Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Reversed battery

Pi, I understood the thread "really teacher" my dog didn't eat my homework this time:whistle: I've seen ads or a least I think I have on batteries that say reverse polarity protection on top off "over charge or discharge" protection. Is a flat top just for spring to spring contact? I have to go back cause something Benn said about mechanical avoiding chance? I've been up since 2:00 maby I sleep posted:thinking:

Yes a flat top is for a spring at both ends or they won't make contact, or two of them together also won't make contact. That's why many of us buy tiny neodymium magnets to be able to convert flat top batteies to button top as needed.

The protected batteries just turn off to prevent over discharging them, as this will ruin the battery and make it dangerous to try to charge it if it's over discharged, there is no reverse polarity protection built into the battery itself.

Alan

GSS

Yes a flat top is for a spring at both ends or they won't make contact, or two of them together also won't make contact. That's why many of us buy tiny neodymium magnets to be able to convert flat top batteies to button top as needed.

The protected batteries just turn off to prevent over discharging them, as this will ruin the battery and make it dangerous to try to charge it if it's over discharged, there is no reverse polarity protection built into the battery itself.

Alan
:eek::eek::eek::whistle: At least give me that I might of seen it on one of those scammer ebay sites.........Edit... i'm going to find that sight till it kills me

Last edited:
shouldn't the system be roll back to before the changes? the poll haven't been update for days....

Benm

Reverse polarity protection can come in several different forms. For something that is battery powered, it can be

- mechanical protection, which uses the nipple/button in such a fashion that a wrongly inserted battery makes no contact (very common in AA-cell powered things, but does not work in 2-spring battery holders).

- electronic protection that disconnects the device via some means when reverse polarity is applied (common in things that are hardwired but prone to errors in polarity).

The other things can be in batteries, chargers or both: A charger can have protection that disconnects when you insert a battery the wrong way around. A battery can have built-in circuitry that prevents you from charging it the wrong way around (essentially over-discharge protection) .

Pman

Reverse protection on a driver doesn't mean that you can get away with it. The diode shouldn't blow though.

Ha, I've been posting and suddenly noticed I'm over 3000 posts:)

I think the system is back to the way it was.

Last edited:

Alan

I have fixed the laser. The diode was ok.the board was fried. Laser works great

Pman

I'll take the pile of lasers people gave up on because they assumed everything was fried.

GSS

Happy 3000 great posts Pman, but I dont think the system is back yet and its a shame cause you could of got some great rep just reaching that milestone.:beer: How did I get away with not blowing my "yes cheapie" 301 650nm at around 190mw when I put the battery in backwards and repeatedly played with the switches?