of the host as it is steel, which doesn't conduct heat well. With a ~5 watt laser, I would keep the on times limited to about a minute. You don't want to lose it to thermal runaway.

Keaton

One thing I've noticed about these Chinese lasers like this one is they use a much smaller heat sink than many builders here would ever think of using. You can't tell how hot the diode is getting by feeling the outside of the host as it is steel, which doesn't conduct heat well. With a ~5 watt laser, I would keep the on times limited to about a minute. You don't want to lose it to thermal runaway.

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Nice initial review Keaton! I purchased this laser in September under the “Thor Ultra” brand, and have been very pleased with it, although it does tend to become warm quickly. I measured its Low and High power at 3,150 mW and 5,460 mW, respectively, using my 5.2W LaserBee AX3 LPM from 9 inches. Also, the Sanwu 3X Optical Expander perfectly fits the host, and greatly increases its overall performance.

Great first review BUT... "...I won't be making it too terribly wrong .... methinks you meant LONG not WRONG??

+rep
BE CAREFUL 5W can be harmful quickly.

Nice review, hope it serves you well and for a long time.
Looks like a great squirrel repellent, Just aim at the nuts and not at the eyes :eg: Just kidding its probably a bad idea.